creating/texturing levels and big structures.

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

creating/texturing levels and big structures.

Post by Duality »

Ok I seen some guys screenshot about a level on a single thread.. I was interested in attempting to make some levels but the problem is.. I can't UV map an entire large level in wings but I can model it..

Is there any program that will texture by face instead of UV mapping? Like putting a whole texture pic on one face??

I know wings 3d is only good for creating and making UV maps for the game textures only.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

levels? uru? you mean base interiors...
we need some nice base interiors sure--but maybe making them look really nice, raytracing them,, and making screenshots would be best for the next release--though saving the 3d model could be cool
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by enlightenment »

Is there any program that will texture by face instead of UV mapping? Like putting a whole texture pic on one face??
One texture per face is still a type of UV mapping. It's just not a kind of UV mapping that AutoUV can generate automatically. Wings AutoUV can do this kind of mapping on a very limited basis using the AuvChart options on the AutoUV menu but be advised that you can only force a maximum of nine polygon groups to have dedicated UV maps.

For this kind of thing you really need a higher-end modeller. Blender--along with the pro graphics tools (Maya, 3DSMax, Softimage, Lightwave et el)--can do per-face UV mapping but at present there's currently (AFIAK) no way to export UV-mapped objects from Blender into Wings or directly into xmesh.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I don't think you really need to texture in 1 piece a level: just make it in many wings parts, texture each part separatly, and create a new model, import each part: you will have 1 uv map by piece, and the export plugin work with it
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

will post some examples later, but my concept is simple: a sort of bank of parts, pre textured then when you create your map you just have to connect them.
I see dead polygons....
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

I'm a little confused -- are we talking about rendering images to use in the current base interface system, or are you trying to model for the upcoming 3D walkabout interface that zaydana is working on?

*apologies in andvance if any of you are working with zaydana on said interface -- you would definitely know more than me*

If it's the latter, keep in mind you may be jumping the gun a little -- I haven't heard anything about that other than it's being worked on. Is there any indication that the engine will need levels built in a certain way/format, or are we a long way from even that much information?

-pincushionman
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I'm a little confused -- are we talking about rendering images to use in the current base interface system, or are you trying to model for the upcoming 3D walkabout interface that zaydana is working on?
Well, for me, we are speaking about walking and acting in levels. Didn't see zaydana's work ( oops) but for me it is more like adding an exploration (pedestrian ) part in the game. Hellcatv doesn't seems to agree? Would you prefer asort aof remake of actuals backgrounds? Couldn't we mix both ideas? The "problem" (wich is not a real one) with remaking interiors backrounds with my actual work is that I counted each polygon to be sure to fit 3d engine limitations

@Hellcatv: If we succeed in making useable interiors, should you accept them as "official data"? Have you seen my last post ( http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 6&start=45) about actuals problems, workarounds and possibilities ? And what's your feeling about this feature?
I see dead polygons....
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

ethereal walker: by the sousd of it you are talking about the part where you follow or are are humans, not spaceships. I is only just starting working on it, and really we need to finish designing and start coding ti before we start modelling :P I don't even think I will use xmesh for it... not really suited to detailed animated characters... and i won't model levels i will use some sort of BSP tree thingo (i'm still learning,...)

so don't start dreaming about models yet :( but if you want to help code or design send me a message and i'll see what i can do =)
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

it makes sense to have a separate engine for the FPS part if we're going to do it properly. multiple engines in the one game arn't that uncommon - eg Unreal II uses a separate FPS engine for interior and exterior levels. I think Descent 3 may have seamlessly used separate engines too (do NOT quote me on the latter...)

Wouldn't need to be an impressive engine. infact we may just be able to augment the existing vs engine, or better yet find an existing open source FPS engine. Using a separate engine would likely speed up the productiion of this part considerably, rather than wasting time trying to force the VS engine to do something it shouldn't...
enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by enlightenment »

The Quake and Quake II engines have been GPLed.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

quake3 too, but, for me, not really fan of this idea. The question is what are we needing, and what have we for now. we might only need bsp, 3ds support and portal (as soon as I'm sure the idea I posted about with lod might solve portal problems, and bsp is only, and I you stay low poly you should rest on xml raw datas) If a develloper disagree with the solutions I gave in last post about walking in 3d cockpit explain me what, to give me a way to search
I see dead polygons....
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Instead of having two separate engines one for being environments, and one for space, would it not be wiser in the long run to have a single engine and just disable the potions that do not overlap to streamline it? Although having two does sound good now, in the end, it may become a huge hindrance

Just my 2 cents.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

Instead of having two separate engines one for being environments, and one for space, would it not be wiser in the long run to have a single engine and just disable the potions that do not overlap to streamline it? Although having two does sound good now, in the end, it may become a huge hindrance
Depends HOW it's done.

For example:
if we're talking about cockpit walkarounds, then we'd need to keep things loading quickly. so perhaps the walking engine would need to be preloaded, and the texturing etc within the 3d environment would need to be simple (ie textures etc load really fast). So for this you'd prolly be looking at Quake 1, maybe Q2 if things were kept small.... wouldn't touch quake3 with a ten-foot pole for this. just too complicated for what we want to do and we can't wait that 1 minute for the cockpit to load while in-flight. waaay too dangerous. But Q1 or 2 could prolly load in time. Maybe. Somebody would have to look into it.

but think: using a GPL Quake engine would mean not having to have an uber-vs-engine, faster implementation, and the tools are already there for level design etc etc etc. We could possibly use existing creature models, existing textures, maybe even augment existing levels (depending on how far the GPL licence extends).

The alternative would be:
Wait a year for people to successfully augment the VS engine.
Wait another year for people to figure out how to create levels and models etc and produce enough to be integrated in the game.
Think what this time could be better used for??? Using an existing engine would improve the chances of this feature being implemented....

Does anybody know if the Half-Life engine is GPL? Coz that already has support for basic interfaces and character interaction too....