coming back in your ship in 3d

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

etheral walker wrote:Then comes my question, is it possible to have an export plugin where you can specify user objects? By example, if i put 3 spots named "computer1", is it possible to retrieve them in the xunit file? because modelling a server room is funny, but texturing 800 computers on a 1024*1024 map is not really marvellous. If we could have the possibility of making our own flags, we just have to put 800 spots well oriented, and they will load and draw automatiquely. For things like ships, things which ones the player should interact, it will be another problem, but I got no real walkaround for now

I will put this on my todo list, but i cannot say if the orientation will make it through because the xunit-format does not support directions of the xmeshes. (hellcatv ???)
So if you want it to look right you must have one more xmesh in which the geometry looks right :?

But as workaround just make one computer, texture it and then duplicate/rotate it often as you need it.

Pontiac
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I see the problem, but I don't thing wings will accept your solution (duplication): it is unable to merge textures maps: when you import an already textured object, you got 2 maps, and after the export in xmesh I hadn't seen the possibillity to specify my second texture file. Maybe by using the possiblity of having multiples xmeshes (specified in .xunit) in a same model?
will try by this way[/quote]
I see dead polygons....
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

etheral walker wrote:I see the problem, but I don't thing wings will accept your solution (duplication): it is unable to merge textures maps: when you import an already textured object, you got 2 maps, and after the export in xmesh I hadn't seen the possibillity to specify my second texture file.
Not in wings/plugin (yet), but just edit the xmesh file and change the texture-filename to your common texture-file. The UV-data stays the same.
To make this better i already included a config file for export in the nightlies of the plugin.
See this thread.
Maybe it is of help for you.

Pontiac
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I tried it and I got only thoses lines in xmesh file:

<!-- Xmesh exported from Wings 3D 0.98.10 -->
<!-- How to edit this file: http://www.joeredcloud.com/kandarwiki/i ... tMeshFiles -->

My wings version is the good one, I also tryed by put my file in place of the test.wings, nok, same problem
I see dead polygons....
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

The error message of the erlang shell would be helpfull.

But for starting here a short description ;-)

It is not possible (yet) to export without a (correct) config-file.
You need (a different) one for every model you want to export, because you may have different names/textures/...
Please open the sample/config.txt and edit it so you have the same names like in you wings model.
In the sample config.txt there is a short description for this too.

Example:
./mymodel.wings
./config/config.txt
./config/unit.txt -specified in config.txt.

Open the ./mymodel.wings and export it into the same directory where the config-directory is (in this case ./).

I hope i wrote it understandable :roll:

Pontiac
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

fully undestandable :) , but I got nothing in erlang output windows: is there something to do to have something?
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

find it (open log file, new, and work with wings :) )

here is my log:

Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.2.3.3 [threads:0]

Eshell V5.2.3.3 (abort with ^G)
1> wpc_xmesh:command/3: bad return value: {'EXIT',
{format,
[{io,format,
[<0.46.0>,
"<Mesh Scale=\"~p\" ~s >\r
n",
[1,
{error,
"No MESH entry found:
|...}]]},
{e3d_xmesh,
objects_write2file,
6},
{e3d_xmesh,export,4},
{wpc_xmesh,export_1,4},
{wings_file,do_export,4},
{wpa,export,3},
{wings_plugin,command,3},
{wings,do_command_1,2}|
more]}}
wpc_xmesh:command/3: bad return value: {'EXIT',
{format,
[{io,format,
[<0.57.0>,
n",
[1,
{error,
"No MESH entry found:
|...}]]},
{e3d_xmesh,
objects_write2file,
6},
{e3d_xmesh,export,4},
{wpc_xmesh,export_1,4},
{wpa,export,3},
{wings,do_command_1,2}|
more]}}
{format,
[{io,format,
[<0.68.0>,
n",
[1,
{error,
"No MESH entry found:
|...}]]},
{e3d_xmesh,
objects_write2file,
6},
{e3d_xmesh,export,4},
{wpc_xmesh,export_1,4},
{wpa,export,3},
{wings,do_command_1,2}|
more]}}
{format,
[{io,format,
[<0.79.0>,
n",
[1,
{error,
"No MESH entry found:
|...}]]},
{e3d_xmesh,
objects_write2file,
6},
{e3d_xmesh,export,4},
{wpc_xmesh,export_1,4},
{wpa,export,3},
{wings,do_command_1,2}|
more]}}
{format,
[{io,format,
[<0.90.0>,
n",
[1,
{error,
"No MESH entry found:
|...}]]},
{e3d_xmesh,
objects_write2file,
6},
{e3d_xmesh,export,4},
{wpc_xmesh,export_1,4},
{wpa,export,3},
{wings,do_command_1,2}|
more]}}
{format,
[{io,format,
[<0.101.0>,
n",
[1,
{error,
"No MESH entry found:
|...}]]},
{e3d_xmesh,
objects_write2file,
6},
{e3d_xmesh,export,4},
{wpc_xmesh,export_1,4},
{wpa,export,3},
{wings,do_command_1,2}|
more]}}

And I will try to edit the config file before export
I see dead polygons....
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

etheral walker wrote:fully undestandable :) , but I got nothing in erlang output windows: is there something to do to have something?
If there is really nothing on console try to scroll up. Sometimes the erlang-console don't shows the latest output :?

Have you tried to export the sample wings-file in the same driectory?

If there is no error-msg, could you please send me your files to test it?

Pontiac
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

ok foerget my last post:
the entries "No MESH entry foundNo MESH entry found" measn you have not inserted you object names into the config file (for texture-names :-)).
something like:

Code: Select all

{"yourobjectname","texture='yourobjectname.jpg' sharevertex='0'"}

This should work

Pontiac
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

It works! reboot (remember I installed windows just for wings) and all is ok now. don't really understand the why of the because, but ...
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

problems with a hard drive, full of SMART alerts :cry:
I see dead polygons....
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

etheral walker wrote:It works! reboot (remember I installed windows just for wings) and all is ok now. don't really understand the why of the because, but ...
*grmpzzzfffs* .......AAAAAAAAHHHHh Windows :evil:
;-)

Glad it works now.
But please remember: it's not even a beta release so don't expect that it will work smoothly (though i hope it does)
Pontiac
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

model seems to load without any problems in vs; your plugin seems to work. the model is huge then i will need some time to check if everything is ok (:twisted: isolated vertices and undesirables polygons :twisted: )
I see dead polygons....
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

T think one problem that could occur is a false direction of the tags (from wcp_tag.beam).
So maybe weapons/turrets may not point i the right direction.
I have had no time to test this.

Pontiac
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

just a little precision about the last wings plugin version, maybe usefull for others modelers: the wings file can have the name you want, BUT ALL DIFFERENTS ELEMENTS OF YOUR GEOMETRY WINDOWS MUST BE DECLARED IN CONFIG.TXT. Really powerfull, solve many texturing problems, but I searched during a long time to find it :oops:
I see dead polygons....
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

etheral walker wrote:just a little precision about the last wings plugin version, maybe usefull for others modelers: the wings file can have the name you want, BUT ALL DIFFERENTS ELEMENTS OF YOUR GEOMETRY WINDOWS MUST BE DECLARED IN CONFIG.TXT. Really powerfull, solve many texturing problems, but I searched during a long time to find it :oops:
You're right, i should have made this clearer ;-)

Do you have a suggestion where i should write this?
Because when i write this into the config file itself nobody will read it ;-)

Do you think the nighly plugin is stable enough for a beta release?
If this is the case i will write a short (short, because most of it is already in the config.txt itself) description in the readme.

Pontiac

PS: yes the wiki will be updated with the first beta release too (maybe the legacy descriptions will remain somewhere in the wiki)
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

for me this version seems stable, I don't know if yoiu remenber the img of my fisrt plane, but I re exported it and some "whytes polygons" disapeared (the big on the nose). Have you modified something in normals? Tags are ok (didn't tryed turrets one), but of sure it 's a bit RTFM for now ;) I should write a little something if it can help.
It can be put in the wiki, but my first impression with this wiki was a bit strange: you begin in "playing vegastrike root" , if we can say it as it, instead of vegastrike root (EG: http://www.joeredcloud.com/kandarwiki/i ... rikeManual instead of http://www.joeredcloud.com/kandarwiki/i ... strikeWiki), and then I was'nt able to find any informations.
(damn my english is awful)
You might change the name of the menu entry in something like read blabla before use" ?
and the screen of the day, low poly, alpha texture but IN GAME please (I modified my approach of this work by creating many primites (computer, chairs, tunnels ... to have only to place elements when I decide to make a level, like for space cemettaries).some little clipping problems to solve, i know :oops:

Ps: do you know a way to implements portal in thoses sorts of maps?
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

and i forgave a little thing, the only way for the cockpits is exporting them as ship, an going in rear view :oops:
I see dead polygons....
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

etheral walker wrote:for me this version seems stable, I don't know if yoiu remenber the img of my fisrt plane, but I re exported it and some "whytes polygons" disapeared (the big on the nose). Have you modified something in normals?
Don't remember exactly, but i think i haven't changed a thing :roll: ;-)
, but Tags are ok (didn't tryed turrets one), but of sure it 's a bit RTFM for now ;)
Could you please be so kind to try to place weapons and point them a bit to the left/right and see if it's exported correctly (=they should shoot into this direction)?
I should write a little something if it can help.
It can be put in the wiki, but my first impression with this wiki was a bit strange: you begin in "playing vegastrike root" , if we can say it as it, instead of vegastrike root (EG: http://www.joeredcloud.com/kandarwiki/i ... rikeManual instead of http://www.joeredcloud.com/kandarwiki/i ... strikeWiki), and then I was'nt able to find any informations.
(damn my english is awful)
You might change the name of the menu entry in something like read blabla before use" ?
I don't understand exactly what you mean ;-) , but if you mean the "Manual"-link on the vegastrike site: there is a "Links"-Link too and it point to the main page of the wiki.
and the screen of the day, low poly, alpha texture but IN GAME please (I modified my approach of this work by creating many primites (computer, chairs, tunnels ... to have only to place elements when I decide to make a level, like for space cemettaries).some little clipping problems to solve, i know :oops:
looking really good, maybe just add one terminal embedded in the wall and we can use it in a hangar scene :D
Ps: do you know a way to implements portal in thoses sorts of maps?
I have no clue, sorry.

Pontiac
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

yep, i think the manual link might link to vegastrike root, and no playing vegastrike part of the wiki
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

and for the terminal on the wall, as far as it is a corridor primitive, and it not really wide, i prefer put them in rooms for now, but i'm open to all feedback (wil release a beta in 2 days, for now I try to find a smart way to join primitives (cannot bridge them as far as they are already textured)) maybe by creating angle primitives
I see dead polygons....
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

The "manual"-link links to the manual-part of the wiki. and the "links"-link to the wiki itself.

IMHO the "Links" text should be changed to "WIKI"

Pontiac
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

etheral walker wrote:and for the terminal on the wall, as far as it is a corridor primitive, and it not really wide, i prefer put them in rooms for now, but i'm open to all feedback (wil release a beta in 2 days, for now I try to find a smart way to join primitives (cannot bridge them as far as they are already textured)) maybe by creating angle primitives
Don#t know, but maybe a post in one of the wings-forums will help:
http://pub33.ezboard.com/bnendowingsmirai
http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=83

PS: what exactly will you do with this model / what will it be used for ?

Pontiac
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

this part of corridor let me walk from my main hangar to officer's mess, and i will add more doors to go in pilots' personnal rooms. And I use the same models, but with others textures, for an abandonned giant starship with ennemis drones in
I see dead polygons....
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Ah, so you are modeling this for future indoor scenes in the game?

Pon'just curious'tiac