Missile Bomber?

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Missile Bomber?

Post by Phlogios »

I guess some of you already have seen my first ships (quite bad really), and I wonder if I'm making progress in the right direction? I admire your work folks, especially Oblivion's and Paslowo's. (Don't remember any other cool ship-designers). So, I was looking around on the site, and found lots of ships that inspired me. I was looking at the already existing ships, and user-made ships, and that Apache-chopper. As I drew inspiration from all of these, this bomber-ship came up in my head. After working with Wings3d for 50 minutes (not blender because I think it sucks), the result looked like this:

http://www.freewebs.com/dashriprock/missilebomber.htm

I know all of you guys think the roof isn't important, but maybe it can serve some kind of purpose, maybe for showing BIG and glowing faction-logos or numbers? :wink:
Last edited by Phlogios on Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

I forgot, the missile tubes are just temporary.

I kind of have an idea for the Reindeer Shuttle, you think I'm ready for taking on an open task?
Tseng
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Tseng »

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw that ship was "damn! that thing looks FAST!". I kinda like how it is with the arch thing over the turbine looking engine thingies, I just think what it's missing is some sorta wing like protrusion on the sides coming forward (think cylons). Good work, I really like it.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Hey thanks! :) You're my best friend now :P Just kidding. You think I should add some wings? Maybe I should, I think it looks kind of naked too.
You should see it without the missile tubes :lol: . Yea, maybe wings could llook cool on the bottom side of the ship.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Tseng wrote:
I kinda like how it is with the arch thing over the turbine looking engine thingies
Thing is, those engine thingies are not engines, they are missile tubes. But I could change that and put some large engines there instead. That would change the whole ship though, making it more like "super-fast-gunship", than missile-gunship. But that's ok, I like the idea. Maybe the super-fast-gunship could be used for raiding big cruisers and running away from it really fast?
Tseng
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Tseng »

Well, I see that now that those are missile tubes, but I gotta say missile bomber < HEAVY INTERCEPTER. Heavy intercepter.... up untill now I believe that phrase would be something of an oxymoron.... But this ship fits the bill nicely.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

you think I'm ready for taking on an open task?
check the vessels list and ask JackS.

The roof could hold the shield generators/heatsinks..

I like it a LOT! :wink: Though how big are you planning this to be? It looks like it's the size of an interceptor. If you plan it to be bigger, you'd have to find a way to make it look bigger. But it looks really cool. It reminds me, I don't know why, of the firefly ship from Serenity.

I like the way the missile pods look, but it looks dangerous. One of the launches could snag the cockpit. hehe. But I like it anyhow, scrap reality.

A light bomber (i.e. a fighter with missiles instead of big guns) looks like the most proper ship class. Just support maybe (Fleet Point Defense?), and not much help in capship battles.

Well... go on and texture it! :D
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

What kind of ship did you say you wanted it to be? I'm going to scrap the missile tubes, (too many polygons) and maybe put something else there. Maybe two short wings where the lower tubes are, and put som lasers/tags there. But tell me, what exactly are the tags good for? Is it true that when you buy lasers, they will automatically be installed there (as separate models), or is it just where the beams/arrays will jump out? I think I remember that in the Privateer remake, lasers were installed as "cannons" at some places on the ship. Is it like that in Vega Strike too? Or do we have to make cannons ourselves and put them on the ships? Maybe save lasers as "bfxm"s and put them in a certain directory and hack the source code a bit? I really want separate lasers. I think cannons built on top of ships in the ship model is ugly and wierd.

Maybe I could put huge thrusters under the roof...
Just please give me some directions! I dont want want the ship to end up looking disgusting.

Oblivion, I'll try to texture it, it wont be as sexy as your ships but I'll try.
Tseng
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Tseng »

I vote HUGE thrusters under the roof thingy. I'd make them cylindrical shaped like the missile tubes were to stop the model from being too drasticly changed, and the wings I'd have curving forward and not to the sides very far while being sloped down from the roof and being flat/parallel with the bottom of the craft.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

You can leave hardpoints for guns/turrets if you want. Just leave an ideally flat space with a vertex at the center and that's it... I think. lol.
I'm not a coder.

Privateer remake uses the VS engine after all, so what's done there can be/is done here.

btw:... :lol: my ships are not sexy.. weell.. if you think oil drums are sexy. :wink:

EDIT: Sexy are stanj's ships.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Your textured ships have sexy textures, that's what I meant :P I downloaded some of your finished textures somewhere in this forum. I'll try to put those on my ship. But before I do, I need directions from you guys! What do I do about the missile tubes? Scrap and make new ones? Scrap and put small wings and cannons there? What do I put under the roof? Thrusters? Which factions should use the ship? Confed? Purists?
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

OOPS! Didn't see your last reply, tseng :S wings curving forward and sloping down? Sure, I'll fix that easily. And I'll put HUGE thrusters under the roof :)