A new ship finally done..

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

A new ship finally done..

Post by Duality »

pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

awesome design 8)

keep the good work coming ;-)

Pontiac
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

are you going to try to make some new factions with the ships youve been doing?
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

i don't really know.. but the same faction using a mixed chassias type of ships wouldent look right. So I'm still thinking about it..
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

ok.. last but not least...

Post by Duality »

http://www.strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/ ... /otay1.jpg

http://www.strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/ ... /otay2.jpg

.. I got one more chassias to go.. the Acamar is in one of the last ship chassias.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

nice--this one would make a totally sweet trading ship
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

well its a light fighter but it will have plenty of cargo, until I can makea cargo ship for each faction.
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

Just remember that cargo ships as big as a carrier do not have one man cockpits...
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

so in that case.. I got a questions to ask.

will a ship thats piloted by one man which is ment to be for hauling cargo only (not carriers, freighters) be nessecary to have in the game??

or are all ships that haul cargo the size of freighter?
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

Well, I've commented on this before, but I think it's lost, so I'll say it again:

Any ship that would take more than a day or so to reach its destination will need, at the very least, a head (toilet). If it's going to take several days or more, it will need a bunk and a galley.

Also, big ships have a bridge, not a cockpit, as well as crew quarters.

So it really depends on how big the ship is, and how long it can spend in space. I like to use the cargo ship and it's about the size of a corvette, so having a one-man cockpit on the front is just wrong.
Last edited by Shrike on Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

If I recall correctly, the Galaxy from Privateer was a cargo ship, and it had a two seater cockpit and a hatch leading to aft comparments.

The Millenium Falcon. A light freighter which could carry a fair load. Four seater cockpit! (i THINK Ben and Luke were sitting when they were about to make their first jump to lightspeed after leaving Tatooine).

Shrike is right. You can't go very far in a one-man cockpit (unless it's specialized to take care of all your... needs on a long patrol). I would suggest giving each ship a 'consumables' rating, to keep one-man fighters from being out and about for weeks on end, and to make investing in a sizeable yet slower ship a better idea.
enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by enlightenment »

A consumables limit sounds good. Just watch out for unintended consequences, however, such as long-range bounty hunting becoming much harder, slower, and more expensive as a result of needing to regularly stop off for resupply.

I'm strongly in favor of going to a 'bridge' model for anything and everything corvette-sized and larger. Flying something the size of a Yavok from a cockpit is just silly. :) Interior rooms on capships would be a nice enhancement, too. Walk out of the bridge and check the local trade prices from an office, for example.
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

Of course I'm not stupid enough to add a one man cockpit with a giant ship a size of a destroyer.

My idea of the ships that haul cargo and non-combat are supposed to be the same size as fighters.. but fatter and hold more cargo. Probably will be named tiny carriers.

But then again its a different universe compared to what other game I played(like freelancer where a ship called Domedary whch is a cargo ship). And I think Shrike was right.. anything type of vessel that hauls cargo, is supposed to be a size of freighters and capships and not have a one man cockpit.

So I think a rogaris light fighter will be good for cargo hauling for now.
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

Duality wrote:Of course I'm not stupid enough to add a one man cockpit with a giant ship a size of a destroyer.
Oh, I wasn't saying you were. Not at all. I just wanted to get my arrogant opinions on the record.

My idea of the ships that haul cargo and non-combat are supposed to be the same size as fighters.. but fatter and hold more cargo. Probably will be named tiny carriers.

But then again its a different universe compared to what other game I played(like freelancer where a ship called Domedary whch is a cargo ship). And I think Shrike was right.. anything type of vessel that hauls cargo, is supposed to be a size of freighters and capships and not have a one man cockpit.

So I think a rogaris light fighter will be good for cargo hauling for now.
Certainly any size ship could and should be used to haul cargo. Looking at UPS, we see that they have everything from mini-vans to big box-vans for local deliveries. Then semi-tractors pulling double trailers to/from airports and distribution centers. And finally the air fleet, which starts from 8-man prop jobs and runs all the way up to full-on double-decker 747s.

One common thing I note about all of these vehicles, none of them have a bunk and galley. The largest, the 747s do have heads, but that's it (Disclaimer: When I operated a 747 Freight loader rig back in the early 80's they didn't, they might have now, I don't know). None of these vehicles is intended to travel more than a day.

And who knows what they put in the "sleepers" of Australian Road Trains...I know that some of these have TVs and VCRs right up on the dash board where the driver can watch the tube and the road at the same time.

http://www.ausfuel.com.au/photoarticles ... 00A3C4.htm

And just for jollies, I thought I'd throw in a link to an FMC main deck loader, which is the biggest loader that I'm checked out on (and have used many times):

http://www.airport-technology.com/contr ... /FMC2.html
Grusifix
Trader
Trader

Post by Grusifix »

Duality wrote:My idea of the ships that haul cargo and non-combat are supposed to be the same size as fighters.. but fatter and hold more cargo. Probably will be named tiny carriers.
I don't agree this one. Why would interceptor or figther haul cargo? I like Duality's models they look great. I think that there should be some kind of basic rules when creating ships.

I think that idea of fighters is that they are small, agile and short manufacture time. They are to be launched from main-ship as a squadron. They have quite limited area of operation due small fueltank. I know that it doesn't fit very well in VS but when multiplayer comes they are good to go.

I think that everybody should think would you really like to fly 10 AU alone in the dark :wink: . Think your self as a pilot and what would you need tp get the job done. Maybe this leads to bigger ships but I'm sure group of bandit fighters can vaporize lonely freighter if they want to.

btw very nice truck you have there.. :idea: Maybe a smaller(optimized) ship could tow containers just like that "tiny"(compared to cargo) truck in the picture.

Shrike.. sorry about the quote
Last edited by Grusifix on Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open your source
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

You credit me with the quote, but I was just quoting Duality.