Proposal for reactor 1

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

ergo
Hunter
Hunter

Proposal for reactor 1

Post by ergo »

As in topic, this is my take on reactors... yes i know... i just cant do anything nice unfortunately :/ but this should be better than what is there now.

512x512

128x128

ps i had a hard drive failure so i dont have any models for my previous work , tru to secure it so it wont get lost ;-)
Using : SVN
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

sweet :-)
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Nicko
Trader
Trader

Post by Nicko »

Cool, but it seems a bit old.
However, what kind of reactor is this supposed to be (fission, fusion, antimatter, whatever...)?
It appears as a fission reactor in an uncommon position (they're vertical, right?)
But, again, that's good...
ergo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ergo »

Nicko wrote:]\

However, what kind of reactor is this supposed to be (fission, fusion, antimatter, whatever...)?
its a whatever reactor :P
Nicko wrote: It appears as a fission reactor in an uncommon position (they're vertical, right?)
But, again, that's good...
i doubt if horizontal or vertical has any sense in 0 grav ;-)
Nicko
Trader
Trader

Post by Nicko »

I asked because in the upgrade description, the ship reactors are described as fusion reactors...
Energy production, the friendly fusion way.
EDIT Pictures in current SVN do not resemble a fusion reactor, too, maybe this is not important...
ergo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ergo »

naaa... its a sci-fi game, i dont think if it should bear too much resemblace to real life, it woul d be boring then ;-)
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Re: Ship Reactors
Unless JackS has changed story background while I was away, ship's reactors are fusion reactors - being the second best energy production/energy efficient system we can imagine (the best is antimatter, but for safety reasons it is best not to put AM reactors on ships that will land in stations/on planets, since loss of control over an AM reactor would likely cause extreme widespread devastation, much moreso than loss of control over a fusion reactor...)

Re: Old Pics
Most of the pics Zeog has uploaded consist of artwork copied/edited/pasted together from freely available pictures on the 'net. Basically, they were cobbled together so that we had something - anything - to appear rather than a blank space. My original intentions here was for such pics to be replaced by original artwork over time. So don't stop, Ergo, whatever you do.
naaa... its a sci-fi game, i dont think if it should bear too much resemblace to real life, it woul d be boring then
True to a point, but we still base a lot of VS tech theory based on current real world theory (see the various posts about believability and suspension of disbelief).

As to the pic itself, considering these reactor's are supposed to be the commonplace powerplant of all spacecraft (barring the occasional AM reactor - see MoI canon), I would imagine a NEW reactor purchased on the market would look... cleaner, more up-to-date. The 'pitting' of the metal casing just doesn't sit right to my eyes.

Hmm, even if it doesn't suit as a ship's reactor, might still be useable as a cargo powerplant (if we still have them, haven't checked yet), and original artwork is always welcome in all forms...
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
ergo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ergo »

no problem, i thought that maybe the reactor 1 could be an old "refurbrished" model and every better model would look nicer and nicer ;-)

maybe i will assemble something new soon :D
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

It's a cool model; even if it's not deemed suitable as a reactor then surely another usage can be found?
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

It looks like it'd be a pretty clean hot-water tank. I'd want to take a shower with that thing holding all the water.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

8) byootiful.

tho I agree that it doesn't fit with being a reactor..

a reactor should be like your earlier capacitator and shield generator models.. clean and shiny and glowy. :P

but it's too pretty to throw away..

hmm..

besides a cargo powerplant, it could be... a

hazardous materials containment tank..

fuel tanks (umm.. petrochemicals or some other more "primitive" fuel?)

how about as a pic for one of the shady mechanic's toys?

i dunno if that exists in the cargo-image-to-be-filled-list, tho. :wink:

Silverain and Zeog know best on these stuff.

@Silverain
Most of the pics Zeog has uploaded consist of artwork copied/edited/pasted together from freely available pictures on the 'net
haha. I just found out that our bartenders are immigrants from Freedroid.
8)
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Nicko
Trader
Trader

Post by Nicko »

@Silverain
Quote:
Most of the pics Zeog has uploaded consist of artwork copied/edited/pasted together from freely available pictures on the 'net

and the "beam" guns are more similar to an M61 vulcan cannon than to any kind of energy weapon I could imagine, (not to mention radars...)

Also, an this is funny, Afterburners = reactor + reactor capacitance, which don't make any sense.

hmm... maybe we need to discuss about the afterburner thing, because I can't figure out how to put an AB after something which is not a Jet engine...
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Nicko wrote:
@Silverain
Quote:

and the "beam" guns are more similar to an M61 vulcan cannon than to any kind of energy weapon I could imagine, (not to mention radars...)

Also, an this is funny, Afterburners = reactor + reactor capacitance, which don't make any sense.

hmm... maybe we need to discuss about the afterburner thing, because I can't figure out how to put an AB after something which is not a Jet engine...
<feeling of being looked at, dead centre in a set of crosshairs as the big spotlight shines on me>

Don't recall the source, but basically yes, weapon pics I cobbled together long ago from gun pics, and the AB/reactor/capacitance thing was a space capsul if I recall :oops: The whole upgrades section came about as an aside when I was gathering cargo pics (lots of trawling freepic places).

Hence, loving the artwork from Ergo, Dirty Magic, I think even a couple from PeteyG if memory serves (and a few others too), but more is welcome. Hence my comment that even if Ergo's pic above doesn't serve as originally envisioned, it WILL get used elsewhere.

As a side note, I think we do have models and textures of weapons in the directories somewhere, which are generated on the weapon hardpoints of ships. If this is true, then we should take a snapshot of the weapon model in a modelling program and use that instead - never could figure out the modelling programs with limited time available though...

P.S. Check the canon in the wiki, but pretty sure we have dropped the whole 'Afterburner' idea (with its relationship to jet engines, propellant etc). It is now 'Overdrive' with a different theoretical operation (still gives same effect though :) ).
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

and the new Shaddy Mechanic upgrades for other tweaks 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

An ION-ish engine "afterburner" would be pushing the engine above it's optimum-efficiency range. It consumes a lot more power and, for comparatively less push gain. Think VASIMR^2.

You'd potentially need to make some modifications to the engine for that - some engines are designed with the optimum range in mind, and pushing it outside that range might break it - the AB modification could, therefore, permit the operation within acceptable safety parameters.

Or... better said... <bleh> sci-fi.
;)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
ergo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ergo »

512x512

128x128

so maybe these new reactor models would be more suitable for use ??
ergo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ergo »

512x512

128x128

a bigger reactor :-)
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

:)
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Nice!
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

sweet :-)
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

"Check out my brand-new chromed fusion-reactor yo!" X)
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

I hate to use silly memes, but... VTEC just kicked in, Yo!!
Very nice, they look complicated and powerful.
ergo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ergo »

im very happy you like it....

so have another one...

512x512

128x128
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

I'm trying to understand the picture. Did you just stick the single engines in a twisted metal bar askew to each other? I really like the chromed look, by the way.
pheldens
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pheldens »

This reactor looks fine to me, people should look more to whether something is an improvement over the old stuff or not, and put it in svn when so.

Fusion reactors of this size and yield do not yet exist, so there's nothing to compare this to.