Ship Concepts

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Ship Concepts

Post by Oblivion »

First batch.
These look alright with you?

Been experimenting with GIMP and lo! I can draw better there!

;)

Expect more.. probably...

Pardon the wavering lines, it's all mouse drawn.. not much room for precision there. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Looking sleek! Nice distinguishing of styles!
Just make sure that your more detailed concepts include turning thrusters and not just a single huge rearward directed engine so that they can maneuvre around instead of going straight only.
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

Sweet stuff ! The Unadorned already have 3 medium interceptors however (with the determinant being rather tiny) so it would be nice to have other sizes... Random ideas :

-Pacifier capship Integration : think Stargate human capships , they already have the fitting integrals shape :P just make it smooth and bare , with only guns poking out.

-Planet bomber capship Randomizer : use the layout of Goa'uld motherships this time :P with branching arms , all in grey unadorned textures. It should look impersonal and creepy just like the 0.4.3 rlaan stations...

-Multipurpose heavy fighter Fractal : use a fractal cristalline shape (easier said than done , I know) that would support 1 heavy mount , 2 medium mounts and 4 light mounts , 1 torpedo , 2 medium missiles and 4 special missiles. Of course , that brand new ship design would be the pride of the Unadorned military.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Finally! Drawn concepts of ships! 10/10 to ya, Oblivion!

I'm sure I'll make use of them soon!
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

As for the Unadorned, try to tune in to the already available concept arts for the Convolution and the Determinant when going into more detail, especially the typical cockpit shape and the maneuvring thrusters.
Gallery with Convolution and Determinant concept art
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Oblivion, sometimes I wonder if you don't know how good you are. I have no idea how long it might have taken you to "draw" these concepts by mouse, but you can believe me it's a long time I've seen such nice style for concept art. Really impressive for an "experiement".
Dunno what you're normally aim for when making concepts, but THESE are real concepts for me...

10/10 for the concepts and 10/10 for the style! Thumbs up, dude!
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Zeog:
Just make sure that your more detailed concepts include turning thrusters and not just a single huge rearward directed engine so that they can maneuvre around instead of going straight only.
Smaller ships need not have thrusters all over the place. My idea for direction is a flower shaped arrangement for the thusters (Notice the shielding of the ships' behinds.), so turning will be easy, but no lateral movements.

Only capships should ahve that capability.

Anyway, attitude control thrusters can be added into the textures as a series of small holes. No need for large thrusters exceot for the really massive ships which should also feature retro thrusters.

just my idea. :wink:

Stakhanov:

would be nice to have other sizes

okay, unadorned capships coming up..

With your proposed ships tho... I have no idea on the ship comparisons you mentioned. :P I'm not that knowledgeable on sci-fi franchises. But bear in mind that faction ships should look the same. Look at the andolian ship concepts for instance.

Kangaroo
I'm sure I'll make use of them soon!
Hold yer horses. These are concepts and await JackS' critical eye. :wink: I can't model ships that fast, so makes sense to offer my ideas.

Zeog:
already available concept arts
oh. Didn;t know that. :) Thanks. I tried to base my dieas on previous ships. Didn't know they have concepts for teh replacements already. Okay will do.

rockstar

I wonder if you don't know how good you are
Now don't get me conceited... :wink: I can't show you some of my hand drawn stuff but I can say they're pretty good. Can't say the same for my virtual made art tho. :lol:
how long it might have taken you to "draw" these concepts by mouse
You wanna know? I'm lazy... :wink: The numbers mean dates. So The first was made Sept.4 at night at about 30 minutes, since I was getting sleepy. The other was made at Sept. 5 before going to class. That was a real hurried job so quality is not as well as the first concepts.. done in ~15 mins, including the thinking up the ideas parts.. :lol:

JackS

These ships were actually a proposal for shipstyles, not actual concepts for individual ships. Any comments on them?

Anyway... another experiment:

Another try at an Andolian pilot in battle uniform... pardon teh awkward posture he was meant to be part of a larger picture but I was lazy... :P

EDIT:

:wink: Hadn't checked my email then.
Okay JackS . Will update this stuff. As well as try for shipstyles of other factions.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Okay since this is a ship concept thread, let's keep it shippy..

:P

JACKAL
Forsaken Interceptor

MATAMATA
LIHW Light Shuttle

Mechanist Shipstyle?

POLYDECTES

SCION
?? Shaper Interceptor
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

That is sooo beautifull, really!

To answer a little bit of the questionmark of the "Mechanist ship style" look here for two rather detailed ship descriptions of them:
Interceptor Mk. 273
Interceptor Mk. 212
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

This stuff is awesome Oblivion. We need to archive it somewhere! The amount of material you are producing could be put into some kind of manual. Are you putting this in the wiki as well as the forums?
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

Terrific stuff. Those concepts HAVE to translate into models and eventually working ships. Well , it shouldn't be too hard to begin with the Polydectes/aevok...
TyKeiL
Merchant
Merchant

Post by TyKeiL »

"Yes, but why are they using such primitive weapons" - Commander Breetide

ahh... yeah.. anyway, excellent pictures.. i really like them and they make me want to 3d them up :o)

keep up the good work Oblivion
beans
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@Zeog
Thanks for the link!! :D I've been trying to find where JackS have described some ship concepts with previous modellers, and haven't been having much luck. Been saving as html's almost all the pages of the content dev thread. Just gleaning really. :wink: Thanks. Will translate those words into pictures.

EDIT:
Omigosh, I really didn't know taht most of the ships were already described by JackS in the wiki... Will access this wealth of info then. :P

@Charlieg
Are you putting this in the wiki as well as the forums?
umm. no. :wink: JackS haven't yet confirmed them. Most of them are experiments of how the ships could or should look like.

Forsaken as Junky, clunky, modified utility ships for example

I'm really really uncomfortable with the Scion. Since JackS specifically says that the Shapers don't care much for how their ships look like, so I'll be changing it.

The Matamata is a bit "If someone can model it then great!" kind of thing. I may try it sometime after I finish with factionalizing ships.

The Polydectes looks Aeran enough methinks.. :wink:

Disregard the mechanist concepts, as the info Zeog pointed to will be what I'll be absing mechanist concepts on. Maybe I can wiki the approved concepts but not without MOI approval first. :wink:

@Stakhanov:

I WILL try to model my own concepts in the future of course. the geometry is easy... it's the texturing part that's going to get messy... :wink:

@TyKeiL

Weapon models etc. are not to be taken seriously especially since they will most likely be modelled separately. So don't take those flimsy little things on the wings (hey that rhymed! 8) ) as THE weapons.

The Aeran turret is an attempt to keep them looking aeran, as current Aeran/Rlaan turrets don't look like they belong to the faction at all.

Thanks everyone.

Here is another ship concept for an Aeran civilian shuttle (unarmed). The Prytanis... this shuttle caused the Aeran-Rlaan war, y'know. :P

A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
TyKeiL
Merchant
Merchant

Post by TyKeiL »

Oblivion wrote:@TyKeiL

Weapon models etc. are not to be taken seriously especially since they will most likely be modelled separately. So don't take those flimsy little things on the wings (hey that rhymed! 8) ) as THE weapons.

The Aeran turret is an attempt to keep them looking aeran, as current Aeran/Rlaan turrets don't look like they belong to the faction at all.
"My most humble and abject aplogies" - jafar

im sorry my random quote was out of place, it wasnt meant to be apart of my post.. i guess i will omit them unless they make sense with the rest fo the post so as to not confuse anyone.

your ships are great :D
beans
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

;) Don't. They do make sense a bit... as JackS did comment on the weapons on the concepts being a bit puny.

Anyway, :lol: who's Commander Breetide?

Got to go, finished uplaoding teh rlaan ships. Still ahve a project to do. Deadline thursday... it's for school.. aw maaan... :lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Oblivion
Can your make also Concepts art for my ship?
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

An unarmed Aera shuttle ? :shock: Blasphemy !
TyKeiL
Merchant
Merchant

Post by TyKeiL »

i understand the school thing i have like 5 assignments due this week and enxt week.

Commander Breetide im not really sure on the spelling of the name but he's the commander of the Zentreadi forces who is trying to capture the robotech vessel from the humans(micronians)
beans
TyKeiL
Merchant
Merchant

Post by TyKeiL »

Commander Breetide is a Zentreadi from Robotech
beans
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Oblivion wrote: Omigosh, I really didn't know taht most of the ships were already described by JackS in the wiki... Will access this wealth of info then. :P
well, I think you're being generous calling it a "wealth" of info, or that the ships are "described" - but there is a list, some of them have descriptions, and there are at least a couple of words attached to each vessel other than its name :-p
Oblivion wrote: I'm really really uncomfortable with the Scion. Since JackS specifically says that the Shapers don't care much for how their ships look like, so I'll be changing it.
Hmm, I don't think that's quite exactly what I intended to convey - they don't care for their ships (being cold, inanimate palettes incapable of reproducing themselves or growing without further intervention) in remotely the same league as they care for their living creations, and the social position of the ship designers reflects this value judgement, but I wouldn't say that they flat out don't care much what their ships look like. Their society values art significantly, so much so that they still care, even about things they, in some sense would be pleased to not be too long bothered with. Thus it's more a question of which contracts warrant solicitations of their Diego Riveras, and which are tossed in the laps of the local mural artists (so to speak), and where spacecraft aesthetics rank on that totem pole - compared, for instance, to the Mechanist designs, the Shaper craft are certainly more 'shapely' ;-)

re: rest-o-thread-since-last-I-contacted-you - am busy/tired right now. Will send e-mail or post. @Oblivion - nudge me if I don't do so appropriately soonish.

(naptime)

p.s.

@Stakhanov - yes, that Aeran shuttle really is unarmed. :)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@www2, sure. But maybe I'll change some thing or two of your basic design. :wink: it doesn't look like a starship to me. Maybe as a stratospheric transport but not as a spaceship. But if you'd like, I'll try.. no promises tho! :P

@Stakhanov.
:lol:

@TyKeiL
Yay!!! Just finished the defense this 3pm. well... I got exempted from the prefinals exam. woohoo!. :P Didn't get a wink of sleep last night making the write-up and the presentation tho. lol

...Hey, where'd the quotes go? :wink: Really, I wasn't offended and its nice imo... even if it was really only the scriptwriters' words.. :lol:

@JackS
at least a couple of words attached to each vessel other than its name
well, you know me.. a couple of letters is all I need to create assumptions of this things and that.. :lol:

okay gotcha, they treat ships like we treat clothes.. those who make them are from sweatshops, and those that are ugly are from bankrupt sweatshops.. or something like that. hehe.

Okay, but pardon the second concept looking a bit like a frog tho, ;)

No prob, I'm direly in need of some naptime too. lol :P

salamat everyone :)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Oblivion wrote:@www2, sure. But maybe I'll change some thing or two of your basic design. :wink: it doesn't look like a starship to me. Maybe as a stratospheric transport but not as a spaceship. But if you'd like, I'll try.. no promises tho! :P
this is basic a SST/stratospheric transport after the year 2200's is this plane confert to a space plane
And i call this a space plane and not a spaceship... ;)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Hmmm. :? how'd it fit in VS? Or was it meant for a mod?

in preparation for seamless planetary flight? :P
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

this:
in preparation for seamless planetary flight?
;)
and also for pandel form capship to capship, capship to statio, station to plane, capship to planet or planet to moon...
and can use for any mod and not only for VS the mod... ;)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Okay, will do. It's simple enough in geometry, though don't expect lavish attention to detail, :wink: .

And only one view I think, I have difficulty creating concepts in all the views.. :wink: too mathematical I think.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,