Cedecy model attempt remake..

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Cedecy model attempt remake..

Post by Paslowo »

Hi.

I have decided to dump the old cedecy models because someone was right, the ships were too boxy looking.

So I'm gonna try again this time with the main shape with a different style of it.

They are not supposed to be professionally perfect. I tried chamfering as much as I can and there we go.

It still needs to have some detail but I don't know where.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

well, looks better, honestly. :wink:

one thing I've learned recently though, the shape of the model rarely matters, except fiction-wise of course (with this ship probably being LIHW or forsaken), it's all in the texturing.

one more thing: the forward guns? don't model them. At least place a hardpoint placement there with target vertices. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

I would say yes to removing the foward gun mounts on the ships if there is some existing actual guns models out there but I have a hard time trying to find a reason why gun models should be removed.

Unless if I can remove the actual mounted gun models, and put seperate gun mesh for the chassias just incase if actual gun models come out, I would say sure.

But really I don't know what a target-vertices really mean.

p.s. I also do plan to put my models in various other games that I create is the reason why I decided to leave the foward guns glued to the models for now.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

My mistake. :wink: I got the impression from JackS' instructions once that guns should be modelled separately. It's not the case apparently.

Though guns mounted that way remain permanent, methinks, unchangeable, since it's not technically a hardpoint.
me neither. just a vague impression of placing those square thingies on certain vertices of the mesh.

I've tried to set target vertices once, and it ended up jumbled. Find it in the wiki, there's some info about that there.

So how's this model going? :D
btw, my new model got guns that modelled along with the mesh too, but I don't know if that's good or bad... I'll have to ask our VS pantheon first. :lol:

( :arrow: proceeds to light candles and burn incense...)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

The model may be just about finished(the final looks slightly different then the picture I posted). Especially with the second one. They are over ~500 polies.

Here are the pics for the other ships(hope they are viewable).

Tazel WIP:
http://strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/spac ... elwip1.jpg
http://strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/spac ... elwip2.jpg
http://strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/spac ... elwip3.jpg

Tengel WIP:
http://strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/spac ... elwip1.jpg
http://strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/spac ... elwip2.jpg
http://strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/spac ... elwip3.jpg
Back and rightside needs more detail added to it.

Both models still need a little more details but. I'm still brainstorming on where to add them. But mabie it should be kept like that so it woulden't be so over overwhelming and time consuming when it comes to UV Mapping.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I like the Tazel! 8)
Tengel looks nice too, tho.

Details can be added to the texture too, so you won't need to UV map them and take up valuable map space.

They could do with a bit of chamfering on the edges tho. Just so that it won't appear sharp. with a polycount of ~500, you could afford that surely.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

What is cedecy? Paslowo's own mod or something? Or is it just the ship at the top? Anyway, I like it! :shock:
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

What is cedecy?
short form for Cofederation Defence

Enjoy the Choice :)
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

Cedecy means a name for a ship style set(aka chassias). The idea of a ship chassias came from an old skool online space trading game called NetDiaspora, and Freelancer combined.

A name that just happen to come up in my own random name generator program I made a while ago.

It adds more originality than using the same old common name elsewhere.

It's not a seperate mod(because I have no or very little c++ coding experience), but it can be good for a 3rd party addon for the VS universe.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

O.o I like it! Looks heavy. But what about the old ships, the green and red ones? Are they a part of cedecy too? I like them, I was so inspired of them that I made lots of similar looking ships myself. :D But maybe you are copyrighting the style :P Anyway, If I am to make my own mod some time in the future, then I'd better build the ships now. My hard-drive is full of ships and I'm full of ideas.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

The red ones, the green ones are not the same because they belong to a different ship style set.

The part where people make their set of ships with the same original style(by the shape, hull color, markings, cockpit shape) is actually encouraged so the VS universe could be spiced up a bit.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Dude, nice. :twisted:
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

Wow..

So anyways, I still have to get motivated to actually start skinning these dudes.

I have been very busy with the my new job have and didn't have the time to finish it.

Well the model may look good but the textures for the models won't.
Cordess
Trader
Trader

Post by Cordess »

Oblivion wrote::oops: :oops: :oops:

My mistake. :wink: I got the impression from JackS' instructions once that guns should be modelled separately. It's not the case apparently.

Though guns mounted that way remain permanent, methinks, unchangeable, since it's not technically a hardpoint.
me neither. just a vague impression of placing those square thingies on certain vertices of the mesh.

I've tried to set target vertices once, and it ended up jumbled. Find it in the wiki, there's some info about that there.

So how's this model going? :D
btw, my new model got guns that modelled along with the mesh too, but I don't know if that's good or bad... I'll have to ask our VS pantheon first. :lol:

( :arrow: proceeds to light candles and burn incense...)
I would assume that guns on a ship can be destroyed separatly, that's why
they should be a separat model so that you can exchange a working looking gun model with a destroyed looking one.