Proposed Model for the Highborn Heavy Bomber

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Proposed Model for the Highborn Heavy Bomber

Post by Oblivion »

Busy as I was, still found some time to do a bit of creating. ;)

Why is this model different?

Well, it's actually my first model that was unwrapped by hand. Learned it by observing HED's textures. It will be easier to texture by faction that way. The map will be big tho, at least 1024x1024 - this is a capship after all.

It's a bit larger than the goddard and can dock a single fighter inside it (in my dreams :lol: )

will post more when I finish texturing this.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Interesting :)

An easy way to make the ship look big is to put very small details in some parts and leave the others with the good old hull textures :roll: .

Can't wait to see it finished :shock:
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Huh, a capship? The two finns and the cockpit shape strongly suggest a scale like a fighter. It also looks very much like it is able of flying in atmospheres. It reminds me a little of the F-14 Tomcat. I'm very looking forward to the textures and how you want to achive the capship looks!
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

It looks very cool and does look like a heavy bomber. Are heavy bombers classed as capships though?
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Also perhaps worth noting that the Galahad name is currently attached to a corvette (which under most definitions isn't a real capital ship anyway ;-) ) in the good old ships list.

I think it's the tail fins that look most out of place if you're going for something large - largish "radiator fins" or otherwise specialized projections (weapons housing, missile housing, sensor extender, docking port, turret stub, etc) could actually lend some good sense of scale, but the immediately recognizeable (whether this is the case in size and function or not) similarity to the tail fin placement on objects the audience is familiar with, such as the F-14 mentioned in a previous post, I think detract from sense of scale. While this can be compensated for by texturing, it may be better compensated for by both texturing and altering the placement of vertical/semi-vertical fins, or otherwise making more obvious/specialized the purpose for their existence. As a side note, albeit, one that's probably been mentioned before, for weapons emplacements, one can note that larger vessels are unlikely to have quite the same modularity constraints with the rest of the fleet with respect to weaponry. Unlike the fighters where, for eye-candy reasons, it's nice to be able to attach weapon models for the modular installs so you can see what you're fighting with/against, special purpose weapons made just for/primarily for particular larger craft are probably better served by integrating the larger/special purpose weapons into the model (if that craft has such specialized weaponry - a freighter may well only have some standard small arms and turrets, etc.).
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

with scale, don't be mislead by the curvy main cockpit. It would house not a single oval shaped cockpit but a group of small rectangular windows that bisects it horizontally (think of a smiling dragon, ;)).

further, the two smaller cockpit extrusions on the wings houses bomber cockpits, the guys who control the turrets on the small wing immediately protruding form it and the bix death boxes at the main torpedo racks. The scale of the cockpits in those will be a it closer to the lancelot.

Hey, really it's not THAT big, if you're thinking of something biig, it's a bomber. Quite small really. Not a capship, you're right charlieg, but still heavy hitters nonetheless.

Kangaroo22:
An easy way to make the ship look big is to put very small details in some parts and leave the others with the good old hull textures .
:lol: exactly, but take a look at my new carrier model. I took that one step further... I made the details in textures! :D

Jacks and zeog:

okey, the fins were placed there because it looks like duck with shorn tailfeathers without it. ;)

:shock: it does make it look like the f-14 tho, tho more a fat tabby cat than a tomcat. lol will see if I can tweak it.

JAckS:
special purpose weapons made just for/primarily for particular larger craft are probably better served by integrating the larger/special purpose weapons into the model
:? I don't quite understand.... *Scratches head* hehe I've integrated the missile and torpedo racks into the model... you mean attach the turrets beforehand? :?:

Anyway, this ship will wait a few more dayss (or weeks probably) in the shipyards. I ran into some problems with the trifans in the bottom of the main cockpit. ach! didn't notice it until I tried to render-to-texture. Will finish the factionalization first. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Oblivion wrote: JAckS:
special purpose weapons made just for/primarily for particular larger craft are probably better served by integrating the larger/special purpose weapons into the model
:? I don't quite understand.... *Scratches head* hehe I've integrated the missile and torpedo racks into the model... you mean attach the turrets beforehand? :?:
Oh, no, sorry - should have been more clear - just spinal mounts. Like, if a capship has a ginormous coil-gun, then you're probably best off actually modeling some long tube(s) and saying "voila!" than making a distinct giant coil gun model that only this ship will ever make use of as a weapon.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

that only this ship will ever make use of as a weapon.
okay.
:D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

For the records: design of this concept was actually discontinued.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Why was the design cut? And similarly, why are there now so few bomber craft in the VS universe?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Indeed, it would have been clearer if I had mentioned the reason for discontinuation 8) which was the favoring of Fendorin's Galahad concept.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Can this model not be used for a different ship? It looks cool, very WC-ish.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

WC-ish indeed! At first I thought it WAS a Gettysbourg.
If nobody wants it I'll adopt it for PU. Could form the basis of a pre-war bomber, like the ancient Minotaur. It even has some kilrathi elements, like the bridge on top; could be turned into an old kilrathi Asjaka (3-seater) bomber.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Sure, go ahead. But you'll need to rescue or rebuild the mesh, 'cause it's not in masters.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I can just remodel it.
By the way, Oblivion had an ftp account on deeplayer also, and there's a lot of his files there. Feel free to grab.

They all appear under http://deeplayer.com/Oblivion/
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

THE JACKAL!
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

403 error, I don't have access to the repo
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

You do have access to each file; what you cannot do is browse the folder. Just the way it is by default, with my provider; I think there's a way to change it, but I don't remember how it went.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

LOL, good thing you offered use of your ftp chuck, at least not everything's lost! :D

Feel free to use the stuff wherever it would fit.

The model is quite simple though, and yeah, can be rebuilt from scratch easily enough.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Nice to see ya, old friend.
See? You should have used that account more; then you'd have had everything backed up ;-)
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

1) apparently this craft has very little in common with Vessel:Galahad in VSwiki, save the fact both has two hulls and fins;
2) don't mind (1) because per se it looks cool anyway; ;)
3) even leaving cockpit issue aside, it does not looks like capship at all, and when compared with Goddard in particular;
4) IMO fore appendages looks strange (though maybe it's unfortunate perspective). If it's something aerodynamic, pull/tilt it farther from wing and reduce; if it's radiator/flat bay, put it more or less in plane with wing, slightly thicken (to narrow wedge or teardrop profile) and connect with wing up to the first engine's base. Either way, it will look less piecemeal, much more sturdy and even almost atmosphere-capable.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter