FACTIONALIZING EXISTING SHIPS

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

FACTIONALIZING EXISTING SHIPS

Post by Oblivion »

POLISHING UP THE EXISTING MODELS

I've decided to try my hand at an ambitious project. ;) Well, this has been slated to be done for so long, but with lack of enough people to do it, it has been... well... not done. So, here are plans of what I want to do. I may need help along the way, so...

Overview:

What I intend to do, if anything in the list affects VS for the worse then tell me, or better yet tell me a better way to do it.

1. Relocate all units to properly named folders inside /units. Many of the curent units retain their old names, making it particularly confusing for people not familiar with the ships. Rlaan ships for example are still placed in folders according to their old naming standards, so the Taizong bomber is still in the vidar folder. I intend to move it into the proper folder, specifically, units/taizong/.

2. Take this a step further. Change all the files inside the folder to reflect proper naming. The admonisher for example. I will use the mesher to chnage it back to xmesh, edit the textures to show proper correlation (i.e. all blank textures will be renamed using the new names and standards), before changing them back to bfxm. So the original puma specular map, puma_spec.png will be renamed to admonisherPPL.png and linked accordingly to the xmesh.

3. Add missing maps, most of the ships lack damage, spec, and glow maps. Using existing maps, I will modify them to create the missing maps and add them to the xmesh's textures. Note: I will probably be modifying some of the maps to standardize them, but I will keep back-ups.

4. Add factional versions of the ships. The most important part of this job. I will be adding logos and colors on the ships themselves. Standardize logos and colors once and for all. The original textures will be retained for the blank/neutral versions. Each unit folder will then have different subdirectories for each faction's version of the ship. e.g. /admonisher will have 3 folders inside it. /admonisher/HS-admonisher; admonisher/admonisher, and admonisher/Pirate-admonisher. Each will contain its own textures, hud images, and bfxm files.

5. I need help in modifying the templates. How do I do this? Ideally, still using the admonisher example above, I want each version to have different specs. I don't know what those functions inside the template files are for. As well, as me having inadequate knowledge of the uses of the unit variables inside units.csv.

6. Again help in adding all the ships to units.csv and the unit spawner.

Well, reasons for doing this, i.e. how will it benefit VS?

1. For one, there'll be the illusion of ship diversity. An admonisher will now have 3 different versions.
2. Make it easier to identify a ship's faction immediately.
3. Eye candy of course. Fancy seeing a fleet of Andolians with proper charcoal grey and blue colors?
4. Add the missing files for each ship.

Aside from possible problems/better suggestions with the above plans, I need answers to these questions:

1. Is anyone else working on any of the files inside the units folder? I would like to know if any of my changes could affect their work. I may need to change the entries within units.csv itself when I finish with all of the units. If someone is, can I still work on this without affecting your work? AFAIK, someone is rebalancing the unit properties right?

2. How can I make these ships available for sale at proper places and spawn points?

Well that's it. As I said, I will need help testing them ingame. I plan to proceed slowly. Taking ships one at a time, modifying it, and making it available ingame before moving to another.

Violent reactions? :D

I'm basing the faction colors on the list JackS provided me before:

Code: Select all

Primary color	Secondary color	Hull	Client of
1.Aera				Light Gray	Mustard Yellow	White	
2.Aera_Bzbr	Light Gray	Powder Blue	White	Aera
3.Aera_merchants	Light Gray	Dark Gray	White	
4.Andolians_Klk'k	Electric blue	Neon Green	Slate (blue-gray)Andolians
5.Andolians_purth	Electric blue	Dark Brown	Slate (blue-gray Andolians
6.Andolians	Electric blue	Dark Blue	Slate (blue-gray)	
7.Confed	Hunter Green	Dark Blue	White	
8.Confed_Andolians	Hunter Green	Electric blue	White	
9.Confed_High Born	Hunter Green	Purple	White	
10.Confed_Mechanists	Hunter Green	Dark Gray	White	
11.Confed_Merchants	Hunter Green	Orange	White	
12.Confed_Purists	Hunter Green	Ivory	White	
13.Confed_Shapers	Hunter Green	Burgundy	White	
14.Confed_Unadorned	Hunter Green	Pink	White	
15.Dgn	Burgundy	Brown	Green	Shapers
16.Forsaken	Yellow	White	Dark gray	
17.High Born	Purple	Orange	Dark gray	
18.Hunters	Dark Blue	Hunter Green	Charcoal	
19.ISO	Red	Yellow	Gray	
20.Klk'k	Neon Green	Electric blue	Slate (blue-gray)	Andolians
21.League of independent human worlds	Teal	Charcoal	Dark Brown	
22.Lmpl	Green	Mauve	Dark Gray	Rlaan
23.Luddites	White	Bright Yellow	Steel Blue	
24.Mechanists	Dark Gray	Steel Blue	Dark Green	
25Merchants	Orange	Hunter Green	Dark Gray	
26Militia	Hunter Green	Yellow	Orange	
27.Mishtali	Crimson	Pink	Yellow	Unadorned
28.Neutral				
29.Pirates	Charcoal	Crimson	Dark Gray	
30.Planets				
31.powerups				
32.privateer	Charcoal	White	Light gray	
33.Purists	Ivory	Light Gray	White	
34.Purth	Dark Brown	Electric blue	Dark gray	Andolians
35.Rlaan	Mauve	Crimson	Dark gray	
36.Rlaan_hunters	Mauve	Bright Red	Dark gray	
37.Rlaan_Lmpl	Mauve	Green	Dark gray	Rlaan
38.Rlaan_merchants	Mauve	Charcoal	Dark gray	
39.Rlaan_Nuhln	Mauve	Orange	Dark gray	Rlaan
40.Rlaan_Saahasayaay	Mauve	Brown	Dark gray	Rlaan
41.Saahasayaay	Crimson	Mauve	Dark gray	Rlaan
42.Shapers	Burgundy	Dark Gray	Green	
43.Shapers_dgn	Burgundy	Pink	Green	Shapers
44.Shmrn	Light Gray	Electric blue	Brown	
45.Spaceborn	Light Gray	Dark Gray	Charcoal	
46.Uln	Orange	Yellow	Red	
47.Unadorned	Pink	Dark Gray	Dark Green	
48.Unadorned_Mishtali	Pink	Crimson	Dark Green	Unadorned
49.unknown				
50.upgrades				
I've already finished some of the ships. I will be posting samples here.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

A Simple example of this:

What I am changing:

1)Folder names and adding subdirectories per faction:
example:

/units/admonisher

will become

/units/admonisher/Blank.admonisher/
        /admonisher/HS.admonisher/
        /admonisher/Purist.admonisher/
        /admonisher/Pirate.admonisher/
2)Mesh names and linked files. I wonder if I really have to provide one mesh for each faction version? It's redundant, the only difference between the different bfxm's for each ships is the name of the textures they are linked to.

example:

/admonisher/HS.admonisher/HS.admonisher.bfxm 
will have the diffuse map of

HS.admonisher.png
/admonisher/Pirate.admonisher/Pirate.admonisher.bfxm
will have the diffuse map of
Pirate.admonisher.png

I am using a system of naming. Placing the gray textured ship in <Blank.nameofship> which will ebcome the model for the Blank versions of the ships.
Then for the factioned ships (which ideally should be controlled only by the factions owing them) it's <Faction.nameofship>

3)Providing missing maps. Each mesh should have at least four maps.

<Faction.shipname.png>
<Faction.shipnamePPL.png>
<Faction.shipnameDMG.png>
<Faction.shipnameGLO.png>

A Sample of the four maps I have provided for the Shaper Ancestor:
(Note that, I have also been providing some missing maps for the ships. Like in Nicander's case which has the diffuse and ppl but no glo or dmg maps)
Shaper.ancestor.png
Shaper.ancestorPPL.png
(*A note: See the next post, I have some important guidelines I would liek to establish/be helped on)Shaper.ancestorDMG.png
(*Note:I used GIMP's dodge or burn function, chose sparks cursor, chose shadows, and set opacity to 100 to amke these craters)
Shaper.ancestorGLO.png
(Again, another note on another thread)

4)Converting the meshes back to obj files, then exporting them from wings as 3ds. Using the 3ds files, I will apply different factional textures to create the deifferent hud textures. generating 128x128 images of the ships (<Faction.shipname.hud.png>)and linking the to the <Faction.shipname.hud.spr> file. They are in .png so the alpha channel is preserved. I ahve tested them ingame.

I'm ahving problems with this part. The clydesdale.obj file crashes wings, and is exported WITHOUT the UVW coordinates in 3dsmax and blender. Any idea on doing this in a better way without resorting to ingame shots?

And problems with meshes with MULTIPLE MAPS. An example is the clydesdale again and strangelet's ships and stations, I can't accurately render them, if at all. :wink:

Here are four hud images of the admonisher versions:

5)Finally testing some of them ingame. I still ahve insufficient knowledge on unit properties, If anyone can fill me on this? Or help me create properties for each version? Or help link the files?

The purist version of the admonsiher ingame:

6)Some files, I hesitate to touch at all. What are their functions?
I mean the template files and some of the weirder files (lods?) I found, like the 3 files puma_hi.xmesh~, puma_med.xmesh~ and puma_lo.xmesh~, yet all have been rendered useless (?) by the addition of the tilde. Do they still have functions?
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Some HUMAN Guidelines:

1)ALL human ship thrusters should be BLUE (That means BOTH Glow maps and the diffuse texture). Since I noticed that the animations used for thrusters is Blue, and it is quite disconcerting to see blue flames from a yellow thruster. And guidelins for alien thruster besides:
Aeran:Green
Rlaan:N/A. There're no thrusters :wink:
Uln:Yellow/Red
Those are the only ship designing races, AFAIK.

2)Spec mapping should be pure matte except for windows. I have tested several ships ingame and I am horrified at the results of current spec maps. SOLELY Ancient, Uln, and some ships with alien textures should use teh spec function. If your ship doesn't ahve any of the navy-blue windows then DON'T PROVIDE SPEC MAPS. Only copy and linkt o a 1x1 black image.

3)Please provide only the gray/slate textured version of your ship. Do NOT color your ship beforehand. If you wish to color it yourself, follow the Faction color guidelines by example. Please match up the hues as best as you can.

PROPOSAL: WHy not make all human windows GLOW? With differing colors absed on faction:
i.e.confed will ahve blue windows/cockpits, etc.
it would certainly be pretty to see the windows all lit up and would only entail minor changes in the existing maps. I will provide some exampels of ingame shots next time. And besides... it would amke VS kind of unique. :P

I'll post the logos I used in another thread. This thread is in danger of becoming overloaded. :roll:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Some other ships I've factionalized:

The Gawain:

The Clydesdale:
Merchant and Confed. Note the shininess, hence my proposal to matte most hulls.

All the Admonishers (Damage Maps provided):

Shaper Ancestor

Damage:

Sample new Ariston DMG map:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Very good work.

Perhaps Oblivion could have svn commit rights and given his own branch to commit to so he can do all this and it can be stored somewhere more useful than just forum threads?
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

svn commit rights
Might help, I'm worried of losing some of the files, and I would like someone else to test what I finish, or finish what I start, or help in other ways. :wink: But I don't know how and I need EXPLICIT instructions if ever.

I apologize for the messiness of this thread. Limited time, and a hellish upload scramble. :roll: Once someone can clarify the uses of the otehr files, I will definitely start churning out COMPLETE output, including changes in the units.csv itself and the spawner, probably.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Well, good ideas there and bravo for the engagement!
Please don't forget to log the status in the wiki! http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... :3D_Models

ad 4) I don't think it is necessary to introduce that many folders. They'll just contain a handfull of files anyways. Just name them shipname_factionPURPOSE.ext, e.g., admonisher_homelandPPL.jpg. I don't think that VS fiction allows a pirate admonisher, though. Just check with JackS for that.

ad 5) Please add this to your list: There still exist xml-files throughout the units folder with data that is now in the units.csv file. The XML files are therefore deprecated and should be purged. I did a whole lot of them already but not all. The *.template, *.blank and such files are already gone. :) (But since you are using the SVN snapshots you still have what has already been deleted as "delete" commands cannot be transfered via zip. :wink:)

I think the "landscape" unit can also be deleted.

As for the making ships available in places, this is currently a little restricted by the "economy". Ships are classified in the master_parts_list, for example as Merchant/Heavy. The availability of those categories is then toggled in the place's unit.csv entry.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

4) I don't think it is necessary to introduce that many folders. They'll just contain a handfull of files anyways. Just name them shipname_factionPURPOSE.ext, e.g., admonisher_homelandPPL.jpg. I don't think that VS fiction allows a pirate admonisher, though. Just check with JackS for that.
:P The Pirate was.. weeell.. for personal enjoyment lol. Okay, just one folder. But I already ahve a nomenclature. see 2nd post. I use dots instead of under_slashes. Easier to see, though it causes file extension mix-ups.
The XML files are therefore deprecated and should be purged
Okay thanks a lot. So it's only the meshfiles then and then the units.csv?
That's a relief. :wink: I though I'd be doing more paperwork. lol editting teh csv file is certainly work enough.

BTW. This won't affect your work? It would probably only require relinking the units.csv. And then naming them properly. So anyway, I'll finish them first then start editting their attributes.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Oblivion wrote:I already ahve a nomenclature. see 2nd post. I use dots instead of under_slashes. Easier to see, though it causes file extension mix-ups.
Dots are fine with me too, just keep is consistent. :)
Oblivion wrote:Okay thanks a lot. So it's only the meshfiles then and then the units.csv?
Yep, only the bxfm files and the textures are in the units folders.
Oblivion wrote:This won't affect your work? It would probably only require relinking the units.csv. And then naming them properly.
No, not currently. Just editing large parts of the csv-files and updating them from SVN is a bit tedious as conflics often appear. Just keep in mind that the key in the unit.csv is aslo used as the name. Parts separated with dots and double underscores (denoting factions) are stipped off and first letters are capitalized by the engine, AFAIK.
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

Oblivion: Reguarding a naming convention for the files. Since units.csv already uses the double underscore, as Zeog mentioned, for faction specific versions, I recommend the same for the various image files. Let's have consistency be rule of the day.
Just keep in mind that the key in the unit.csv is aslo used as the name. Parts separated with dots and double underscores (denoting factions) are stipped off and first letters are capitalized by the engine, AFAIK.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: FACTIONALIZING EXISTING SHIPS

Post by jackS »

WOOT!

And now, details:
Oblivion wrote: 1. Relocate all units to properly named folders inside /units. Many of the curent units retain their old names, making it particularly confusing for people not familiar with the ships. Rlaan ships for example are still placed in folders according to their old naming standards, so the Taizong bomber is still in the vidar folder. I intend to move it into the proper folder, specifically, units/taizong/.
That should work out well. It'll be nice to see the keys actually correspond to the external names again ;-)
Oblivion wrote: 2. Take this a step further. Change all the files inside the folder to reflect proper naming. The admonisher for example. I will use the mesher to chnage it back to xmesh, edit the textures to show proper correlation (i.e. all blank textures will be renamed using the new names and standards), before changing them back to bfxm. So the original puma specular map, puma_spec.png will be renamed to admonisherPPL.png and linked accordingly to the xmesh.
I recall a post by Klauss on how to do this going only to OBJ rather than back to XMESH, as going between XMESH and BFXM can do unfortunate things to normals. (Mostly because the converter (and not without some sound historical reasons) assumes that the normals in an xmesh aren't trustworthy and recomputes them, thereby obliterating smoothing groups, if there were any.)
Oblivion wrote: 3. Add missing maps, most of the ships lack damage, spec, and glow maps. Using existing maps, I will modify them to create the missing maps and add them to the xmesh's textures. Note: I will probably be modifying some of the maps to standardize them, but I will keep back-ups.
Backups are what SVN is good for :) provided that the rename/move of the files is done properly in SVN so that versioning information isn't lost.
Oblivion wrote: 4. Add factional versions of the ships. The most important part of this job. I will be adding logos and colors on the ships themselves. Standardize logos and colors once and for all. The original textures will be retained for the blank/neutral versions. Each unit folder will then have different subdirectories for each faction's version of the ship. e.g. /admonisher will have 3 folders inside it. /admonisher/HS-admonisher; admonisher/admonisher, and admonisher/Pirate-admonisher. Each will contain its own textures, hud images, and bfxm files.
I humbly request that this directory structure not be used. The engine already searches for textures on a per-faction basis. If you are using the same model, only with different textures, then naming textures by inserting the faction name followed by an underscore before the name referenced in the BFXM will cause that texture to be loaded for all ships of that faction, using only the one mesh. The Admonisher directory is an example of this effect in action. The homeland security files are nowhere in the data set referenced by name. The unit loader constructs faction-specific filenames, and always attempts to use those first (hence the many "file not found" warnings that the VS filesystem spits out for ships without the relevant factional variant. If it can't find a factional variant, it attempts to load the file directly referenced.

The Admonisher is split into two units.csv references so that we can differently arm and stat factional variants, not so that it will load different textures - it would load the right texture even if there was only one units.csv line.
Oblivion wrote: 5. I need help in modifying the templates. How do I do this? Ideally, still using the admonisher example above, I want each version to have different specs. I don't know what those functions inside the template files are for. As well, as me having inadequate knowledge of the uses of the unit variables inside units.csv.
The unit/shipname directories should contain only spr files, hud images, meshes and textures (and, unless we make a central version in the units dir iteslf, perhaps an acknowledgment to the artist, to be nice, and to keep track of such things).

.templates are depricated. If the file exists, it can be removed. If the units.csv entry still exists for a .template, it can be safely ignored.

units.csv is... a lot if information :) But you know how to contact me for any particular queries :).
Oblivion wrote: 6. Again help in adding all the ships to units.csv and the unit spawner.
<snip>
1. Is anyone else working on any of the files inside the units folder? I would like to know if any of my changes could affect their work. I may need to change the entries within units.csv itself when I finish with all of the units. If someone is, can I still work on this without affecting your work? AFAIK, someone is rebalancing the unit properties right?
Dandan and I are hacking on the units.csv stats, and it updates with some frequency of late. The changes proposed would conflict in the SVN sense, but not in the logical sense. They should be easy to hand merge (the name changes ).
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

geoscope wrote:Oblivion: Reguarding a naming convention for the files. Since units.csv already uses the double underscore, as Zeog mentioned, for faction specific versions, I recommend the same for the various image files. Let's have consistency be rule of the day.
Just keep in mind that the key in the unit.csv is aslo used as the name. Parts separated with dots and double underscores (denoting factions) are stipped off and first letters are capitalized by the engine, AFAIK.
I'd rather avoid recoding the vsfilesystem search order at this particular junction, so, despite the slightly different conventions, I'd reccommend sticking to the conventions that the engine currently understands for the moment, and noting the inconsistencies in a wiki page as an issue for future redress.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Following information is somewhat redundant, but I figure it can't hurt to be thorough sometimes.
Oblivion wrote: 2)Mesh names and linked files. I wonder if I really have to provide one mesh for each faction version? It's redundant, the only difference between the different bfxm's for each ships is the name of the textures they are linked to.

<snip>

5)Finally testing some of them ingame. I still ahve insufficient knowledge on unit properties, If anyone can fill me on this? Or help me create properties for each version? Or help link the files?

<snip>

6)Some files, I hesitate to touch at all. What are their functions?
I mean the template files and some of the weirder files (lods?) I found, like the 3 files puma_hi.xmesh~, puma_med.xmesh~ and puma_lo.xmesh~, yet all have been rendered useless (?) by the addition of the tilde. Do they still have functions?
2) as mentioned above, you do NOT need more than one meshfile. The engine attempts to find faction specific filenames based on the filenames provided in the SINGLE mesh, and will succeed, provided that you use the naming scheme understood by the engine.

5) I will gladly help you in any way necessary to get up to speed on that.

6) Those are temporary files that should never have actually been in the repository in the first place.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

WRT affecting work -

The renaming of all of the keys that are referenced in a host of other files will be the primary annoyance. Renaming the keys in the units.csv table, and inserting new lines into the units.csv table is relatively easy to manage (especially the latter), all things considered.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Wow, Oblivion, beautiful work! Your endless imagination has proved itself again :)

I just wanted to note something:
Oblivion wrote:The Clydesdale:
Merchant and Confed. Note the shininess, hence my proposal to matte most hulls.
That model looks like it's mesh is somehow duplicated. I don't think that the reflection maps cause this.
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

pulled 10521 yesterday lots of jacks framework is in game along with a new spawn system 8) the amount of traffic is awesome :D Cephid 17 has been rescaled along with tweaks to SPEC. the AI seems to be ok to handle all the new traffic drops the frame rate of my rig by half but still very playable some HUD images still not showing.so still lots to fill in :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

JackS
I'd rather avoid recoding the vsfilesystem search order at this particular junction, so, despite the slightly different conventions, I'd reccommend sticking to the conventions that the engine currently understands for the moment, and noting the inconsistencies in a wiki page as an issue for future redress
geoscope:
Oblivion: Reguarding a naming convention for the files. Since units.csv already uses the double underscore, as Zeog mentioned, for faction specific versions, I recommend the same for the various image files. Let's have consistency be rule of the day.
Zeog:
No, not currently. Just editing large parts of the csv-files and updating them from SVN is a bit tedious as conflics often appear. Just keep in mind that the key in the unit.csv is aslo used as the name. Parts separated with dots and double underscores (denoting factions) are stipped off and first letters are capitalized by the engine, AFAIK.
Umm.. what convention?
:wink:

Could somebody provide me with a list of the Faction names that the engine searches for (i.e. it wouldn't do for me to append Confed before the Confed textures if the engine searches for Confederation)

And an example of the conventions please.

I take it that dots are out. So it would be:

admonisher.png
admonisherPPL.png
admonisherDMG.png
admonisherGLO.png
and factional textures would be:

HS_admonisher.png
HS_admonisherPPL.png
HS_admonisherDMG.png
HS_admonisherGLO.png
:?:

How should I name hud images?

HS_admonisher_hud.png
and
HS_admonsiher_hud.spr
:?:

JackS
I recall a post by Klauss on how to do this going only to OBJ rather than back to XMESH, as going between XMESH and BFXM can do unfortunate things to normals.
Kangaroo22
That model looks like it's mesh is somehow duplicated. I don't think that the reflection maps cause this.
I guess the mesher did that. :( So how do I edit obj files? I guess that's easier, I'll take a look at samples when I get back home. thanks :D

JackS
The renaming of all of the keys that are referenced in a host of other files will be the primary annoyance. Renaming the keys in the units.csv table, and inserting new lines into the units.csv table is relatively easy to manage (especially the latter), all things considered.
I wondered about that. Is the units.csv the only file that uses the names? Or will there be other files affected by changes in nomenclature? Please enumerate them. :wink:

JackS
as mentioned above, you do NOT need more than one meshfile. The engine attempts to find faction specific filenames based on the filenames provided in the SINGLE mesh, and will succeed, provided that you use the naming scheme understood by the engine.
How exactly does this work? Having only one meshfile is a relief. :roll:
I've had bad problems with trying to stop myself from making mistakes while converting the bfxm files.

loki:
pulled 10521 yesterday lots of jacks framework is in game along with a new spawn system the amount of traffic is awesome Cephid 17 has been rescaled along with tweaks to SPEC. the AI seems to be ok to handle all the new traffic drops the frame rate of my rig by half but still very playable some HUD images still not showing.so still lots to fill in

uh. You got me salivating. :wink: Well, hud images are my favorite part. Expect more hud images in the future. As well as the illusion of even more traffic. As soon as ships of different factions start looking different from each other. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

STATUS REPORT:

Finished Ships:
1) Admonisher
bfxm files available for units.csv linking:
admonisher.bfxm
HS.admonisher.bfxm
Pirate.admonisher.bfxm
Purist.admonisher.bfxm
hud files available:
admonisher.hud.spr
HS.admonisher.hud.spr
Pirate.admonisher.hud.spr
Purist.admonisher.hud.spr
shield mesh available:
admonisher_shield.bfxm

2) Ancestor
bfxm files available for units.csv linking:
ancestor.bfxm
Shaper.ancestor.bfxm
hud files available:
ancestor.hud.spr
Shaper.hud.spr
shield mesh available:
ancestor_shield.bfxm

3) Areus
bfxm file available for units.csv linking:
areus.bfxm
hud files available:
areus.hud.spr
shield mesh available:
NONE

4) Ariston
ariston.bfxm
hud files available:
ariston.hud.spr
shield mesh available:
NONE

5) Clydesdale - missing hud images due to problems exporting clydesdale mesh with texture coordinates intact.
FIXME:If anybody would be so kind as to provide me with a .3ds of the clydesdale mesh with the correct UVW Coordinates. ;)
clydesdale.bfxm
Confed.clydesdale.bfxm
Merchant.clydesdale.bfxm
hud files available: (Note all show the same image atm, pending change)
clydesdale.hud.spr
Confed.clydesdale.hud.spr
Merchant.clydesdale.hud.spr
shield mesh available:
clydesdale_shields.bfxm

6) Dostoevsky
dostoevsky.bfxm
Andolian.dostoevsky.bfxm
Klk'k.dostoevsky.bfxm
hud files available:
dostoevsky.hud.spr
Andolian.dostoevsky.hud.spr
Klk'k.dostoevsky.hud.spr
shield mesh available: NONE

7) Eject Pod - modified texture a bit, changed the name too. ;)
ejectpod.bfxm
hud files available: (Note, there are 2 hud images, choose whichever looks better)
ejectpod.hud.spr

8) Nicander
nicander.bfxm
hud files available:
nicander.hud.spr

9) Sartre
sartre.bfxm
Andolian.sartre.bfxm
Klk'k.sartre.bfxm
hud files available:
sartre.hud.spr
Andolian.sartre.hud.spr
Klk'k.sartre.hud.spr

10) Schroedinger
schroedinger.bfxm
Andolian.schroedinger.bfxm
Confed.schroedinger.bfxm
Klk'k.schroedinger.bfxm
hud files available:
schroedinger.hud.spr
Andolian.schroedinger.hud.spr
Confed.schroedinger.hud.spr
Klk'k.sartre.schroedinger.hud.spr

-Gawain, ongoing..

-Note: with new posts by JackS and everybody I'll probably be going over these again to stick to the standards but the textures are all there as well as hud images. I'll note the missing files that I cannot provide next time (notably the shield meshes), as well as the files I can't import into wings, 3dsmax or blender, resulting in no hud images.

All the ships I've already editted (Sorry for the lack of antialiasing on the textures, It was kind of hurried, it's not that noticeable anyway, ;) And I want to see all the textures laid down first before polishing up minor details.

A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

Looking very good, at least from the preview. Can't wait to see them in game. How do you manage to work so fast?
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Heh. My curse and my gift. I don't work SLOWLY.
Anyway, some sleepless nights too.. I'm a night person. See the time on the screenshot at the top? It's 1AM. :lol:

I try to get my ideas out immediately or they'll start putrefying and I lose interest in it.

You can test them later, I'll be posting the files here, at least the finished ones(actually still needing a few changes, with the info JackS has provided). But the textures are all there. Still quite slapdash tho.

Please report any mistakes, etc. like this:

The "CONFED" is on backwards, and what I thought was spec is mesh doubling as what Kangaroo22 pointed out. Well, I'll address those later.

The Shaper Ancestor looks good ingame:
Tho I don't like the color scheme (burgundy and green), makes it look like a christmas tree. :wink:

A larger "SCENE" render of the Highborn gawains, sporting the logos and the colors:

BTW: Any ideas on the naming problem, I need input fast. I'll be working on it again when I get home. Lots of free time. It's fiesta tomorrow! :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Hellloooo!

anybody there. lol

Need to know the correct naming standards so I won;t have to redo most of the work.

I'm guessing it's all in underslashes. Howver do I retain the dash for the spr files?

i mean

admonisher-hud.png? and admonisher-hud.spr

or admonisher_hud.png? and admonisher.hud.spr?
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

jackS wrote:
geoscope wrote:Oblivion: Reguarding a naming convention for the files. Since units.csv already uses the double underscore, as Zeog mentioned, for faction specific versions, I recommend the same for the various image files. Let's have consistency be rule of the day.
I'd rather avoid recoding the vsfilesystem search order at this particular junction, so, despite the slightly different conventions, I'd reccommend sticking to the conventions that the engine currently understands for the moment, and noting the inconsistencies in a wiki page as an issue for future redress.

Well, I'm willing to edit the units.csv file, and master_part_list.csv to get these in... I've already downloaded Oblivion's compressed packages... But I'm looking for some clarification.

JAckS: When you quoted me quoting Zeog, were you agreeing that the names should use underscores, not dots... Do I have to rename these files slightly? I'll assume it would be the same as the existing files, ie underscores. I'll start by copying the stats for the closest matching version if Oblivion's versions are new... someone else can determines whether specific faction variants should differ slightly in there statistics.

Expect these to be commited by about 24 hours from this posting.

EDIT: after some slight renaming to match convention as I understood it by example, I've edited units.csv and master_part_list.csv (didn't add sartre to master_part_list.csv, but did add everything else). Now commited. I have NOT removed the old files.
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

Oblivion wrote:Hellloooo!
admonisher-hud.png? and admonisher-hud.spr

or admonisher_hud.png? and admonisher.hud.spr?
from what I see in the svn directories and how I renamed them,

admonisher-hud.png, admonisher-hud.spr.

Oblivion, also: how about the following when you have time?

areus_shield.bfxm, dostoevsky_shield.bfxm, ejectpod_shield.bfxm, gawain_shield.bfxm, nicander_shield.bfxm, sartre_shield.bfxm, schroedinger_shield.bfxm.... those ships never had them, still don't.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

@geoscope - why did you delete and recommit the clydesdale shield file? There should have been no changes required to that, unless you were simply renaming it to change the plurality expressed in the name ?

Also, the factions that the game understands are those declared in factions.xml - currently, factions.xml contains the following factions, along with a couple other special purpose factions, like "upgrades".

"privateer"
"confed"
"aera"
"rlaan"
"merchant_guild"
"luddites"
"pirates"
"hunter"
"homeland-security"
"ISO"
"andolian"
"highborn"