new ship

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

i love them...
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

seems marvellous, but I got an access forbidden while trying to download wormhole.zip.
Is it normal?
I'm trying to make a decent organic texture for my test wormhole, but not really unhappy tryes ~>_<~
I see dead polygons....
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

What would really be cool is animated textures/xmesh's and having the wormhole partially transparant at the edges.
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

What would be really cool is having animated xmeshes for lots of stuff like opening/closing docking bays, retractable weapons (like main cannons :D), docking clamps, etc
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I try to use differential alpha channel (word to translation of the french :oops: ) but I'm looking for something a bit particular: you know that gimp can animate images with script fu, there are many samples built in, but I'm looking for one which allow to anime a rotating spiral ( to avoid huge calculs with softs like blender and awake with a dr watson on screen :oops: :oops: )
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

how does it look like if i make a "controled" worm hole (like in starlancer) (got some problems to draw a nice organic texture, I think I'm definitely unable to make some nice natural textures ~>_<~ )
I see dead polygons....
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

Man that wormhole looks pretty sweet, if you can get the edges transparent and maybe rotate it. Also, imho the reflection looks good - adds some nice highlights and makes it look like it's warping existing space.

Also, i had an idea. atm when you jump you just magically appear in the new area. how about a transition environment? using the above pictures as an example, when they jump, place the player in a world that's just a turning/swirling long red cylinder (put a nice pretty white flash or something at either end). we could adjust the physics in that area so they're not actually moving forward (so we only have to make a short section) and disable the throttle control.

We could then introduce jumpdrive speeds. The faster the jump drive, the shorter the amount of time in the warp tunnel.

That also opens up new possibilities. I've never played it, but i've heard that in Freespace 1 there's a missiion where you follow an enemy capship into subspace and fly around it/shoot it down (apparently the physics in that section were really really bizarre, so i'd really like to try it one day). how cool would it be if you followed another ship into a wormhole and flew around it/followed it/continued to attack it (we could make this difficult to do, such as needing precise timing/distance or needing to power up the second ship's jump drive at exactly the right time). While in the warp tunnel, the ship with the faster jump drive could gain on/overtake/out run the slower ship.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Permission denied! I can't access the actual mesh
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

@anax Yes you're right about the in-warp thingy. It's really fun. I'ld love to have it in vega strike. the only problem in freespace1 is that when u destroy the nme ship, it destroys the jump node to the sol system :( Might be interesting to be able to collapse (maybe temporarily) wormholes/jump gates.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

sorry about the permissions....I screwed them up just a tad :oops:

all better now :)

yes, as I said, I had not gotten around to doing an alpha-map for it.....I'm working on that now (as opposed to my CS assignment ;-) )....and it could also do with about double the number of polys.....that will come later

Just wondering, would 512 or 1024 be the best texture size? I'm leaning towards 512 at the moment (as the wormhole is not really big enough (and the texture needing to be sharp enough) )to warrant 1024 ..... :-/

what I am wanting to do though is add some of that nice ppl that the Galaxy has got (just a small amount to make the surface look non-solid)....what do you think?

Dan.a
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

FlyingAce wrote:@anax Yes you're right about the in-warp thingy. It's really fun. I'ld love to have it in vega strike. the only problem in freespace1 is that when u destroy the nme ship, it destroys the jump node to the sol system :( Might be interesting to be able to collapse (maybe temporarily) wormholes/jump gates.
the ship was a BIG ship though (i believe it was the biggest ship at the time - they did it because it was the only time its shields would drop), but yeah it'd be an interesting defense being able to temporarily shut down a jump node by sacrificing your biggest ship, and allowing you time to evacuate, perhaps through a back door
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

I was thinking more along the lines of interdictor technology to close jump gates/wormholes. Maybe blowing up a ship would work too ;) you could probably say that thewormhole will explode or something if u keep the interdictor on too long so it shuts off after a while.