Ach (images)

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Ach (images)

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Been out of this stuff for a while- between life issues and another project which I won't get into, haven't had much time to fiddle around with space lasers and flying wheeligigs and whatnot lately. Between doing some intensely uninteresting photo retouching work this weekend I did have time to wrap up this thing, and, well, what else to do with it.

Didn't have much in mind when making it but a general design concept (more a scribble and the texture concept) and some bits of an old ethnic group I'd drawn up way back in the day when I was doing my own spacey thing, but it seems to me it might do serviceably as a Forsaken SPG or something of the sort.

~17900 faces unquadded, currently uses some rather large textures due to the complex nonrepeating nature of the design (4000x4000 for the cannon assembly diffuse map, several other considerably smaller ones). I'm not terribly interested in going through the horrific ordeal that converting models to game-usable inevitably is for me, but if you're interested here's .max and .obj (unreliable) versions with necessary textures.

http://www.penguinbomb.com/donate/revenant.rar
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Looks very cool. I'm not too keen on the snout (doesn't look like it could be useful for anything and too unsophisticed to be weaponary) but otherwise it looks really industrial. Sadly more likely to adorn game artwork than gameplay if you're not prepared to make it more GL-palettable.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

tis real nice :-)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Now that's a B.F.G.! (Big Flying Gun in this case I suppose)
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

That looks like a space tank.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

8) UBER-COOL!!

But it's not Forsaken. More Pirate.*

The handprints graffiti thing rocks!! But I wish you made the torii and capsules more rounded. I know you're probably skimping on polygons, but it spoils the effect, at least for the smaller parts.

So could it be a sniper ship? It also fits, as pirates would much prefer more bounty at less battle.

*For me, the Forsaken are xenophobic but peaceful people. Preferring to keep out of the universe's affairs as much as possible. This ship looks like it was made for reavers. So make it Pirate! :)
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Oblivion: In this case, the relatively simple geometry was more a practical consideration- I was using a lot of booleans to keep the more complex shapes looking smooth, and MAX's boolean operations, well... you want as little exteraneous geometry as possible, 'cos you're probably gonna have to redo half of it by hand. Altering the geometry significantly at this point would prove problematic (and redoing the UV maps from scratch would be no fun at all), and I'd much rather put that effort into other, new things, but it's something I'll keep in mind for next time.

And yeah, well, like I said, wasn't designed specifically with whatever version of the VS universe is official this week in mind. My take on generation-ship denizens had them feeling a bit justifiably snippy about the whole 'twenty generations in a cramped, filthy, run-down spaceship only to find out that having lived their whole lives in zero g they can never leave' thing. Guess it could be anybody's spaceship, really, I just figured it looked suitably antiquated and huge.

CharlieG: Uh, what?
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Yep. I'm a 3dsMax modeller too. I think it can be done though. Using Boolean subtraction operations (erither A-B or B-A) with the a smoother hole in a larger poly (earlier made by another boolean subtraction) and then setting the pop-up to "Do not change material settings" or something. I forgot, but I think it could be done. I can;t expalin it in words tho, sorry. :wink:
whatever version of the VS universe is official this week in mind
lol. As if it changes that much. :wink:

And I don't think the forsaken are from generation ships. Probably sleeper ships. But JackS is the authority. Besides, the Forsaken are well settled on planets of the Diaspora sector, though their planets are understandable more unpalatable than that of the Confed and LIHW.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...