Proposed Models for Three Uln Stations

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: Proposed Models for Three Stations

Post by chuck_starchaser »

pyramid wrote:Ui. Something seems very wrong with the market station (will become Uln Commerce Center). No matter what I do when exporting to obj, after converting to bfxm the station appears inside out in VS.
Are you exporting with normals or without.
If without, try with.
If with normals it doesn't work check the normals in blender:
1) Make sure that the Double Sided button is off (ALWAYS (...why do they put that on by default?)). And click on the show normals button (far right panel in F9).
2) If the normals look okay, then something is REALLY wrong... Try Ctrl-A in Object Mode; maybe someone scaled in X by -1 in object mode. (It's a good idea to hit ctrl-A in object mode before doing exports. Anisotropic scalings and rotations in object mode can ruin the VERTEX normals, even while the FACE normals look ok. I once had that problem and it took me days of back and forth to figure it out; the vertex normals looked like wet hair close to the surface even while the face normals looked healthy, and it was a damned scaling I did in object mode that I forgot to Apply...).
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Proposed Models for Three Stations

Post by pyramid »

Thanks, chuck. I do always export with normals by default- Also double sided is switched off. Did the Ctrl+A trick. Now, in EditMode the face and vertex normals all looked pointing to the inside. Probably something went wrong during 3dsmax to obj conversion and we started from there. I did "Recalculate Normals Outside" (Ctrl+N) and, voilà, it works.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: Proposed Models for Three Uln Stations

Glad that worked. So, that means someone scaled by -1 in one axis in object mode, and didn't ctrl-A (apply) the scaling to the mesh.
BTW, when ALL normals are reversed in a mesh, sometimes ctrl-N won't fix them. It's easier, in that case, to first invert all normals,
--highlight all, then W->Flip Normals--, THEN do a Ctrl-N for good measure.
I've never worked with 3DS Max but it could well be that it also has an Object Mode super-layer like Blender does. Best policy, generally, is to do Ctrl-A on each mesh object before starting the exports process.
HymenZorg
Trader
Trader

Post by HymenZorg »

Wow, those bases look AWESOME. Really beautiful, really unique. Great work!
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Finally, all three stations are in-game. Thanks to all contributors:
* Oblivion for making the stations and textures
* Fendorin for cleaning the mesh
* chuck_starchaser for tutoring me through blender mesh preparation for integration

Once that I am in the mood of spreading positive vibes, I'd take the opportunity to thank those that made this game and this community possible:
* hellcatv for having the idea and making it open
* ace123 for maintaining the community tools
* jackS for creating this complex universe
* all past and present developers, artists, contributors, and modders for bringing in their invaluable work and feedback.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

pyramid wrote:Finally, all three stations are in-game. Thanks to all contributors:
* Oblivion for making the stations and textures
* Fendorin for cleaning the mesh
* chuck_starchaser for tutoring me through blender mesh preparation for integration

Once that I am in the mood of spreading positive vibes, I'd take the opportunity to thank those that made this game and this community possible:
* hellcatv for having the idea and making it open
* ace123 for maintaining the community tools
* jackS for creating this complex universe
* all past and present developers, artists, contributors, and modders for bringing in their invaluable work and feedback.
Just doubling up thanks; --make that tripling up thanks-- for the engine, without which mods like PU and VT wouldn't be possible. ;-)