Proposed Model For a Slipper (Dead Model. ;))

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Proposed Model For a Slipper (Dead Model. ;))

Post by Oblivion »

Not yet finished. :wink:

But the general shape should be obvious. This ship has been christened temporarily as the Sahadeva class Battlecruiser AKA "The Lost Slipper" :lol:

Only the Bridge and the Docking Bays are finished now. Mesher finally worked for me. Gad!!! It was just spelling. I kept typing bxfm instead of bfxm. :roll:

Thanks much to Kangaroo22 for helping out. Now that I know my mesher is NOT the problem, I'll focus on making learning how to make my models VS compatible. :D Muchas gracias. I'll try to rely on myself now. :wink:

So here it is:

Will add the turrets, the thrusters (including attitude control thrusters), and more greebles and stuff. :)
Last edited by Oblivion on Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

looking good nice color scheme 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

:) :) :) I think you learned Mesher yourself.

How do you think - could large, asymetric greebles make the model more interesting?

When you've finished it, can you please send the model to me? I would love to play with the textures.
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Heh, cool. Nice job getting that in-game...
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@Loki
it's an experiment as to what would look good. :wink: I think current VS ships are too grey. No sense of variety at all. Anyway, the color scheme on this is wrong. Andolians are supposed to have slate-grey ships with blue faction colors. :)

@Kangaroo
:shock: It's not ingame yet. ;) That shot was just interposed over a screenshot I once took, sorry for misleading but I was just playing with renders. It's really not ingame yet. And I have yet to start experimenting with mesher. As the ship I recently finished is too complex for me to begin to aspire getting it ingame myself. I'll try to model something smaller and then get it ingame next time.

And I never got to finish this. Lost interest. I'm like that, sorry. :wink: But if ever I need something for another model, I can always use this mesh, all textured and ready.

The new battlecruiser I finished is ready though. I'm posting the mesh, textures and all, but still I haven't yet tested it ingame, because I don't know how to make the turret submeshes yet. If you'd like, you can retexture it (as it's still quite undetailed once you zoom close enough and there seems to be UVW unwrap problems on the cylinders. :( )

And yup, greebles, greebles, greebles. More greebles, even if just on the texture-side, and less on actual geometry. definitely more greebles.

@Halleck. It's NOT ingame. :D Apologies for the misleading shot. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

@Kangaroo
Shocked It's not ingame yet. Wink That shot was just interposed over a screenshot I once took, sorry for misleading but I was just playing with renders. It's really not ingame yet. And I have yet to start experimenting with mesher. As the ship I recently finished is too complex for me to begin to aspire getting it ingame myself. I'll try to model something smaller and then get it ingame next time.
ouch :( ! I was sure you had succeed.

too bad I haven't replied to your pm, but I really had few time.
anyway, and it's a public aswer to the common how to get mesher working answer, I found what follows:

(with low vibrant voice)
first you have to reach the Giant's Peek, then you must fight the "Beholder of Secrets" to achieve the Bone Key to enter the "Realm of the Mads", then...
(ehem let's get serious)

1. c4d exportersss messesss all the meshesss (yesss :lol: );
2. 3ds uses a .obj dialect which is barely readable by wavefront itself :shock: ;
3. SO DO NOT USE THESE SOFTWARE TO EXPORT DIRECTLY DO .OBJ
4. instead, export you models modeled with your favourite modeler in the most compatible format possible (also wavefront or 3ds) with the importers of BLENDER.
5. then you have to IMPORT YOUR MODEL IN BLENDER, FIX IT IN ANY WAY IT'S NOT HOW IT WAS BEFORE, taking in account the materials and the textures, AND THEN EXPORT IT FROM BLENDER IN .OBJ.

this way (long and boring) you can make use of mesher.exe (the version that shipped with 0.4.3 works well), which is perfectly compatible with blender's exported objects, and have your models ingame.

another way is to use Blender 8) .
seriously, I have installed and have worked for various projects with both the 3dsmax and the c4d. these are beutyfull pieces of software, very powerfull and plenty of geeks of course. But, IMHO, their interfaces (or GUI's call it how you want) are a bit too click here, then click there, activate this, deactivate this, menu9-sub7-sub13, where was that option? well let's look at the online docs, etc... in shotr terms, the GUY's are UGLY (in fact I prefer GIRLS 8) ). nothing to share with the clean interface of blender, and its keyboard shortcuts.
nevertheless, blender is distant from the perspective of modelling tools, but not too distant if you have inventive.
"Eppur si muove ..."
(Galileo Galilei just after abjuring to the Inquisition)
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Yes, taking your models into a halfway sensible exporting program like blender or wings is a must. Sometimes you gotta flip normals (invert the mesh), orient it facing forward along the Z+ axis, etc.

Then, the latest, hippest workflow is to edit your MTL file to make sure it has the diffuse, glow, damage, specular, etc. maps referenced properly. Only reason to go BFXM->xmesh anymore is to change the blend mode, to use alpha, to use animations, or to reference LOD meshes.

I reccomend klauss's latest mesher binary. You can always fall back to 0.4.3, but keep in mind the old mesher does have some problems. Older versions of mesher choke at wierd times (mine choked on a CUBE mesh!), and there's that annoying bug with having to flip your texture vertically. Both of these are fixed in the latest mesher.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I can't download blender. It's too big. I don't have internet at home and God knows connection is slow here. But I'll try with wings. halleck. Please, a step-by-step on how you did it with Arjuna? :wink:

BTW; @GALex. Yup, it's okay. :)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

how can't you download blender? it's less than 6MB.
judging from the pics You upload, it should takes you little time.
once I've downloaded it from a messed phone connection @38Kb/s (1.1 KB/s)
in less than 15 minutes!

give it a try, or else I can send you a cd to your address with all the free software you want me to download (I have a T3 12Mb/s connection)

let me know.
"Eppur si muove ..."
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Oblivion wrote:halleck. Please, a step-by-step on how you did it with Arjuna? :wink:
You must have missed it. I posted it here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 6756#66756
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@GALex
how can't you download blender? it's less than 6MB.
really?!! :wink: I thought it bordered on the 300mb types. hehe. Anyway, I got wings already. I'll try to download blender later. I'll pass on the cd. :D It would be too costly for you. :wink:
thanks anyway.

@Halleck:
Ya. I posted this plea at the same time as the one on the other thread, so don't worry, I've read it alreday. tnx. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

I'll pass on the cd. Very Happy It would be too costly for you. Wink
not too costly, for 16 euro I can deliver to the world in a week 8) (or two :cry: ).

let me know...

always at Your service, sir.

EDIT: it was 6 euro :wink:
"Eppur si muove ..."
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

always at Your service, sir.
:lol: Don't sir me. I'm probably younger than you. haha. Anyway, I haven't DLed blender yet, but I'll get to it, if I get the time, I've been really really busy this week. Haven't even completed the Hawking rework. Classes just started and there's the usual commotion about class cards, conflicting schedules, subject drops, NFEs. etc. :? I'll adjust soon enough.

With cost. ;) 6 euro is a big amount for filipinos, so I'd still feel uncomfortable. hehe. I've recently replaced my ailing monitor and it costs ~100 US dollars. Ouch! :roll: hence the filipino mentality of never replacing anything until it's absolutely, irrepairably unusable. :)

And I don't much trust our own postal system here. My sister once sent some chocolates from belgium and they arrived missing a few boxes. Haha. :roll: Of course, the postmen ate them. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Oblivion wrote:I've recently replaced my ailing monitor and it costs ~100 US dollars. Ouch! :roll: hence the filipino mentality of never replacing anything until it's absolutely, irrepairably unusable. :)
I totally understand you.
I'm still using a ppro200, one which got burned out a couple times (not the CPU though - that's unfixable), and has a few electrical ickinesses in the mobo. Others would have dumped it... but not me. It's really very useful - no need to dump it. I hate dumping useful stuff.
Another example is my monitor - it has a serious problem with the green cannon, but I managed to get it acceptably decent with color correction, so I never replaced it.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Another example is my monitor - it has a serious problem with the green cannon, but I managed to get it acceptably decent with color correction, so I never replaced it.
that was the problem with my last monitor. I mentioned it had gamma problems as well as problems showing red and green accurately. hence, why my earlier models had strange colorations. Replaced it out of necessity, but I will not throw it away, in case, it could still be used. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

:P Luckily, I didn't pay for my PC's monitor... and my father even managed to get another one for free. All because of mass production artifacts (?), which even cannot be seen.

Hmm, 100$... and I thought Latvia has finansial problems... :shock: [/quote]
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

...I'll be paying off that monitor for six months. :(
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by chrisdn »

do what I do and run your system through your TV, I've been doing it for years (only on decent sized TVs) and now life is really nice with my 42" HDTV. Games are awesome and it is so easy to pick out vertices on a 42".

Cuts down on costs and saves space. Bear in mind that I live on my own and if I ever get married I'll probably have to change.
Information is Power...let me find some
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Hehe. I don't know how, and I don't even know if my PC can support a TV. And anyways, HDTV is as far awaaaay as the stars on my probable future acquisitions list, financially. :lol:

We have 3 TV sets at home. But if I commandeer one, other family members would raise hell. So, it's out of the question. :lol: hehe
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by chrisdn »

ho didely dee the bachelors life for me