Structural Basis For AI Docking

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Structural Basis For AI Docking

Post by Oblivion »

Pictures speak louder than mice eating cheese in the middle of the night.
-Confusius-

And a proposed Mobile Resupply and Refuel Capship (named by me as the LIHW Anvil), sorry, not textured yet. But look at the side docking bays. That's what I meant. :D

A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I already have an idea for AI docking - I call it the "docking pattern graph". Basically, a set of "approach leg" nodes connect to a set of "final approach" nodes, which in turn connect to a set of "docking ports", with a separate set of "holding patterns" which, at each waypoint, connect to an approach leg.

AI would follow holding patterns, and when reaching a waypoint checks to see if the connected approach leg is free - that means that the entire leg isn't being traversed, and that the connected final approach is also free - if so, it enters it. If not, it continues the holding pattern.

For a final approach to be free, the docking port has to be free as well as the departure leg (see later) - some docking ports, once they have a ship inside, remain occupied until the ship leaves, and some will "forget" they have a ship eventually (as in ships park internally in a separate place, so after a while the docking port itself is free again).

There are also "departure legs", which connect to docking ports. When a ship leaves, it takes the departure leg.

It would be part of creating models to define those graphs - it seems difficult, but it isn't that difficult. But... it involves some nontrivial work.

Anyway - it's just an idea. Implementation of the data structure is planned, but making AIs follow it is another matter - eventually, it would get done, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon (because... you know... there's not much people working AI).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

Stations should have something like entry/exit bays.

When a ship docks in the entry bay it temporarly disappears.
When launching, the ship is repositioned at the exit bay, and launches the ship out of it.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@klauss: So dock openings are both entry and exit points? I kind of like Paslowo's idea of a separate entry and exit. will make for easier AI, but would become a problem for modellers. :wink:

I'm relieved that there are plans for automated docking. I'm satisfied for now. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...