capacitors final renders

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

ergo
Hunter
Hunter

capacitors final renders

Post by ergo »

capacitor 512x512px

capacitor 128x128px

capacitor2 512x512px

capacitor2 128x128px

capacitor3 512x512px

capacitor3 128x128px

capacitor4 512x512px

capacitor4 128x128px

capacitor5 512x512px

capacitor5 128x128px

yes i know those look boring and simple, but capacitors are simple things after all ;-)
Using : SVN
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Perfectly! Really! :D

Just one question though: There are 15 stages of capacitors in game. If I include them, I would use the capacitor1 picture for stages 1-5, capacitor2 for 6-10 and so on. Or have you had something different in mind when planning for 5 stages?
Last night I dreamed I ate an eight pound marshmallow. This morning my pillow was gone. Where is my pillow?
prestidigitator
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by prestidigitator »

Nothing wrong with simple! They look great!
ergo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ergo »

Zeog wrote:Perfectly! Really! :D

Just one question though: There are 15 stages of capacitors in game. If I include them, I would use the capacitor1 picture for stages 1-5, capacitor2 for 6-10 and so on. Or have you had something different in mind when planning for 5 stages?
i did not plan exactly whap picture should be associated with what item , i just add some pictures to add variety. the equipement will be redone so i tend not to associate items with pictures
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

That's alright. As long as you keep producing these great renderings I won't complain. :D
Pictures are submitted to svn. They should now show in game as various kinds of "Capacitors".
Last night I dreamed I ate an eight pound marshmallow. This morning my pillow was gone. Where is my pillow?
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Nice! But what are those stringlike things? Cables (or some equivalent) that connect the Capacitors? To me they look like some sort of rope that tie them together...perhaps you could make them look more like optical fibres?
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

perhaps you could make them look more like optical fibres?
I think it looks better the way it is. :wink: And besides, ergo mentioned that each of the renders take a really long time (they should, as they look gorgeous :D ), so I don't think it's wise to redo them for that minor detail. Besides, they're in 128x128 ingame, little details are not that noticeable.

My opinion only. of course. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

To Megatherion wrote:Nice! But what are those stringlike things? Cables (or some equivalent) that connect the Capacitors? To me they look like some sort of rope that tie them together...perhaps you could make them look more like optical fibres?
LOL :lol: Fiber optic cables are electrically isolating. They transmit ***information*** as blips of light.

Capacitors store electric charge (A.K.A "juice"; lots of it), NOT information. They need thick good old copper wires. Make that superconductors, if you insist; but NOT fiberoptics...
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Yeah, I know optic fibres won't conduct electricity, but it'd look cool. Superconductors would be the thing, of course... no losses of precious energy.

If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

Optic fibers don't look any different from any other wires, really. From the outside, at least. Except in the case where they have "FIBER CABLE" written on the plastic sheathing.
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
ergo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ergo »

those are normal conducting cables, but not copper why should we think copper is avilable in that part of universe :p beside will we really thiink about what type of cable was used to connect capacitors while playing the game ? ;-)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Nah, exactly :D I just couldn't let the "fiber optic" idea go unchecked ;-), specially when the argument seemed to put an undeserved stain on your great work.

Copper should be available throughout most of the universe, but there are already conductive plastics (yep) that have better conductivity than copper; and who knows what we'll come up with, next...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

To Megatherion wrote:Yeah, I know optic fibres won't conduct electricity, but it'd look cool. Superconductors would be the thing, of course... no losses of precious energy.
Actually, they should be superconductors, but for the simple reason that when you're requiring an output current of a few million amps (as it happens when you want to discharge the capacitor quicly when... say... jumping or firing a heavy weapon), anything not superconductive would melt rightaway (you know... superconductors have ~0 Ohm. resistence, which means no heating from current flow, but normal conductors heat up quite quickly).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I was pondering just that, since yesterday. The thing is, any attempt at attaching a superconductor to a non-superconductor would probably be the achilles heel of such a system. You'd probably have to go superconducting for all electrical conductors used, including the big consumers, and even the electrodes inside the capacitors. But I guess you'd have to, pretty much.
Anyways, this is immaterial in terms of the graphics, as, again, like in the case of fiberoptic cables, superconducting cables might look just like normal cables; --except inside, where most of the cross section might be occupied by coolant circulation capillaries, and thermal insulation to the outside.
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Hey...this game is SF. I guess there will be room temperature super conductors by that time...or even wireless transmission. So no need for coolant I guess.
Btw: It is a space craft. Space is quite cool, so I guess no coolant would be needed anyway.
Er...I guess we should just leave those cables alone...as long as the thing works in game and doesn't cause parts of the ship to melt away when you go through a jump or fire large scale weapons.

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Hey...this game is SF. I guess there will be room temperature super conductors by that time...or even wireless transmission. So no need for coolant I guess.
Btw: It is a space craft. Space is quite cool, so I guess no coolant would be needed anyway.
Er...I guess we should just leave those cables alone...as long as the thing works in game and doesn't cause parts of the ship to melt away when you go through a jump or fire large scale weapons.
Space is "cool" in the sense that it doesn't heat you up; but it doesn' help you get rid of heat either. Vacuum is a perfect thermal insulator; and the only way to get rid of heat is to radiate it away. Wireless transmission of power is renowned for it's inefficiency, in other words, produces large amounts of waste heat. Room temperature semiconductors? Maybe; maybe not. It hasn't been demonstrated they should be possible, nor that they shouldn't. All in all it's better to start from what we know is possible and weight the options when needing to appeal to superpowers to future technology. Like, perhaps there will be tractor beams, but there's no need to appeal to their being possible in order to park ships, when a station controller computer could just take over the ship's controls and use its lateral thrusters, to achieve same result. In this case the point is mute, since ergo put wires there that could be plain wires, cooled superconductors, or ambient temperature superconductors, all the same. So, I agree about one thing only: "we should just leave those cables alone".
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

nanotubes filled surfaces are the actual most efficient cooling system.
only a prototype in research institutes, but are been proved efficient.
more, they are packable w/out sensible efficiency loss.

ok ok ok, nanotubes are not aesthetically pleasing for the observer, just a black, rough surface, but have you ever seen something that is efficient, cheap and beutifull? (apart Italian design, of course :wink: ).
"Eppur si muove ..."
(Galileo Galilei just after abjuring to the Inquisition)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

GAlex wrote:nanotubes filled surfaces are the actual most efficient cooling system.
only a prototype in research institutes, but are been proved efficient.
more, they are packable w/out sensible efficiency loss.
Go wonder - that was actually one of my crazy ideas a long while ago, working on a different game.
GAlex wrote:ok ok ok, nanotubes are not aesthetically pleasing for the observer, just a black, rough surface, but have you ever seen something that is efficient, cheap and beutifull? (apart Italian design, of course :wink: ).
I wouldn't call a Lamborghini "cheap", nor a Fiat "beautiful" (nor efficient, for that matter).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

@klauss
touché :wink:
I know, I know... it was only a bit of campanilism 8) .
however I was referring to little objects, not cars.
"de gustibus non disputandum est" we say, but nanotubes surfaces are really of no interest at all, aesthetically speaking.
"Eppur si muove ..."
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

"de gustibus non disputandum est" say you?
Wasn't that your ancestors?
Last edited by To Megatherion on Fri May 26, 2006 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Pontus disputandum. whatever THAT meant. :lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

@megatherion
in Italy we use a lot of old latin maxims and idiomatic phrases.

like this one, that is one of my favourite: "Festa Lente"
that is to say: hurry slowly :wink:

another one is: "mater semper certa est, pater nunquam"
that means: "you can be sure of who is your mother, you can never be sure of who is your father" (in fact this is a roman law concept) :lol:

and, last but not least: "sedem in anno licet insanire"
that means: "once a year you can go mad" :twisted: and we use it to justify carnival parties.

but there are hundreds of these maxims we use every day.
"veni, vidi, vici" (tiè, ciapa lì e purta a cà)
"Eppur si muove ..."
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Please, please tell me these are being included in the source database (I haven't checked lately - guilty :oops: ).

Great looking and certainly fit in with the artwork originally provided by DirtyMagic!
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

@Silverain:
Zeog wrote: Pictures are submitted to svn. They should now show in game as various kinds of "Capacitors".