Planetary Bomber?

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Planetary Bomber?

Post by zaydana »

Well, seeing there is a dynamnic universe now i thought that maybe we needed some sort of bomber ship that would bomb planets in order to help take over them? I dunno... anyways here is what i did on it...

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/images/bomber.png
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/images/bomber2.png
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

what side would use this bomber?

-scheherazade
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

Pretty cool. I'm assuming the end with 5 points coming out is the back? If so, then without that center one it would look kind of like the tails of the ships in the old 50's TV show "Flash Gordon" (which is good).

OR, if you made that end the front, then it would look like a super weapon. Freelancer has some sort of capship where one whole end was a weapon.

Now my next question is: Where's the bomb?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Definately and Rlaan ship.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

the rlaan have rather changed their styles of late
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Haha. Well then.

nevermind.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hellcat wrote:the rlaan have rather changed their styles of late
yeah...Howies work on them looks great :-)

this would have made a great old-school rlaan ship though :-)

is the plan still to fork the data dirs? cause this may be able to be a rlaan ship if this is happening.....

Dan.a
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

well... i don't know what faction it is. I am thinking rlaan... cos Terran is blocky, Aera is traignly and rlaan is everything else.

I will make a ship file and all if i can find the button to put a texture on a ship in wings3d (i can get to the UV map projection stage, but i can't find how to select the image to use as a texture)...

Some description of it...

well... the little hole on the outer edges of the 'wings' are the bomb bays...
the tail is the part with all the 5 things coming out the back... although i might actually cut the middle one out

Also, i have made another ship using the same chassis, but with BIG guns on each of the wings instead of bomb bays, and the wings ni this one are at different heights so as to let all the guns fire at the same time without hitting each other.

Maybe it could be used as the base of say a 'frigate' class Rlaan ship? They don't all have to be the same, after all. But then, on the same note, it could be the frigate class of any species.

al;so, i have not done any modelling... so i don't know how i will make it so mukltiple wepaons can go on the end? Would i do an object for the ship, then an object for the tip of each wing, with the weapon on it? or can somebody point me in the direction of a modelling tutorial or something? thanx.

Another thing now... eh... how would i go about making a Carrier which can launch ships in the game? possible?
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

zaydana wrote:I will make a ship file and all if i can find the button to put a texture on a ship in wings3d (i can get to the UV map projection stage, but i can't find how to select the image to use as a texture)...
Read the texturing howto very carefully ;-)
(Especially the part about 0.98.09 and below)

Also this thread in the wings forum describes the (new) import of an image.

HTH
Pontiac
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

zaydana wrote:Another thing now... eh... how would i go about making a Carrier which can launch ships in the game? possible?
it is possible.....if you are flying the cruiser you can launch fighters from your cargo storage :-)

if the ai is flying, then I think someone needs to modify the ai for cruisers...I don't think this is implemented just yet :-)

Dan.a
FireHawk

Post by FireHawk »

Well it aint bad :)...actually I rather like the design but how many polies?

Looks like you smoothed or beveled edges the thing to make it look better...while smoothing can be great, you have to go back over your model and merge vertcies that arent needed.

There are quite a sections on the model where vertcies can be merged and you wouldnt notice the diffrence.

Near the back you have alot of small quads, for something to seem round you only need 5-16gon shapes Pentagon.etc
for things like turrents a 3 sided face is all thats needed *since its so small* once a texture is on it..it actually looks round

16 is for very large star bases....you might go over 16 but only for something really massive.
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

yeah... it is huge pollies... like 1500 or something. The reason being i just got a new processor and i wanted to test how far it could go so i made a nice little model and smoothed it as much as i could to see how far my processor could go. But i could only use undo history to a certain level so i saved it as best as i could :) I spent ages looking for lpaces where i could merge 2 faces... spose i sitll gotta keep going.
FireHawk

Post by FireHawk »

lol dont fret, I have done the same.

I had a low poly armor model of about 1500 polies made so it was to be smoothed to about 300000 for it to look good
guess what :) I saved the high poly version over the low poly version so I couldnt ever add anything more to it :)
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

about the ai, if the cruiser releases the fighters, will they come back?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

only when you leave it 5 or so systems behind--then it will reland and unspawn
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

Nice model. Just a few notes - take or leave as you please:

It looks VERY aft-heavy to me. When you say 'planetary bomber' i assume you mean it could be used in atmosphere. Although there would be tech like antigrav/repulorlifts/etc for hovering etc, it would realistically more stable if the bigger wing was in the middle. That would mean it'd handle better (when you have a bomber you wanna be able to squeeze out as much maneuverability as you possibly can because they're generally pretty vunerable in that respect) and would rely less on repulsors etc to keep it horizontal (meaning better fuel/energy economy, and possibly allow those resources to be reallocated to other areas like forward propulsion or weapons).

I like the forward wing idea though (regardless of size). Even in current aircraft design there is a move to have small wings at the front as it makes more sense - similar theory to having car steering from the front. atm most planes fly like the steering wheels are at the back...we're flying like forklifts!