Final renders for shield systems

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:? Bad wording again on my part.

Of course I know that. I meant your plans for why you're switching to Ogre. I meant do you people plan, to make them walkable or just to add some 3d effects on some parts of it? Like camera zooming, etc.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I don't know if there are definite plans. It's certainly in the realm of possibility.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I recommend Freelancer style bases then. Not fully 3d. But with preprogrammed camera views. Sorry for hijacking this thread. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ya, the immediate goal is to have the same 2D bases, with ships flying by and that stuff, possibly.

The not-so-immediate-but-not-long-term-either goal is to have point-n-click 3D bases. It's like a freelancer style: you have a camera, either first or third person (probably both - switchable), and you click your way through the interface.

Then... there's the possibility of doing full FPS walkable bases. Firefly needs them, so they probably will realize engine-side.

For the last two paragraphs, though, it's artwork-side, where things get hairy.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Even if I'm a bit late I want to congratulate on those very nice Shieldgenerators. They are just amazing. It's a pity my VS doesn't show the images of the cargo for some reason.
But now I'm sure I shouldn't dabble with 3D modellers anymore...there's ppl out there who're better at that.
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

But now I'm sure I shouldn't dabble with 3D modellers anymore...there's ppl out there who're better at that.
Why not? :P Ergo's really good, it should inspire instead of discouraging :wink: .
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
ergo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ergo »

To Megatherion wrote:Even if I'm a bit late I want to congratulate on those very nice Shieldgenerators. They are just amazing. It's a pity my VS doesn't show the images of the cargo for some reason.
latest version form svn showes them im not sure why only for the "4 sides" generators ;-)

besides im not "good" in 3d graphics - the trick is in the texture, the models are promitives almost everywhere , there wasnt much of modelling here ;-) just try to think what can you do to create the "right feeling" and you'll do fine. those models are very simple they render about 5s without texture , and 8 h with the texture :P
Using : SVN
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

ergo wrote:latest version form svn showes them im not sure why only for the "4 sides" generators ;-)
Because I thought it to be desireable to show all the pictures we have (your 5 shields and 6 more by Silverain). Since a "shield 2" is different from a "shield 4" I chose to represent each type by its own art style rather than mixing art styles.
Furthermore this way everybody can evaluate how all the pictures look in game. At the development stage I think it's important to show what is there in order to decide what to include and how to distribute it for the release version.
Last night I dreamed I ate an eight pound marshmallow. This morning my pillow was gone. Where is my pillow?
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I agree. the more diverse, the merrier. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

@ ergo
Ok, you're only an average modeller if not worse...but a good (or even better) texturer.
I can't (as of yet) get the hang of texturing. Perhaps I should try some more.
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.