New Freighter Model?

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

New Freighter Model?

Post by Oblivion »

Rooting through past files in my PC. I came across ship models I once did, and forgotten I had. They look nice. :wink:

Unfortunately, I don't know how to add models to the game, as I use 3dsmax, and there seems to be no topic for 3dsmax users. :( I used the freighter model for a new base render. But I'll post it here, if anyone is interested:

views of the mesh:

Views of it in flight:

:)

Full renders: (Feel free to use it as wallpapers lol)
http://www.deeplayer.com/Oblivion/ArtemisFleet02.jpg
http://www.deeplayer.com/Oblivion/ArtemisFleet01.jpg

And moving it around:

And a model I doubt CAN be included, but I'd like to show, anyways. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

The easiest way to transform them to game compactable format is to export them to .obj with Blender or Wings. Don't know if 3DS exports to .obj. Then copy the file to the same directory that you have the VS Mesher utility in. Open command line utility (run -> cmd),
change the active directory to your VS bin dir (example - cd c:\program files\vegastrike-0.4.3\bin), then run mesher.exe. It should show help. Then write a line like this: mesher.exe <ship>.obj <ship>.bfxm obc The obc applies for what do you want the mesher to do. There was a section in the Wiki somewhere about adding ships. There is complete information about adding new models.

Very cool ships! 8)
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Okay. Thanks. :D

However. I can't ever seem to find a .obj importer/exporter plugin for 3dsmax 5.1

Will continue hunting. But as always, my online time is limited. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Then you could send them to me and I'll export them to .obj. Only I'm not sure about the light particles you added. :roll:
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Yay :D

I'll have them in 3ds format. The textures too and all

with the lighting. They're glow lens effects. I'm afraid that cannot be exported. But I'm sure it can be duplicated for blender or wings with glow maps. Not sure, how exactly to do that though. :(

Problem I foresee:
I think the polygon faces are too much. Not sure. Anyways, if they can't be exported, they could be used as surface haulers, probably. Feel free to use them any way you like.

I'll bring them next time i'm online. Tomorrow or the day after. :D

EDITTED: Grammar mistakes. -English teacher

EDITTED AGAIN: see my base backgrounds thread. I've included them in new bases. Amd you may also want to download my replacements for the current generic bases. Need more beta testers :roll:
Last edited by Oblivion on Thu May 11, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

That's good; I just found out that I have done an incorrect instal of Blender - no scripts, no script dir! I guess I still need help extracting .tgz archives. :oops:
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

.tgz? That's linux right? No idea whatsoever on that. :lol: I use zip, rar, or ace. I can't even be depended upon to extract .tar :roll:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

um, a little mistake - that was .bz2 archive. I'm a complete noob to linux and still have much to learn as I even was unable to instal correctly Inkscape. :x
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:? And I am completely clueless on Linux. :) Anyway, pm me your email and I'll send the models as attachments. Don't worry, I'll scan everything beforehand (My computer is pure and virginal as mountain snow. haha :D )
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Can't blender import 3ds files? Install blender, import your 3ds models, then export to .obj and bob's your uncle!
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Oblivion wrote:
Problem I foresee:
I think the polygon faces are too much. Not sure.
Well, polygon count should rarely be a problem as long as you're willing to make some LOD meshes :)
Link
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Link »

Kangaroo22 wrote:um, a little mistake - that was .bz2 archive. I'm a complete noob to linux and still have much to learn as I even was unable to instal correctly Inkscape. :x
For .tar.bz2, use tar -xvjf [file]. For .tar.gz (or .tgz), use tar -xvzf [file]. And in the rare case you have a file that is not a form of tarball (IE, it doesn't contain .tar), use gunzip [file] if it's gzipped or bunzip2 if it's a .bz2 ;) .

And on Windows, I believe WinRAR recognises all those fancy archives. Except for 7z, of course :P .

---

Anyway, NICE ship! Looks a bit like a Clydesdale, only I like this one better. The lighting is a bit overdone though - it makes it seem like a small ship. I mean, there's no way you could see that much light emitted from a capship at that distance. Unless it's not a capship, but it does deserve to be one :) .

//Link - /me wouldn't mind seeing this in-game.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Thanks a lot, Link!

My problem is that approximatley 1 of 300 computer users in Latvia have Linux, so I can't get help from people in my country. And the FAQs and WIKIs usually show what to do in an exact case but don't show the logic, or I'm unable to understand the text (most likely) :?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Cool.

Once you get it properly converted to obj, read HowTo:Add Ships on the wiki for guidance on getting it into the game.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@JackS - What's a LOD mesh? :roll: sorry, I'm not really good at this.

But I think I'll pass on adding this ingame myself. I'm not too keen on downloading large stuff like blender. :lol: I barely downloaded VS itself.

But I'll offer the .3ds meshes. It includes the parts of the ship (it has parts, but no turret mounts, :( ).

It has instructions in it, plus the number of faces/vertices, etc. Again, I modelled this ship way before I even knew there were open-source space-shooters. :wink:

I'll upload it somewhere, and feel free to tinker around with it. If someone can turn this into a real ship ingame. I'd be very happy :mrgreen: . If not, it's fine with me. :D

Or maybe, it could inspire others there to model cargo ships that really look like cargoships. haha

The lights, are for show. :) I've removed them in the .3ds files. Okay, I'll post the link here later.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,