Cargo-Art for Dilithium

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Cargo-Art for Dilithium

Post by To Megatherion »

I just made two similar graphics for Dilithium. Staying true to the description it is "not particularly exciting". However, I tried to stay true to the structure of actual dilithium telluride:

What do you think?
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Wouldn't know how Dilithium telluride looks. But I think , sorry :wink: , it's awfully pixelated.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

It IS pixelated in reality...
Well, of course not. Now that you mention it.
Perhaps I shouldn't have compressed the png. so much. I resized the pics from 1024², perhaps that did some additional pixelating?

If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Hmm, maybe a bit more exciting wouldn't hurt too much. These white things could be anything. Maybe a close-up could reveal more, some dispersion and caustics? I did a quick sample to illustrate what I mean:
Last night I dreamed I ate an eight pound marshmallow. This morning my pillow was gone. Where is my pillow?
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Well, that looks a bit nicer I must admit. But the colour is not correct since the stuff is white or if not 100% pure slightly amber. But I guess the stuff Trekkies would go for is the stuff they'd use in the warpdrive and I assume this should be pure.
Unfortunately I dunno how to make it look more like a real crystal...which software do you use?

Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I think the "pixellation" problem is probably due to lack of antiailiasing.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

To Megatherion wrote:Well, that looks a bit nicer I must admit. But the colour is not correct since the stuff is white or if not 100% pure slightly amber. But I guess the stuff Trekkies would go for is the stuff they'd use in the warpdrive and I assume this should be pure.
Well then, a white version:
and a light amber one:
In white it doesn't look as spectacular, though.
What is the structure of dilithium telluride you were talking about? It's hard to see on your pictures. Hexagonal and somewhat flattened, I presume?
To Megatherion wrote:Unfortunately I dunno how to make it look more like a real crystal...which software do you use?
The sooo ugly one: Blender :wink:
Last night I dreamed I ate an eight pound marshmallow. This morning my pillow was gone. Where is my pillow?
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

you can find out some stuff about dilithium
here
they dont have any real life pictures, but they do have the crystal structure and some other info (like where it comes from)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ehm... wasn't dilithium fictional?

AFAIK, lithium is a metal... no crystalline structure... and according to the wikipedia, there's no pure form found in nature. (di-lithium would be one such pure form).

In any case, neither you could make pure di-lithium: as all metals, they bind in a metallic way, so just like you don't have Fe2, or Na2, you neither have Li2. You could create Ionized cristalline componds, but Li-Li - no, not that, not with any techinque I know (which isn't much to say, I'll grant you that).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

klauss wrote:Ehm... wasn't dilithium fictional?

AFAIK, lithium is a metal... no crystalline structure... and according to the wikipedia, there's no pure form found in nature. (di-lithium would be one such pure form).

In any case, neither you could make pure di-lithium: as all metals, they bind in a metallic way, so just like you don't have Fe2, or Na2, you neither have Li2. You could create Ionized cristalline componds, but Li-Li - no, not that, not with any techinque I know (which isn't much to say, I'll grant you that).
dilithium crystals fueling the warp drive... yes exceedingly fictional

yes, lithium is a very soft metal (makes a good addive to grease) somewhere buried in teh back of my mind is all the periodic info on lithium... but um... i thnk the hrd dfrive has bad sectrs on itd :P

lithium is also helpful in keeping some ppl from killing themselves...

dilithium telluride (Li2Te) however, would be a mineral with a crystaline structure... too bad natural chemistry on earth pretty much rules out the possibility of finding it in your backyard

oh... and it looks like the site i linked to cant be brought up anymore... huh... it had a neat picture of a crystal....
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

klauss wrote:AFAIK, lithium is a metal... no crystalline structure... and according to the wikipedia, there's no pure form found in nature. (di-lithium would be one such pure form).
A pure metal is per se of crystaline (regular spacial) structure. But it doesn't have the diamond looks, since the electronic structure causes it to reflect visible light.
klauss wrote:In any case, neither you could make pure di-lithium: as all metals, they bind in a metallic way, so just like you don't have Fe2, or Na2, you neither have Li2. You could create Ionized cristalline componds, but Li-Li - no, not that, not with any techinque I know (which isn't much to say, I'll grant you that).
Hmm, there's a lot of research being done in the area of metal clusters. If you can collect 10^23 atoms for a macroscopic piece of pure metal, why not just 9. Of course, clusters as Na9 for example cannot exist in our atmosphere. One needs to produce them in vacuum or embed them in a noble gas matrix.

see wikipedia for clusters

@sunfire: the links works fine for me, but I didn't want to steal To Megatherion idea! I just wanted to give an example of how a crystal could/should look like in terms of quality.

P.S. Don't have time now... good bye!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Zeog wrote:
klauss wrote:AFAIK, lithium is a metal... no crystalline structure... and according to the wikipedia, there's no pure form found in nature. (di-lithium would be one such pure form).
A pure metal is per se of crystaline (regular spacial) structure. But it doesn't have the diamond looks, since the electronic structure causes it to reflect visible light.
Hm... funny, I always thought of metal bonds as "irregular"... but after reading a bit, more than irregular is "maleable", in that layers have no fixed position and can slide rather freely - that still wouldn't constitute a crystal, and that wouldn't have any crystalline structure, would it?
Anyway... my chemistry is utterly basic, I was just pointing out that you won't find, by any chance, real-life pictures of dilithium.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I think most processed metals are granular, meaning, made up of microscopic metal crystals. Jet engine blades are grown as single metal chrystals, or at least some are, but it's rather expensive to do.
My chemistry is poor too, but I think that knowing the color, whether it's transparent or reflective, and if the former, its dielectric constant, should be enough data for shading it. From the christaline structure, one could try and figure out how the chrystal would break (facet orientations).
Though, it's not necessary that a christal be broken like a jewel, and some won't. Pyrolytic graphite is opaque gray and bends like rubber, yet it's a chrystal.

EDIT:
Ermm.... This PDF shows dilithium chrystals, scroll down half way..
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Yeah, well...since the structure shown here (http://webmineral.com/data/Dilithium.shtml) is only the smallest available structure it's not really necessary to keep it, I mean, not every salt (NaCl) crystal has the shape of a cube. So I guess those Blendered longish crystals are just fine and look way better than mine, especially since Blender seems to be able to do something with the refractive index unlike OpenFX, which I'm using and which doesn't look very impressive. (Yet there's a slight chance of my not using it properly).
:D

jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Right, but it only shows you the grid which won't tell you what a macroscopic crystal would look like. Those elemental cells (Elementarzellen, dunno what it's called in English) are always based on cubes (as on the site you pointed out) and are the smallest unit representing a repeating pattern in the structure (similar to formulas of polymers like polystyrene etc.). Yet one cannot assume that the crystal is cubic because the elemental cell is a cube...else every mineral would be cube-shaped.

jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

good point, my bad.
wtrmute
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wtrmute »

Eh, wasn't it written on top of the lattice representation? The crystalline shape is tetrahedral -- like diamond, IIRC.

I think that kind of quartz-shaped crystal in the models would be more suited to hexagonal crystals, like, um, quartz. And graphite, too, methinks.
antarctic
Explorer
Explorer

Post by antarctic »

Well, I've done some generic crystal pictures (just different colous from the same template) for the four different types of crystals being used. The original image is in the public domain (from wikipaedia). They're all 128 x 128 PNG's.

Would it be better to have different variations of the same pictures for all the crystals, or completely different images?

Regards

Antarctic
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Well, since different crystals crystallize in different shapes, I would recommend several pictures. Colour, of course, should also be correct. No need to make a corundum red or yellow when apparently real corundum is white (or without colour)*.
*Of course you get impure corundum in all colours...Ruby for example is a corundum that has some chromium ions in it.

antarctic
Explorer
Explorer

Post by antarctic »

To Megatherion wrote:Well, since different crystals crystallize in different shapes, I would recommend several pictures. Colour, of course, should also be correct. No need to make a corundum red or yellow when apparently real corundum is white (or without colour)*.
*Of course you get impure corundum in all colours...Ruby for example is a corundum that has some chromium ions in it.
You make a good point there, especially with the fact that corundum is a real life crystal (I didn't know this - you learn something new every day), of which we can find photos - I'll have a look into that.
However, I was thinking that the purpose of the pictures is to tell the player what he/she is buying in the trade screens, and to make the UI more interesting - so IMHO having something that is immediately recognisable as a crystal may be more important than having an accurate picture.

Regards

Antarctic
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

antarctic wrote:
To Megatherion wrote:Well, since different crystals crystallize in different shapes, I would recommend several pictures. Colour, of course, should also be correct. No need to make a corundum red or yellow when apparently real corundum is white (or without colour)*.
You make a good point there, especially with the fact that corundum is a real life crystal (I didn't know this - you learn something new every day), of which we can find photos - I'll have a look into that.
However, I was thinking that the purpose of the pictures is to tell the player what he/she is buying in the trade screens, and to make the UI more interesting - so IMHO having something that is immediately recognisable as a crystal may be more important than having an accurate picture.

Regards

Antarctic
That is likewise my general opionion - in the absence of art, a very attractive interim solution would seem to be category based iconongraphy of some sort or another "A is a crystal/gemstone/etc. and B is a weapon and C has something to do with sheep". This is not to say that distinct per-item pictures are in any way undesired, but that A) they will be of more importance when the cargo list itself is less likely to be frequently rewritten and B) the benefit of having a very specific picture over a category picture would seem to be smaller than the benefit of having a category picture over no picture at all.
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

So you would like a category picture for crystals?
Well, for that purpose those crystal pics above would be quite nice...I mean, everybody can see those are crystals. I especially like the clear one since it doesn't imply it's any special kind of crystal...on the other hand, why not take the colour that goes best with the UI?

antarctic
Explorer
Explorer

Post by antarctic »

Well, if someone would like to name some colours they want the crystals to be, I'll try my best to make it :D.
Also, I was thinking that since there's 4 types of crystals in the game, we can have one colour per crystal.

Regards
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Well, here come the colours.
Trilithium (aka Trilithiumnitride) violet (since it is violet)
Dilithium (aka Dilithiumtelluride) amber (actually white, but tends to amber if not 100% pure)
Quartz (aka Silicondioxide) no colour (white translucent)
Corundum (aka Aluminumoxide) whit or red ((synthetic) ruby), blue ((synthetic)sapphire)