Base Backgrounds

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Ok, my fault. I didn't know this was your intention.

It really does look like it would fall over if a few more ships decide to land on one side. Thanks for pointing that out.
Come to think of it, overhangs like that could use columns underneath.
Same for the big cylindrical building. Even if they were thin columns,
they'd make the buildings look more believable, I think.
:lol: Glad you think so too. The first thing I thought of was to move the entire cylinders down, so they's be sitting on the mountains. But then, I thought it would look plain.

And so, I came to the same conclusion - columns. :) But mine are not quite as detailed architecturally as I would like them. Partly because my PC was starting to cough on the framerates. :( and partly because I'm quite lazy when it comes to planning before modelling. :wink: I just took the tower columns, retextured them, and spaced them along the edges. :)
Hope it looks good enough.

Here are remakes of the previous renders. Tried to correct the whitish gash of supposed to be rock that just doesn't seem like rock and now instead came up with a mountain that seems like it had a bad fight with a lawn mower. :lol: Anyhow, I still think it looks nice.

There are two sunset renders, because I like 'em both. ;)

Day:

Night:

Sunsets:

links to full renders will be added here later.
And sorry if it looks simplistic if you really do take the time to zoom way into it. I don't think anyone would be squinting at them anyway.

http://www.deeplayer.com/Oblivion/02Gen ... sh_day.jpg

http://www.deeplayer.com/Oblivion/02Gen ... _night.jpg

http://www.deeplayer.com/Oblivion/02Gen ... sunset.jpg

http://www.deeplayer.com/Oblivion/02Gen ... unset2.jpg
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

sweeeeet!

Great work there! :-D

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

GEEEK :D

message intercepted on red phone: "IN BEHALF OF THE HIGHBORN UPPER COUNCIL I PROMOTE A MOTION TO HAVE THIS BASE OF OURS AS THE HIGHEST REPRESENTATIVE OF OUR MAGNIFICENT AND PERFECT SOCIETY IN VS SVN BRANCH REPRESENTATIVE. SHOULD ANY WORLD OF THE GALAXY BE NOT WITH US WE WILL IMMEDIATELY IMPOSE A COMMERCIAL EMBARGO ON IT" (i.e. forget our c 8) 8) l ships!)

tracing back ... shutting down.
"Eppur si muove ..."
(Galileo Galilei just after abjuring to the Inquisition)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Ditto.
I think the sunset views need properly elongated shadows, tho.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Oblivion wrote:So, I need help with more skies,
Tried my hand at this, lookin very generic now, but this is the best I can do now.

Let me know if you need the large images.

There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Pretty good, but I'm not so keen on the white lines surrounding the circles. Looks kinda cartoony IMO.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Halleck wrote:Pretty good, but I'm not so keen on the white lines surrounding the circles. Looks kinda cartoony IMO.
I can see the purpose (lights) but they just don't like like, well, lights! They seem to have no effect on the very objects they are attached to.

Still, it's much better than I could do and starting to look very nice. A little touching up and these will be very useful.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@Kangaroo
Thanks. I also found a lot of skies and textures in Wiki Commons where Halleck once pointed me to. :) But you can send them via email. Help appreciated. :wink:

@chuck
I think the sunset views need properly elongated shadows, tho.
will involve changing Sun's angle again... :wink:
Pretty good, but I'm not so keen on the white lines surrounding the circles. Looks kinda cartoony IMO.
I can see the purpose (lights) but they just don't like like, well, lights! They seem to have no effect on the very objects they are attached to.

Still, it's much better than I could do and starting to look very nice. A little touching up and these will be very useful.
Arrrgh. See what I mean about posting WIPs :wink:
Not complaining. :D But I'm facing a few more days with this model hogging my PC time. Sorry, but I really get bored with things I'm working on easily (not VS. I mean individual artwork), so either I finsih em fast or they'll gather mold somewhere forever :D

They're landing lights. They only glow, which is an after-render effect, so no casting of shadows/lights at all. I'll see if I can simulate them actually radiating light.

Any more requests?...

PS. I'm not mad at critiscism. :D REALLY. I'm just doubtful of my own capacity to maintain enough inspiration :P . Sorry if I sound snappish.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
prestidigitator
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by prestidigitator »

I think the platforms in the night scenes would look good with the outlined lights you have on there and some extra landing lights on the surface, like some light concentric circles and a cross in the center or something. Or maybe a rectangular landing area and a couple areas outlined for cargo staging, walkways, etc. It might help with the illumination, too.

Oh, and one very, very minor quibble. In one of the shots there is a little ship centered almost exactly on that moon. You might want to offset it just a little (as is it makes the brain think: weird shields...? Oh, no. It's a moon. I see).
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Affirmative. The little ship will have to go. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,