My first try at modelling, have mercy with criticism

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

æþeling
Trader
Trader

My first try at modelling, have mercy with criticism

Post by æþeling »

I started learning blender a few days ago, did some tutorials, and came up with this:

It's a Normandy class dropship, intended for orbital drops of soldiers and light equipment into combat zones. Measuring 30 metres in distance, it can carry about 100 soldiers in full combat equipment and up to 10 light combat vehicles. Since it's intended only for short transports, it has no SPEC drive, and no shields. Instead, it uses a powerfull booster to reach orbit and escape from possible threats in space. While it's not very good at space-maneuvering, it has wings and side-boosters which allow it to maneuver avay from any threats on land. Due to it's limited usefullness, it has to be deployed in massive numbers to have an effect on the battle on the surface. Because of that drawback, it's normally only used for first-strike invasions and emergency reinforcement&supply drops where gathering larger dropships in sufficient time is impossible. After dropping it's "cargo", it can support the land army by providing navigation intel and, if necesarry, assume the role of a heavy atmospheric fighter. Since it's main booster is too weak to reach the escape velocity of most of the planets, and spends most of it's fuel (which it can't hold much) to get to the surface, it has to be returned to orbit by a larger craft.
ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe
Pentium 4 Xeon 3,2GHz @ 3,8 GHz (cooled by Zalman CNPS 7700Cu)
2x 512mb DDR400 Corsair ram
Leadtek Geforce A6600GT TDH AGP, GPU 500Mhz @ 630 Mhz, 128mb GDDR ram 900 Mhz @ 1200Mhz, cooled by Revoltec VGA Freezer
Gentoo 200601
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I'm glad you're learning Blender. People who learn Wings first often learn nothing second, but get forever stuck with Wings.
The model is ultra-low-poly; but I guess you know that. If it was for running on a software-only engine, on a 386, that would be perfect. Typical poly count for a small ship or fighter is about 3000 to 5000 tris (each quad counts as two tris).
Looks clean, and well proportioned, tho.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Keep it up man, always good to have modellers.
chuck_starchaser wrote:People who learn Wings first often learn nothing second, but get forever stuck with Wings.
Because when you get used to Wings, working with any other modelling program seems ultra slow. I can't say I don't want to switch to other programs, but every other program seems to have all kinds of functions I don't even need (I hope I'm wrong)
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Blender is renowned for its speed. Keyboard shortcuts for just about everything... It's only slow to learn, --for me anyways; some people learn it very fast...
Check out the Blender speed competitions. Incredibly well detailed models, some of them, typically done in 30 minutes including rendering.
æþeling
Trader
Trader

Post by æþeling »

chuck_starchaser wrote:I'm glad you're learning Blender. People who learn Wings first often learn nothing second, but get forever stuck with Wings.
The model is ultra-low-poly; but I guess you know that. If it was for running on a software-only engine, on a 386, that would be perfect. Typical poly count for a small ship or fighter is about 3000 to 5000 tris (each quad counts as two tris).
Looks clean, and well proportioned, tho.
On Linux, I don't have much of a choice but to use Blender :wink:

And I realize it's low poly and definetely not suitable for in-game material - it was meant as such, just experimenting, nothing serious :D As I said, this is my first try at modeling without a tutorial.
ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe
Leadtek Geforce A6600GT TDH AGP, GPU 500Mhz @ 630 Mhz, 128mb GDDR ram 900 Mhz @ 1200Mhz, cooled by Revoltec VGA Freezer
Gentoo 200601
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

We got tons of modelling work to do, for WCU, if Wing Commander remakes interest you.
By the way, check out the wiki, if you haven't yet.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo#Modelling
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Just like I said... Everybody willing to do some work goes making good stuff for mods, leaving VS with most low-quality artwork together with some models of professionals... kinda sad :cry:
æþeling
Trader
Trader

Post by æþeling »

chuck_starchaser wrote:We got tons of modelling work to do, for WCU, if Wing Commander remakes interest you.
By the way, check out the wiki, if you haven't yet.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo#Modelling
Acctually, I have no or very limited knowledge about any universe (besides Star Trek) you're trying to remake in vega strike, so I thought I'd just stick with VS.
ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe
Gentoo 200601
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Kangaroo22 wrote:Just like I said... Everybody willing to do some work goes making good stuff for mods, leaving VS with most low-quality artwork together with some models of professionals... kinda sad :cry:
And what exactly is sad about that? Modelling for VS is a waste of time and human talent, IMO, since VS isn't a game and probably will never be. Like... where's the story? All you can do is "Explore the Universe", and ironically, there are no UN-explored systems to explore; and all my arguing for that there should be un-explored systems, exploration ships and equipment, and an exploration guild, fell on deaf ears, as did everything else that was ever suggested at the features request forum.
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

chuck_starchaser wrote:
Kangaroo22 wrote:Just like I said... Everybody willing to do some work goes making good stuff for mods, leaving VS with most low-quality artwork together with some models of professionals... kinda sad :cry:
And what exactly is sad about that? Modelling for VS is a waste of time and human talent, IMO, since VS isn't a game and probably will never be. Like... where's the story?
That's uncool.
Let the guy model for VS if he so prefers.
Besides... it's not like he's going to start producing pro-grade stuff anytime soon... he has to learn... and learn he can by doing models for any mod, VS or otherwise.
So it's pointless debate, right now.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

chuck_starchaser wrote:All you can do is "Explore the Universe", and ironically, there are no UN-explored systems to explore; and all my argument for that there should be unexplored systems, exploration ships and equipment, and an exploration guild, fell on deaf ears, as did everything else.
Hm... there first has to be an universe to explore. The "SystemExplorer" should become, eventually, the "SystemDesigner" ;)
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

klauss wrote:
chuck_starchaser wrote:
And what exactly is sad about that? Modelling for VS is a waste of time and human talent, IMO, since VS isn't a game and probably will never be. Like... where's the story?
That's uncool.
Let the guy model for VS if he so prefers.
Well, I was responding to Kangaroo, who, not for the first time, insists that people working on other mods than VS is a "sad" thing. It relly gets under my skin when he says that... And he's working on another mod too; figures...
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

klauss wrote:
chuck_starchaser wrote:All you can do is "Explore the Universe", and ironically, there are no UN-explored systems to explore; and all my argument for that there should be unexplored systems, exploration ships and equipment, and an exploration guild, fell on deaf ears, as did everything else.
Hm... there first has to be an universe to explore. The "SystemExplorer" should become, eventually, the "SystemDesigner" ;)
Hey, we're talking complete different languages here. I was talking about the game, not the engine. About having a way to "play as an explorer", just as you can be a trader, or a pirate or a hunter. Nothing to do with your System Explorer.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Nono... I too am talking about the game.
It lacks interesting content (to be explored).

I was saying that having a visual designing tool would help create that content, or make it funner so that more contributors show up with patches rather than just ideas.
Wing Commander Universe
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Ok, I appologise for starting this, I just think that it was VS that gave a chance for all these mods, and it should have some feedback. And btw, I still have interest in making models for VS, but I still lack experience in modelling.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

klauss wrote:Nono... I too am talking about the game.
It lacks interesting content (to be explored).

I was saying that having a visual designing tool would help create that content, or make it funner so that more contributors show up with patches rather than just ideas.
Well, my idea was so simple it almost implied the patch :); --no 'design' needed at all: Just make the system generator leave out most systems, and only populate a central are out of the full universe, just so that there IS a "fronteer with the unknown". And you could ask "where's the patch?", and that's a fair question, but I could also ask "where's the post from the VS powers that be, saying "Yeah, we like that idea, would you like to implement it?, we'll help you..." ". Nowhere is where; got the silent treatment. But in any case, the idea was so simple it almost needed no implementation at all. Well, 'explorer upgrades' would... And I'd be willing to help model those, even for Vegastrike the game, in spite of my divorce; but nothing's going to come of this, either; you'll see...
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Kangaroo22 wrote:Ok, I appologise for starting this, I just think that it was VS that gave a chance for all these mods, and it should have some feedback. And btw, I still have interest in making models for VS, but I still lack experience in modelling.
Actually the "mods" aren't "mods of Vegastrike", per se, except in the sense that they use the same engine.

You got plenty experience modelling, by now; hell, you've probably modelled more than most of the modellers in this forum, already... What you are lacking is a proper modelling tool. You're working with a toy.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Well, I've recently tried Blender again, but can't find anywhere my two favourite functions - vertex connect and inset. Simply can't work without them, and searched for them - had no luck. And the camera in Blender puzzles me too. (part of my problems is that I don't know English well enough) Never mind, have to search again, probably didn't try hard enough.

kinda going off topic...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Donno what "vetex connect" means, --I don't speak Wings--. If it means putting a line between two vertexes, you just right click on one, shift right click on the other, to select them, and press F.
If you mean "merging" them, like making them one, Blender gives you two choices: At center, or at cursor. To merge two selected vertexes at center, select them, then press W -> Merge -> At Center.
If you want to merge them at the cursor, same thing .... -> At Cursor.
To place the cursor on one of them, which I often need to do, select the vertex, Shift-S ->Align.. Cursor to Selection.

Donno what "inset" means.

Camera:

To place a camera:
(in Object mode) Space bar -> Camera.

To place another camera:
Space bar -> Camera. :)

To change view to current camera:
(numpad 0/Insert)

To switch current camera to another:
Select the new camera, then
Control-Numpad 0

(The current camera has a black up arrow, all the others have an empty up arrow)

To point the current camera in the direction you're viewing:
(Ctrl+Alt)-Numpad 0

To adjust camera lense (zoom):
In object mode, with camera selected, press F9

HTH
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Thanks, inset means placing a face inside a face.

Need to write this down somewhere, might be useful soon.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Select the face, press E (for Extrude), then S for scale, and move the mouse.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

That's interesting - when I tried doing like you said it before, it scaled down the extruded face AND the original face.
Privateer Ferrius
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Privateer Ferrius »

Well, Im not a Blender expert (that's chuck's toy/tool of choice ;) ) however, i would suggest you make sure that it only has the extruded face selected when you scale (assuming you only want to scale it). I'm unsure about Blender, but both MilkShape and Calagri TrueSpace will have both the original object (verticies, faces, objects, what ahve you) selected as well as the extruded one.
Cmdr. Micheal Ferrius (Ret.)
Retired Confederate Pilot

For Hire!
Post jobs to the BBS!

Tengoku de omachi shite imasu
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

S scales whatever is selected. If too much is selected, Ctrl[-](Numpad minus) will reduce selection; if too little, Ctrl[+](Numpad plus) will spread selection.
BTW, you can follow S with X,Y or Z to scale only in one axis.
Or you can follow with Shift-X if you want to scaly in Y and Z simultaneously but NOT in X, or Shift Y...
You can change the center used for scaling. Two commonly used shortcuts:
[,] (comma) sets for using selection's center as scaling center
[.] (period) sets the cursor as scaling center.
If you ever lose sight of the cursor, C will find it. And to place the cursor at 0,0,0, press Shift-C.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Please excuse me, scaling works at all