Alien Artwork

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Sorry, Zeog, I don't know what's wrong with them too. They're quite large actually. The smallest concept picture is about 800 by 600. largest at 1024x1024. They're all in bmp format. I think something goes boinkers when I upload them in photobucket. They shrink!! Because a lot of them are greater than 512 kb. :cry:

The knees are the narrowed section between the powerful thighs. They're quite high up as Dgn/Shmrn aquatic locomotion requires them to be something like fins. Actually though, I haven't really made the 3d render that detailed because JackS hasnt yet commented on them. Though the sketches of the hunting party were accepted. They'll also supposed to be abit grayer (though covered with oily skin excretions theyd become multihued.)

Okay, Ive converted them to jpeg. Dont know if the text is still clear. :) I'll upload one to see. Ok here's the Ancestral Dgn Hunting Party. These Dgn ancestors are walking on soft mudflats (hence the webbed feet), they are using reeds as tools to pry armored filter feeders from the mud. Disregard the comments below the pic. Its for jackS. These are NOT the modern Dgn and Shmrn. These are the ancestors uplifted by the Lightbearers and Shapers.

A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

yay they worked :lol: . Ok, here are larger images for all your reading pleasure. I'll try to give you more detailed captions on each.

First off...
The Dgn concept. Here's the concept for the modern Dgn. The last concept was NOT how the Dgn look like because of minor misunderstandings in the description. This may still Not be how the final Dgn will look like. But they look fine to me. The Dgn are still second class citizens in Shaper society (they were once slaves or just servants, i think). That's why i still can't reconcile the fact that there are a lot of Dgn stations ingame. Maybe they're Dgn controlled but Shaper owned. :) The Shmrn were freed from Lightbearer slavery by the Andolians in the Andolian-Lightbearer war, along with the Spaceborn and the Klk'k.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Here's some ideas on the Dgn/Shmrn locomotion on land and on water. Terrestrial locomotion is still unclear. Though I prefer the Dgn/Shmrn to have the Avian biped posture. :)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Nuhln

Post by Oblivion »

Here is one of the species that as yet have no concept art whatsoever. These are ideas for the Nuhlns. Slowmoving methane breathers uplifted by the Rlaan. They're ideas so dont get too attached to any of them. Ive ported the Yena concept I posted once to this aliens.:)

A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I forgot, here's another proposed Shmrn logo. The Shmrn are free with their own governments, etc, so they should have logos. No use ingame yet though.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

The Lmpl. Solid terrestrial construction workers.Again still concepts. No official approval as of yet. the lobster-like concept is my choice, obviously.
8)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Mishtali

Post by Oblivion »

Lastly, concepts for the famous Mishtali. The first alien lifeforms discovered by humans. Now working as space station porters. Under the protection of the Unadorned crazy math monks. :)

NOTE: the "mpt" in the warning sign? that's "NOT" :D my built-in neural keyboard navigation went kaput. had it working again by the time I got to the t. :roll:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

For the Mishtali, I'd replace the muzzle with a "patch" that injects aggressiveness suppressors - the muzzle seems too much. Besides... the chemicals leave room for "accidents" :twisted:

BTW - great work... I don't know about their fitness to VS fiction (litterally, don't know - not one way or the other), but by themselves they're great.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

I like your designs. However, your last two concepts look more or less identical, and while they're cool-looking (I like the arms that split into fingers especially) they're really impractical, especially for lifters. Given their weight distribution, they'd fall over on their faces all the time even when they weren't carrying anything, and given that their manipulating limbs are located on the opposite side of their center of mass from the limbs they'd basically spend all their time face-first into the ground, pushing a box of stuff along feebly, going all 'Kiiil meeee, kiiill meeeee, I should not beeeeee."

The Mishtali design might work for a race of physically frail manipulators- especially if you give 'em an extra finger on each hook, they'd be great for technical stuff or just swingin' around zero-G space stations, where weight distribution isn't a problem and having a gajillion long, thin limbs is a big plus. For a heavy lifter, though, you want legs as far apart as possible, at least three of them and preferably more (redundancy is good when you're carrying half a ton of explosives and trip over a cable, and this thing is presumably not being built for speed), distributed more or less evenly around the center of mass. As you might have noticed if you've ever had to haul concrete or other heavy stuff around, supporting weight on the back or central skeletal structure is vastly preferable to carrying it at arm's length, so in addition to strong limbs (you don't need many, you just need strong), you probably want a physical layout that allows your critter to rest weights on their body either directly over their limbs or right in between all of them.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

The Mishtali and the Lmpl

Post by Oblivion »

However, your last two concepts look more or less identical, and while they're cool-looking (I like the arms that split into fingers especially) they're really impractical, especially for lifters. Given their weight distribution, they'd fall over on their faces all the time even when they weren't carrying anything, and given that their manipulating limbs are located on the opposite side of their center of mass from the limbs they'd basically spend all their time face-first into the ground, pushing a box of stuff along feebly, going all 'Kiiil meeee, kiiill meeeee, I should not beeeeee."
First of all, thanks. :)
They are not identical. Sure, Lmpl is segmented, and Mishtali look segemented, but bear in mind, they're uncolored 2d SKETCHES. :) Some other reasons:
1.L-Lmpl are large. (Probably twice/thrice normal Rlaans)

M- Mishtali are only as tall as an average human being.

2.L-Lmpl are covered entirely with a hard exoskeleton
M- Mishtali are covered with spiny(?) plates that overlap each other. These plates only cover parts of the main body, not all. Since they follow the axes of the symmetry (the three "sides" of the body). Their main body might be leathery or covered with fur/feathers. :)

3. Symmetry is a reflection of evolutionary path taken. Lmpl are bilaterally symmetrical - (left, right, mirror images). Mishtali were originally radially symmetrical(three or more identical parts "radiating" from body center) - more accurately trilaterally symmetrical. Saying they look the same would be like saying that a fish and a starfish are closely related, biologically :). Witness the eyes - The Lmpl have base2 - 2 eyes (not sure yet, can be 4); the Mishtali, base3, have 3.

As for weight distribution in the Lmpl... The tails . The tails. And the legs are widely splayed :) Gotta go ASAP. I'll answer more on these issue tomorrow. Bye..
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Yeah, Balance is a problem for the lifters. Got to work on that. But at least the basic body idea is there. :) Major renovations...

The patch idea... yes. Mishtali would probably be insulted by a muzzle. :)

:oops: : Honey go find a Mishy Tally, you can't lift these bags by yourself.
:( : Okay, sweetheart. Hey YOU!! Mishy-whatever. carry these, then those, and those. Get cracking! Stupid cannibals.
:oops: : Oh Honey, why isn't the green light flashing on the Mishy's patchy.
:shock: : uh-oh....
:twisted: (Mishy): Skrrreeeeksh. Skreeksh. Chomp chomp (*Screams*).
Gulp.. Chomp chomp.
(sound of sirens. Security Droids enter.)
:x SPS-67H: Drop the human, mishtali. (Mishy drops bloody human arm)We have been notified of your recent violations of Space Port regulations. You will be suspended from Space Port Employment for two weeks, effective immediately. Be warned, this is your fourth offense. Further such actions will qualify you for deportation to Mining Station Alcatraz. In the future, please refrain from eating in the workplace.
:roll:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Ha! This is great and creative stuff here.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Lmpl Concept 2

Post by Oblivion »

8) You mean the Mishy horror story? :lol:

jackS pretty much said the same thing on the balance problems. here are new leg arrangements for the Lmpl. I made 3d models to better view depth.

Lmpl new concept.

Carrying things. :? Still unsure on them. Advice on better loading positions?

Lmpl leg arrangement side view

Lmpl leg arrangement top view

Lmpl leg arrangement perspective view

Lmpl proposed skeletal structure. Composition unkown as I have very little idea on compounds , organic or otherwise, etc. :)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Nuhln concept

Post by Oblivion »

And a new Nuhln concept selected from concepts posted last time. :)

As for the Mishtali. still working on them. :)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Hmmm. :x No comments. Even hate mail?

Here's an example if you want to but don't know how:

"Dear Oblivon,
&#@!*^$*&@%&%&$%&^%$*$&*%$&*$%
*&^$@*&(^$@*(^$*@^$*&^$*&@$^*&@$^*$@
Sincerely yours,
<your name here>
P.S. ^*&%#&*@%&%$&%"

Please include real home address for me to have somewhere to send my letter bombs to. :)

Go on.. laugh..
:roll:

Anyway, here's a few concepts of the Andolian logo (not sure if that means the Andolian Protectorate. :))

And some problems with guessing exactly what the concept meant. here's the Klk'k Emblem:

And finally the new Mishtali concept.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

And another.... Concept Shmrn/Dgn Architecture + Swamp thingies

A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Mohammer
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Mohammer »

You do such an excellent job on coming up with alien species but.. Would it be legimate or come up with alien related species that are mammal or insectoid related characteristics for the VS universe?

Or how a faction that is entirly controlled by a machine like race(robots)?
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

You do such an excellent job on coming up with alien species but.. Would it be legimate or come up with alien related species that are mammal or insectoid related characteristics for the VS universe?
I didn't quite understand your phrasing. Did you mean to instead of or? Anyway, I think no. Aliens are organisms that evolved separately from any lifeform in Earth. Though there could be similarities due to evolution in similar environments (convergence), the organisms would be entirely alien. The Mishtali and the Lmpl look like insects but I am trying my best to make them as different as possible from Earth animals. As for aliens that look like mammals or insects, I think there are a few, though they are NOT mammals or insects. I don't really know. :) As for mammals, there are genetically modified cetaceans and primates in vega strike, although of course, they are not aliens, as they are from Earth and made by humans.

(But... in an infinite universe, there are no impossibilities. :))
Or how a faction that is entirly controlled by a machine like race(robots)?
There are! :) The Mechanists(Mandate for Corporeal Perfection via the Abandonment of Flesh) for one are humans who have a lot of body augmentations (cyborgs). Another faction, the Unadorned, worship machines and are responsible for some very advanced AI. And then there are the true robots. Though I don't think they have faction of their own, they are very much a part of the VS universe.

:) Read the database in VS Wiki.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Factions
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

"Walking" motion of Mishtali

A more correct Nuhln concept.

Andolian Logo concepts

A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

Hmm... I like the seperate cogs on the last version of that logo. I think though, the logo would be better as just one cog instead of all 6. Just my personal opinion though, don't know what other people think.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:) Me too. I'm waiting for what JackS thinks of the new batch. :) Don't worry, none of the things here are final until approved. :) Just all work in progress. I do appreciate help in ideas though. :)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

How do you think - maybe a large transparent eye in the middle with small cogs forming the "middle" of the eye? (Damn, I can't even express my thoughts correctly!) :wink:
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Wow! What a wealth of new concepts and material. The visual development of VS aliens has been seriously lacking, thanks for coming in to fill the gap.

I think VS needs some gaseous aliens as well, like the slylendro in Star Control 2. Not every life-form need be made of flesh and bones.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I'm enjoying it. But then, I wish someone could help me and JackS polish up the images. :) 3d rendering anyone? I'm still awful at 3d. Learning...

Here's an Uln concept:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

as for gaseous aliens. See the Nuhln concept. they're not entirely gaseous but they're floating. Anyway, truly GASeous aliens would have problems communicating with the much more "solid" beings. :wink: Anyone here played Master of Orion III? The diversityof aliens there is great. but would not entirely fit with a space shooter like VS. :)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,