Atlantia-the rework(ignore other one- forgot the poll)

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

like it so far?

nope, its rubbish
3%
nope, its rubbish
3%
She's a canny ship
47%
She's a canny ship
47%

Total votes: 30

chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Great Idea

Post by chrisdn »

Good idea...I am a firm believer that startaegy and real time should be combined. Having a simple RTS system like transport tycoon or simutrans would work great I reckon. It could be another game mode- Patrician mode
Information is Power...let me find some
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Launch Tubes- At Last

Post by chrisdn »

Finally got my head around them...The Fighter Launch Tubes...16 Port and 16 Starboard allowing 8 squadrons to launch simultaneously. The defensive missile turrets are ready and Kangaroo_22 is just finishing them off.

Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

This might be off topic, but is it possible to code that stations can be conquerable instead of destroying them? Could be like this: one should destroy all of the station's turrets, then destroy all of the station's protection ships and then simulate a fight with soliders inside the base. And then all of the galaxy is after you. :wink:
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

should be

Post by chrisdn »

Kangaroo...I'm kind of taking for granted that that will be possible. Gives players the ability conquer and then make outposts to control areas of space and frontiers. It will really add to the strategy elements of the game. New units like sensor arrays should be added as well to allow monitering of frontiers and boundaries.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

The logo for Atlantia.
And with different font.
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Great stuff

Post by chrisdn »

Looks great kangaroo and I doubt there's anyone who'll disagree...I prefer the first font but lets see what other people think then we can stick with it.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

1st font by a country mile.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

I'd say first font for the title and second for the subtitle. Those two together make it look like a fantasy novel.
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

logo

Post by chrisdn »

Thanks for the input guys and I'm sure Kanga will appreciate it. Why don't try out Ryder's suggestion Kanga...see how it looks.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Looks like this:
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

looking good

Post by chrisdn »

looks goo-ood to me mate!
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

New pics

Post by chrisdn »

Finally figured the turret mounts out! Added the main superstructure defense mounts. The weapons turrets attach direct to these mounts giving excellent fire coverage across the mount's field of view.
Also figured out the hanger configuration now...got the external stuff done, just got to add doors and then after a while I can start the inner workings, transport tubes etc.

Still alot to do but she's definatelt getting there. There are no turrets attached to the mounts as yet and that is the next step!

The green pipework is for the energy weapon turrets. During normal flight they won't be visible and it's only during battle when the core is opened and the energy can flow the repeaters, focussers and various other equipment to channel and focus the energy

SHowing the hanger bays...the smaller ones are for landing fighters and the 2 larger central hangers are for shuttles. Note the defensive mounts below the hanger. These will be for rail guns and missile turrets. Energy/beam turrets won't be much truck against small light fighters.

Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Don't you think that having the turret platforms as subunits of the turrets themselves can save you a lot of time when positioning them in the atlantia.blank file? Looking good, btw.
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by chrisdn »

not a matter of position really or how easy it is it's more about the level of details...as such, each turret is a unit capable of fire and control. In game players (multiple) can take control of turrets just as players can take control of a fighter. I need a low level turret design and then a very detailed turret design which will come as I start the actual game design.

The poly count is getting rather high but the textures are still pretty small so I'm hoping the 2 will balance out at the moment.

For the moment I'm just going to position the turrets onto the mounts for a design point so I know where everything is and how she will look in game.

The only really high poly count at present is the superstructure and in game that will be tackled with a LOD mesh (or so I've been told that's the way to tackle it!).

I need to get the layout of the ship straight in my mind before I can go ahead with anything else because of the story involved. Most gameplay is centred around, within or fighting for Atlantia and as such a huge amount of thought is going to go into the layout, general structure and how each and everything will work and integrate with each other.
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by chrisdn »

Added a couple of turrets to the mounts. Gives quite a good idea of scale I think. I've left the superstructure off on these to make the mounts more prominent.
Each group has a rail gun mount, Beam turret mount and a missile mount...just in case you were wondering :wink:

chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

comdcom

Post by chrisdn »

Here is the commissioning decommissioning facility designed by kangaroo22. This will be one of 16 identical units that make up the entire facility. They will be arranged in a ring of 8 units. The ring is then mirrored down on itself providing a total of 16.
I have tried to put a few tags on to show what bits are and to offer a clearer view of this manufacturing facility. The comdcom will be a huge place. Each unt will be around 2500m long so you can just imagine the scale. A ship of Atlantia's size would have been manufactured in sections here and then stitched together ready to be fitted out.

I think a round of applause needs to go out to kangaroo_22 for this very novel design and his attention to detail.

Before you ask...yes! more detail will be added to increase the perception of size! Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks kangaroo_22.

Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Thanks. About the place you called generators - actually living areas for workers. :) Other stuff you guessed perfectly.
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by chrisdn »

they're habitats? Nice one...I can set a transparency to the domes and build some funky looking buildings inside.

I was right aout solar panels though? You seem to quite like them in your stations so i guessed that's what they were.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

This is starting to look really good.... keep it up!
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by chrisdn »

Here is the comdcom with habitats added...gives it a bit of scale. Still need to add some greebling to the rest of it though.

Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Can you switch the UV spehre to icospehre? And I think it makes no sense to have a tall quartz dome if it has so short buildings inside. One thing that I thought: Could it be possible to make habitats as rotating subunits so that there is some gravity there?
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

(sorry, my internet is struggling)
Last edited by Kangaroo on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by chrisdn »

the buildings will be getting taller, I've just started on the interior. There will be some space above the for the small scale artificial weather system that is part of each habitat.

I'll have a quick look at what an icosphere will look like
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

That's looking better and better; been too busy to come look around this thread lately, but Ploppy just passed me a link at the WCU forum, and I thought this ship might be representative of the kind of texture you might want for Atlantia...
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dheb/ ... /SotkW.htm

Though, probably this other ship's squarish finish might be more inspiring for some of the stations...
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dheb/ ... RichBB.htm
This one's pretty space stationish, too...
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dheb/ ... smarck.htm

Keep it up, guys.
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.