Atlantia-the rework(ignore other one- forgot the poll)

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

like it so far?

nope, its rubbish
3%
nope, its rubbish
3%
She's a canny ship
47%
She's a canny ship
47%

Total votes: 30

Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Yes, very bad idea if the drives are actually spun up... the force is supposed to help if the head is stuck to the platter though. Rotating it with your hand sounds like a gentler solution. Another (odd) anti-sticking measure I've heard of is to actually freeze the disk.

These are all pretty much "last resort" measures though... I think the most prudent thing is to open the drive up and see if you can discern what the problem is. Evidently, you don't really need a clean room anymore since modern drives spin upwards of 7000 rpm. No way dust is gonna stick to that.

EDIT: Actually, the most prudent thing to do is to see if the problem is something other than the hard disk... maybe hook your drive into a friend's comp and see if you can read the data off it first. :D
Last edited by Halleck on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

I have the storyline too, and it's posted in the internet already. Maybe you need your renderings for the Atlantia that you sent me as blueprints?
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by chrisdn »

Thanks for the help guys...Chuck sent me through a copy of my novel to date which will make me sleep easier tonight.

As far as the HDD goes it's actually a physical fault which is a bloody nightmare. Basically, if I want to salvage any info the actual disk (inside the HDD) will have to be remounted and the data salvaged. The computer had been round the world with me a couple of times and was 9 years old so it had it's day. Just annoyed I lost all of my models...bah humbug!!!

Ona bright side it finally made me pull my finger out and order a new PC got a pIV3.6MHz- 1024MB RAM, 256MB ATI X700 PCI E Graphics card which is all getting plugged into my shiny new 42" HDTV which is coming from the same company. Ordered a wireless access point as well so my laptop and desktop can sit on the same network.

Modelling should now get a bit easier for me, I just wish work would let up a little bit.

Any suggestions for the Atlantia mkIII?
Information is Power...let me find some
æþeling
Trader
Trader

Post by æþeling »

Damn that's a nice setup you're getting...how much is it going to cost you?
ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe
Pentium 4 Xeon 3,2GHz @ 3,8 GHz (cooled by Zalman CNPS 7700Cu)
2x 512mb DDR400 Corsair ram
Leadtek Geforce A6600GT TDH AGP, GPU 500Mhz @ 630 Mhz, 128mb GDDR ram 900 Mhz @ 1200Mhz, cooled by Revoltec VGA Freezer
Gentoo 200601
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Hey, when your new desktop arrives why don't you just try mounting your old disk in it? That should save you a pretty penny from using one of those data recovery services.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Maybe you should add turn jets and make it look even more like a piece of art. (more smooth areas, uncommon shapes of greeblings and geometry)
Even now most car drivers have a high priority for the appearance of the car when buying it. And the fact that your novel takes place in a long time ahead, probably there should be invented workarounds for pressure dissipation that let the designers look for cool shapes. After all, you'd be scared more of a modern looking battleship then a piece of chaotially placed gadgets connected by tunnels and covered with hull.

I'm not sure if what I thought and the text matches. :roll:
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by chrisdn »

they say the mark of any civilisation is it's architecture...Architecture is design...look at the pyramids, eiffel tower, stone henge, chrysler tower, Post Office Tower, etc. What I mean is that the real mark of a spacefaring society will be it's design of spacecraft. Who looks more technologically advanced, the guys with the ragtag, assembled of little bits of other machinery, ships or the guys with the very sleek aesthetically designed spacecraft?
I know who I'd vote on!!!

Thruster and components are something I haven't looked at in loads of detail yet. Will probably start this weekend on the Atlantia MKIII. Shit! She hasn't even been finished once and she's already at MKIII!!!
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Good design is elegant... elegance combines form and function. Ideally you can find a balance between asthetics and functionality. If you don't just layer the asthetics on top of the engineering, but instead have the engineering itself be beautiful (which I think most of those examples show), you've struck the balance.
chrisdn
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by chrisdn »

Well said Halleck...form and function must combine. I have tried to do that with Atlantia. I have taken tips form modern ship building in having having standard hulls and use modular units to expand her capabilties for individual missions (just like current ships). I have also tried to make her as graceful a 3x2 mile lump of metal can.
After Atlantia I'll be designing ships using the the same basic hull but fitted for different purposes. I want one to become a heavy cruiser/carrier, another as a colony ship and transport, a tanker and some others. Although the hull will remain standard the vessels themselves will look way, way different from Atlantia.
I'll be naming vessels in the universe in compliance with today's shipping rules which denote that the ships prefix gives it's definition- MV Motor Vessel, ST Steam Tanker, SS Steam Ship, HMS Her Majesty's Ship etc.
Atlantia is actually the E.V Atlantia- E.V Explorer Vessel.
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

forlarren wrote:If the X-Rays do not get you the blasts from the nukes will.
im sorry but i have to say... then whats the point? so your nuke pulse laser missed... well rats because your nukes are going to blow him up anyways? :shock: erm.... im pretty sure if i designed the weapon for such close range, id just use a mirv warhead and dam the lazer... ;)

of course if we're in space and we have to hit that target WAY out there... then sure... by all means laze away :)