making laser sounds

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Klix

making laser sounds

Post by Klix »

does anyone know what program is used to make laser like sounds?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I made a laser sound once by recording myself making a laser sounds with my mouth ("pshhhew!"), and then using Gold Wave to fiddle around with it.

It wasn't that good a final product, though.
Yotto
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Yotto »

In the 'real' world, you can get the sound by whacking the grounding wire from a telephone pole with a wrench. Sounds just like the blasters in Star Wars.
Any decent synthesizer program (IE, anything that will play midi) should have a laser sounding plugin or two. In fact, I own (uninstalled, and not touched in about a decade, and on floppy, so no promises here) a program called Finale that, given a piece of music, will play it in midi, and I think I remember making fun laser music way back then. If it'll help, I'll try to install it tomorrow. This was, at the time, high end software designed for musicians. I dropped about a hundred bucks on it and that was with the student discount.
Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
Yotto

Post by Yotto »

Yotto wrote:Any decent synthesizer program (IE, anything that will play midi) should have a laser sounding plugin or two. In fact, I own (uninstalled, and not touched in about a decade, and on floppy, so no promises here) a program called Finale that, given a piece of music, will play it in midi, and I think I remember making fun laser music way back then. If it'll help, I'll try to install it tomorrow. This was, at the time, high end software designed for musicians. I dropped about a hundred bucks on it and that was with the student discount.
Well, the floppies are MIA, though I do have all the manuals. Sadly, I can't get the manuals to generate a laser like sound. But now I have a mission, to find a synth program, preferably free. I'll keep you posted. I'm on dialup and doing some hefty downloading so it may take a while. I'm going to see if I can find some midi player source code, as well. That way, we could put it in the main program and play all sorts of stuff (Music, lasers, engines, all could be done with midi fairly easily) Is this a dumb idea or would it be useful?
Every Silver Lining has a Cloud