Cargo images

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Cargo images

Post by GoldenGnu »

Her are some images for cargo:

All are from wikipedia.org
let me know what you think..
I'll try to find more if all of you like these, or can tell me what I should be doing deferent.

EDIT:
it was a mess with all the images in one post, i made a little gallery at my site: http://nikr.net/vs/show.html

Ready:
Acids, Advanced Medicines, Aera Nerve Stimulators, Aeres Bane, Alkali Metals, Anti Corrosives, Arkturian Wines, Artificial Organs, Assembly Tools, Atasan Furs, Automated Factories, Biological Weapons, Black Market Organs, Books, Brandy, Bulk Seeds, First Aid Kits, Gold, Lumber, Music, Musical Instruments
11. Feb 2006:
Butane, Catalysts, Cellular Accelerant
12. Feb 2006:
Classical Instruments, Clothing, Computer Fibres, Consoles
Last edited by GoldenGnu on Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Cool! Please post the specific licenses for each image so we know how we can use it.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Great! We really need to keep this going!

Unfortunately I have to put a little rain on the parade.
Concerning the vetting process: could we move the vetting activity to the wiki Development:Cargo graphics page? It might be better suited than a one dimensional forum thread. I added these cargo items to the list.

Comments on the graphics:
There were already original graphics for all of those items but oil by siverrain at the URL http://vegastrike.sf.net/users/silverain/cargo/ (taken from the respective cargo item pages), unfortunately there not showing anymore, is there a chance of retrieving them? There are probably more!
If not, I would take the presented ones from GoldenGnu. Although the first aid kits graphic is not quite what I imagined (rather a box with that symbol on it, or a box with medicine stuff in it) and the oil graphic is maybe not that suited for the VS universe. But, hey, beggars are not choosers.
Gold seems to be very popular, there's the missing one from silverrain, the one in this thread (also from wikipedia) and now yours. :)

Anyways, who has the final word on whether or not an image is to be commited to CVS?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

re the red cross it seem's that the RED CROSS is upset at the use of their logo in games seen this in an newspaper article so maybe useing the staff and snake would be in order.

Enjoy the Choice :)
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

Thanks for the comments. I updated the first post with the licenses
I'll try to find somthing else for oil and the first aid kit. I'm sorry, but i can't operate the wiki. so I'll have to post the images here.

I don't know about the GNU Free Documentation License, and if we can use that in the game?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

We can just drop PD images in. I think GFDL images require the author to be credited so it's important to list the sources of those images.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

Maby someone could explain the process of adding them to the wiki?
So I could do it my self? I don't look like I can upload images there, so should i just link from my own page? It's no problem, but, well, what happens if the page go's down ect. ect.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

What do i need to do to get these images in the game?
How has the final call about adding them or not?
It feels a little like a lost course :?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I've made a cargo images sub-album in the wiki manual gallery, so you can go ahead and upload them there.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

I have been in contact with gnu.org, and asked them if we can use GNU Free Documentation License Images in a GNU General Public License Project. But that is not allowed, if I understand correct

So I guess, only Public domain will do...

Here are the mail i received:
> I found some images on www.wikipedia.org I'd like to use in Vega Strike
> (http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/), that is under the GNU General
> Public License. Many of the images I found are under the GNU Free
> Documentation License, can I use these images in the project, at what
> exactly need to be done to do so?

We think that if you used images like this, your game would be a
derivative work of the images in question. This means you would need to
follow the terms of the GNU FDL for creating modified works.

However, the GNU GPL and FDL are not compatible, so you can't combine
works under their terms -- in your case, your engine and the third-party
images -- like this. I suggest you contact the copyright holders of the
images and ask them for permission to use them under different terms.
In your case, it would probably be best if you could get a license to
use them under the GPL. Any GPL-compatible license, or some kind of
equivalent permission, would be enough for you to do what you want, however.

If you have further questions, let us know. Please note that this is
not legal advice; if you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Sigh... that's just depressing. So much for "free as in speech".

Don't forget the "mere aggregation" clause of the GPL though.. that means that your program doesn't have to be considered a derivative of the data it makes use of (content) just because the content is distributed with the program.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Heh, "derivative work". I always fucking hated that license.

Here's a couple quick snaps to fill in for some of the GNU ones 'til something better comes along. Sadly, I have neither wine nor bulk grain in this part of the house, and I don't recall there being a vodka cargo. They operate under the RPL, which stipulates that they're free for distribution on the condition that GNU sucks my nuts.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Sorry for the delay, but I received some of the yet unsubmited original artwork cargo images from silverain. He also sent me some of his and jackS work on the economy revamp. Many of the cargo items are scheduled to be depecated. The essence is, that most of the cargo section in the wiki and the SVN repositors is not up to date.
However, I don't think that I can revamp the entire economic simulation right now by myself. Instead I'd rather submit all the yet unsubmitted cargo images and fix the master part list to display them. As a second step I propose that we bring the documentation i.e. the wiki up to date. Then we could start lengthy debates over which cargo item is redundant and the like.
I think we should use original for VS made artwork rather than some pictures from the web and, furthermore, find out which images are still needed after the original works are made availlable to everybody. There is no point in submitting the n-th picture for gold.
Any objections?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

That's Ryder's own photography, in the post above, and pretty good IMO; you should grab it. I don't care to get involved in item-specific debates, but I've always been interested in coding of a dynamic economy. I'll need that for my mod. Let me know when you're ready to start brainstorming and designing.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

chuck_starchaser wrote:That's Ryder's own photography, in the post above, and pretty good IMO; you should grab it.
Yes, they are very good. And I know that they are original work as well and qualify therefore equally good for inclusion. But the engine does currently not support many pictures for one cargo item and we're having already many book pictures for example. All I wanted to say is: "let's see what we got before we start putting effort in the creation of new pictures". I'd certainly like to keep them just in case the engine supports many pictures for one item.
chuck_starchaser wrote:Let me know when you're ready to start brainstorming and designing.
You won't miss it, I'm sure :wink:
Last edited by Zeog on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Or, for myself, I'd have more than one book category, like sci-fi books, technical books, fantasy books, educational books, and have the trade volume in the various categories interact with R&D and production rates in the long term. So if you own or control a base, you can pay attention to what you bring to them in terms of reading material, to get the most productivity.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Cargo Images Up

Post by Zeog »

Alright! The more confirmed cargo images (by wiki work and discussion with JackS) by silverrain are commited to the repository. I corrected some path names in the master parts list but didn't have the time to include all of the pics, so most of them still won't show up! But they are there and can now be linked from the wiki.

EDIT: Check out the new arcturian wines
or the all new engineered seeds, for example.
I made a copy of the replaced images for a later use maybe. They are not lost.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Wiki Cargo Section Updated

Post by Zeog »

Large parts of the wiki cargo section is now updated. The database entries now show the SVN cargo pictures, if available. This database was so out of date. I did everything except the ship upgrades, ship weapons and ammo, and passengers. The not classified section also remains unchecked. This area of the cargo section is still subject to reorganization.

To do: Those items, that now have a picture and a description need to be properly inserted into the master parts list.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Hi, is there anywhere we can download the updated cargo images? It would make life so much easier. tnx
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

You can get these images by checking out the SVN package data4.x. However, not all images that are there will show in the game yet.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

A new update for those who don't check out SVN regularly and wonder what has changed.
There are now pictures showing in game for:
- almost all of the upgrade items (reactors, shields, scanners, armor etc.)
- many missle type weapons (swarm, maul, capshipmissle, capiff, ...); others have a placeholder pic (generic missle)
- small, medium and heavy turret
- some guns in the large zoo (Laser01 et al.)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:?: :?: What is SVN? A sorta file repository? How do I use it to downlaod updates :?: :?:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

oblivion SVN is the dev repository you are useing XP right so TortiseSVN is the prefered client check the wiki for more info.

Enjoy the Choice :)
Privateer Ferrius
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Privateer Ferrius »

SVN is Subversion. It's similar to CVS and contains backversions and development versions of the project. You can use TortiseCVS to get a more recent development build than the official release.
Cmdr. Micheal Ferrius (Ret.)
Retired Confederate Pilot

For Hire!
Post jobs to the BBS!

Tengoku de omachi shite imasu
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Got the dev repository meaning. But How? I mean. Is there someplace I can learn how to beta test something? :D I would really like to know what has been added to VS before I start complaining about what hasn't. :) If anyone can teach me how to use the Tortoise-something, please... And yeah I got XP. Why isn't there a link to there from the VS main page?
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,