Some ships I did on my spare time.

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I think Shrike was talking about effectiveness rather than type of weapon.

I for one would suggest that point defense systems be LESS effective than the US Navy's phalanx. I mean, them phalanx's are pretty effective. It wouldn't be much fun if every VS cap ship could knock down any missiles or torpedos fired at it. : )
KleiZwei
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by KleiZwei »

yes the idea is that a ship would be firing more missiles at you then your automated point defence system could shoot down, not to mention only larger ships would have them or at the very least large ships would be the only ones to have more then 1 of them. However being long range weapon with travel times over 10 seconds, a point defence system (especially if is lasers) has plent of time to lock on and destroy the warhead.) Anyways I took the idea from DarkSpace (I really did like that game before it was p2p) their missile cruisers, dreadnaughts and stations all have 1-5 PDSs wich fire down enemy missiles (not just the ones targetting itself).

heres a few notes on how i think it should work
1. No ship should have more then 5 (except for stations)
2. Only large ships should have them, they'll be responcible for protecting smaller ships.
3. The refire should be about 5-8 seconds or longer per beam (you can blame this on the time it takes for the autotracking to find its target, its a beta ;) )
4. some war heads may need more then one shot to be destroyed
theres different missile types (light medium heavy capmissile) in the same order 1, 2, 3, 5, shots or beams to destroy them)
5. Cloaked ships CANNOT use PDS without revealing their location, this implies however that a missile be added that can lock onto cloaked ships.
This isn't the end of the universe, I've been to the end of the universe and trust me, this isn't it!
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

Duality, what resolution did u use on the skyline? I can't seem to get any detail on my textures. Is it the file formats?
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

The texture rasolution was 1024x1024..

Its around 130k in size since I compressed it to .jpg.
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

dandandaman wrote:many people leave untextured or poorly textured ships (we have a fair number of those ones, a couple of them from me....rlaan_cruiser anyone? ;-) ) .........so please, if you are serious about it do it as good as you can, or you end up with lamo rlaan_cruisers :-/ (they weren't so lame when they were jet black, but now that they are white (so you can see them easier) they look fugly)

Dan.a
hey, I just noticed this comment on the rlaan cruiser. Exactly how did they look jet black? I think they look great if u strip the texture, set ambient and diffuse to 0 in the xmesh, and set specular to max. You can see them fine too.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

FlyingAce wrote:hey, I just noticed this comment on the rlaan cruiser. Exactly how did they look jet black? I think they look great if u strip the texture, set ambient and diffuse to 0 in the xmesh, and set specular to max. You can see them fine too.
well...that *was* a long time ago, and I know that a lot of the graphics engine has been improved....but before, unless you were looking at the edge, you couldn't tell how far away from it you were....and it had to take up half of your screen for you to notice it at all :-)

could you send me the modified file so I can take a squiz?

Dan.a
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

KleiZwei wrote: Also I had a new idea for a weapon, auto point defence system wich tracks and shoots down incoming warheads, it should be very accurate, but slow to refire. (a ship could have 2-3 of these.) this would be similar to turrets but they ONLY target warheads... specificly those coming towards you or an allied vessel.
XWA and XvT use 'Flares' to shoot down incoming missiles. Only Fighters are armed with them. They fire as a countermeasure and lock on to the nearest target usually with limited guidance. Quite effective for missiles. They only pack a small punch, but if you let one loose as an enemy flies close past you could get lucky cause a bit of damage or knock the enemy around a little bit, though sometimes if a TF etc is heavily damaged it may destroy it.

Just thought i'd let you know about this if you're looking for ideas