Some ships I did on my spare time.

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Some ships I did on my spare time.

Post by Duality »

http://www.strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/ ... nished.jpg
-
Http://www.strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/ ... nished.jpg
-
The Skyline:
Http://www.strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/ ... nished.jpg

Those set of ships I made belong to a certain type of faction,group, or even a ship manufacturing company.

I havent decided yet.

I'm pretty sure these were from my original idea.
Last edited by Duality on Wed May 07, 2003 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

cool--yes you have a particular style--maybe a style which might fit the Uln... jacks any comments?
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

That's a very cool style you have there with your ships.

Keep 'em going :D

Pontiac
KleiZwei
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by KleiZwei »

Definitely a unique style in there... they do all look like they belong together with this similar hull design...

Anyways here's two pictures of my next model the dreadnaught, the original design belongs to DarkSpace, but mines a little different the first picture is low poly (416) and the second is high poly (1914) I don't know how the game would handle the high poly count, since theres been a lot of mixed words, some people say go high, other say stay low.... I'm all confused!!!

Here's the pics
ImageImage
This isn't the end of the universe, I've been to the end of the universe and trust me, this isn't it!
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Both!!! :-)

Post by dandandaman »

KleiZwei wrote:Anyways here's two pictures of my next model the dreadnaught, the original design belongs to DarkSpace, but mines a little different the first picture is low poly (416) and the second is high poly (1914) I don't know how the game would handle the high poly count, since theres been a lot of mixed words, some people say go high, other say stay low.... I'm all confused!!!
Well, you can use both! :-) LOD meshes (level of detail) allow you to have both meshes, and the game will use the high detail one when you are close, and the low detail one when you are far......this will allow you to have it looking really cool, while allowing people with older vid cards (like me) to play at a decent framerates....:-) Best of both worlds :-)

Of course, it does mean that you have to texture both.....but you should be able to use the same texture?

Dan.a
KleiZwei
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by KleiZwei »

do you all like that model of the dreadnaught... it's my 6th model ever ...
and the first that I'm considering worth submitting to the model gallery...
Texturing it will take ALOT of time since I'm absolutely horrible and making textures.
And then if I decide to go with LOD, then it will take that much longer because I don't think i'd be able to use the same texture for one with almost 5 times as many poly.

Q. Is there a difference between a poly, and a face?

anyways i'll probably submit it with my lame texture and if people don't like it maybe someone who has talent can make a better texture. :)
This isn't the end of the universe, I've been to the end of the universe and trust me, this isn't it!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

that's really spectacular...wish someone could texture it...
the hardest part will be adding weaponds and playbalancing it...make sure you do that so the next poor soul doesn't ahve to
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

KleiZwei wrote:do you all like that model of the dreadnaught... it's my 6th model ever ...
and the first that I'm considering worth submitting to the model gallery...
Texturing it will take ALOT of time since I'm absolutely horrible and making textures.
And then if I decide to go with LOD, then it will take that much longer because I don't think i'd be able to use the same texture for one with almost 5 times as many poly.

anyways i'll probably submit it with my lame texture and if people don't like it maybe someone who has talent can make a better texture. :)
I think it looks great :-)

I'm not completely sure

no! the problem with that is that no-one likes texturing, so many people leave untextured or poorly textured ships (we have a fair number of those ones, a couple of them from me....rlaan_cruiser anyone? ;-) ) .........so please, if you are serious about it do it as good as you can, or you end up with lamo rlaan_cruisers :-/ (they weren't so lame when they were jet black, but now that they are white (so you can see them easier) they look fugly)

Dan.a
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

KleiZwei wrote:...
In Wings i think it means the same.

I also agree with dandandaman. I for myself have made a few good ships, but i'm very poor at texturing, so they will lie around a while until i get over myself and texture them ;-)

Pontiac
KleiZwei
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by KleiZwei »

I'm not looking forward to this UV map .... theres that damned closed surface error again!! ugh!

That texture tutorial hidden somwhere is quite useful though... I might try that.
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

If making the entire ship/capship model smooth, then it would look more alien like.

UV mapping a smooth model would be a lot of hard work compared to the un-smoothed one.

Post by Guest »

Post by Guest »

Duality wrote:...
UV mapping a smooth model would be a lot of hard work compared to the un-smoothed one.
That's mostly true, but not every time.
ie. if you have a existing (low poly) mesh

As you can see the texture-map is still on it's place (new uv data added).

But this will not work if the smoothing removes/adds to much geometry (ie sharp corners)

Pontiac

PS: the Texturing Howto
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

Ok here is my finished version of the ship set style, Skyline:

http://edice.netfirms.com/shipset1.htm
KleiZwei
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by KleiZwei »

wow those textures are really good... (better than mine)
I have a question, how do I make missiles fire in all at once?
can only some missiles be fired together? the reason I ask is I want to fix 4 missile spots on the dreadnaught, and I want the option to use them all together or seperate...

Also I had a new idea for a weapon, auto point defence system wich tracks and shoots down incoming warheads, it should be very accurate, but slow to refire. (a ship could have 2-3 of these.) this would be similar to turrets but they ONLY target warheads... specificly those coming towards you or an allied vessel.
enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by enlightenment »

KleiZwei wrote:And then if I decide to go with LOD, then it will take that much longer because I don't think i'd be able to use the same texture for one with almost 5 times as many poly.
The usual method for LOD texturing is to create the textures once at a resolution high enough to be useful for the full-detail model and then scale down the textures for use on the low-detail models. Note that it's necessary to create UV maps for each mesh but you don't have to draw the textures themselves more than once.
In 3D graphics the terms are interchangable.
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

@Duality
Wow, i LOVE the textures 8)
How did you make those, and which program?
Enlightenment wrote:The usual method for LOD texturing is to create the textures once at a resolution high enough to be useful for the full-detail model and then scale down the textures for use on the low-detail models. Note that it's necessary to create UV maps for each mesh but you don't have to draw the textures themselves more than once.
That's exactly what i wanted to say, but i haven't found the right words to tell it :roll: :D

Pontiac
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

The programs I used to skin was a mix between of Corel Photo Paint(most of the time) and a little bit of Gimp(for the bevels) to skin ships.
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Duality wrote:The programs I used to skin was a mix between of Corel Photo Paint(most of the time) and a little bit of Gimp(for the bevels) to skin ships.
It would be really cool if you make a howto about making such great textures. PLEASE *beg* :D

Pontiac
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

I need to take some time to write out the tutorial for the metal texture... and I can even provide the premade textures I did too..
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Duality wrote:I need to take some time to write out the tutorial for the metal texture... and I can even provide the premade textures I did too..
You're da man Duality 8)

Pontiac

PS: Added a point "VsHowtoMakeTextureMaps" to the howto-wiki-page
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

The texture tutorial is here:
http://edice.netfirms.com/tuts/texturetut.htm

I hope you can understand this simple tutorial.
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

That's a first class howto.
Many thanks to you.

Pontiac
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

KleiZwei wrote:Also I had a new idea for a weapon, auto point defence system wich tracks and shoots down incoming warheads, it should be very accurate, but slow to refire. (a ship could have 2-3 of these.) this would be similar to turrets but they ONLY target warheads... specificly those coming towards you or an allied vessel.
The first thing I think of is that if they are slow to refire, and there are 3 of them, you want to make sure they don't all fire at once, otherwise if there are 3 incoming warheads, you will only nail the first one and the other two will nail you.

Point defense is a good idea, but I would think that it should be at least as capable as the USN's Phalanx system:

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/fac ... -phal.html
enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by enlightenment »

Shrike wrote:Point defense is a good idea, but I would think that it should be at least as capable as the USN's Phalanx system:
At least. ;) Phalanx is basically obsolete as it's useless against modern missile threats. The USN will be deploying directed energy (laser/maser/particle beam) CIWS in a decade or two anyway, so VS might as well take the cue and go the route of beam weaponry rather than use some type of neo gattling gun.