A new ship(perhaps a chassias WIP).

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

A new ship(perhaps a chassias WIP).

Post by Paslowo »

Heres te first one:

I won't know if it's worth smoothing to get a lot more polies. Mainly because there a lot of meth details to the ship itseldf. A lot of beveled edges equaling it up to 577 polies.

I will be having a hard time UV Mapping this dude if I happen to use Wings3D with it.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Is it some kind of mini-carrier? What's the wide slot at the front?
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

Thats just the mesh design on the front part.

It is supposed to be a lightfighter.

The two other holes are the missile ports.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

It doesn't look much like a fighter. Maybe a very crude bomber, but there's just something in my head that goes 'fighters are pointy'.

Anyway. It's very, very square. You need to at least chamfer the primary edges. It could be a pretty cool design with some refinement, the blockiness can work toward its advantage, but it doesn't work when the ship is so totally square.

...Actually, at first I thought the long front panel was the cockpit. I see how you're laying it out now. Hm. Maybe the front part should be the cockpit. Set it on its side, gun-fin-bit facing down, have the cockpit be standup, it'd look pretty cool. You'd still have some mass-distribution problems, and something would still need to be done to take the squariness off, but I think that'd be better personally.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

I'll try my best to add some more mesh details to the ship model instead of flat edges really.

It's a light fighter(and yes the round thing behind the 4 lines is the cockpit btw), and it's got a simple design.

The problem with the model is, if I try to make it less square like, it will have some polygonal destortion with it.

The more sophisticated ships besides this one will look a little more comples than blocky.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Then fix the mesh.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Hmmm, I rather like it... seems kind of cheap yet powerfull... maybe an ISO ship?

I also agree that it doesent look like a light fighter though... maybe some kind of bomber or assault ship?
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

Thanks for the criticism comments.

I actually do have a simple 2D concept of what the shape of the space vessels look like(there are 4 of them) should look like, cockpits are supposed to be off-centered and I am pretty much sticking to it. But the scanner is broken so I cannot show.

It's going to be a very long time before these models and sets actually get complete.
Anyway. It's very, very square. You need to at least chamfer the primary edges.
Got it. After running a google image search for that word.

I will chamfer the front and back of the model but now the sideway part of it.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Another word for it is 'bevel', though 'chamfer' evokes an image of big bevel in my head, but I could be wrong.