Beautiful spaceship interior

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

zoozo
Explorer
Explorer

Beautiful spaceship interior

Post by zoozo »

There are beautiful stylish spaceship interior pictures at wcnews. There're made for wc pioneer. I hope the artist'll allow to use it in VS too.

http://download.wcnews.com/files/fans/p ... camel1.mov
http://download.wcnews.com/files/fans/p ... camel2.mov
http://www.wcnews.com/cgi-bin/searchnew ... WC+Pioneer
If walkable spaceships'll be a possibility (by Ogre) it'd be nice to see such nice spaceship interior in VS.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Eh; far and away the nicest thing he did was the woodgrain texture, and that's easy enough to duplicate. In fact, most of the others texes are way too low-res for what he's doing, and the geometry itself is very simple if not terribly efficient. And a lot of the attractiveness can be chalked up to the high-quality renderer's ability to handle lighting; an actual ingame version would look pretty lame by comparison. It's all basic enough, we could make ones like that if we were willing to spend the resources on something so frivolous.

Stylistically, it's a great interior for the luxury craft it was intended for, I'm not so sure it'd carry over well to the mostly utilitarian spacecraft of Vega Strike.

It is laid out pretty nicely, though, that's definitely something. Maybe if someone makes a really good blueprint of a cockpit, like, one that really works well with the realities of 3D modeling and efficiently compresses maximal effect into minimal resource footprint, the Polygon Fairy will come along and leave something under your pillow.
zoozo
Explorer
Explorer

Post by zoozo »

(Sorry for dual posting)
Last edited by zoozo on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoozo
Explorer
Explorer

Post by zoozo »

I think to make it reality is depend on:
- the rendering engine
- the calculating capabilities of the computer hardware that runs the VS

Ogre as rendering engine has the ability to handle hi polygon hi res modelt, lighting etc. Ogre is used for several fps games too.

The capability of hardware is a problem now. But in the near future they'll grow up greatly. Just loot at the spec of the upcoming PS3. And that will affect PC hardwares too.
Ogre port of VS still needs several months if not year to be finished. By that time that hardware will be general.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Ryder P. Moses wrote:And a lot of the attractiveness can be chalked up to the high-quality renderer's ability to handle lighting; an actual ingame version would look pretty lame by comparison.
Very true, unless they've come up with some truly original technique to make those floor lights reflect realistically off surfaces near them as you walk around, that can only be a raytracing job.
Stylistically, it's a great interior for the luxury craft it was intended for, I'm not so sure it'd carry over well to the mostly utilitarian spacecraft of Vega Strike.
I've seen a utilitarian interior from Pioneer also; this IS some kind of luxury ship, probably.
It is laid out pretty nicely, though, that's definitely something. Maybe if someone makes a really good blueprint of a cockpit, like, one that really works well with the realities of 3D modeling and efficiently compresses maximal effect into minimal resource footprint, the Polygon Fairy will come along and leave something under your pillow.
Yey! Me thinks ship interiors for smaller ships would be VERY crowded with equipment and hard to get around, not so clean looking and spacious. I could try and come up with a sketch, but I'm wondering what mod this will be for; there should be no distinguishable up or down for realistic mods without artificial gravity; and the doors should be pressure locks, rather than sliders. "Glass" windows skould be pretty thick.
Unlike the ISS, though, where there's tons of crap all over the place just tied with string, if ships can accelerate at more than a fraction of a G, I suppose the solution is as simple as filling the walls up with storage partitions and High-G Bun-G gords.
I suppose we could put a piloting station in every room, as the idea would be that, should there be depressurizations, as long as there's one room left that doesn't leak, the pilot can move there to survive, and can still bring the ship to a station, provided it has any usable propulsion left.
I suppose most of the rooms would be built around ship functions, like engine room, reactor room, computers and comm equipment room...
Gotta think about what equipment would be commonly found on walls, common to all rooms; say a VDU and keypad for ship status and diagnostics? Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Submarines might be a good place to start for possible layouts; take those as what a small military vessel could look like from the interior (although a zero-g situation would yield something halfway between the ISS and a submarine.)

Civilian vessels could then be derived from the military setup.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Or just, you know, the Space Shuttle and Mir.
Pretty similar to a sub, really, come to think of it.

There'd be a few practical tweaks for rapid spaceflight- not so many open consoles, mostly a lot of closed equipment cabinets and panels with relevant display screens up (you don't want ballisticating crap to thwack into a button and make something unfortunate happen), everything padded, no sharp corners. Some random crap sticking out here and there, but mostly everything secured, both for safety reasons and because bunches of wires and stuff can't really be handled well in a limited-resource context.
If it's intended to be a one-crewman job (presumably most of the ships are), maybe one fancy captain's chair on a rail so that the pilot can maneuver around the cockpit and access all sorts of different controls and such while remaining safely strapped in. One-person ships might also be one-room ships too, mind, with kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom all contained within the cockpit, and a hatch to the cargo bay and reactor room (which you really don't want to have be in your living space, after all) on one wall or the "ceiling". On the real cheapo ships, the cockpits might not even be a real room in their own right, just a little extension of the cargo bay above or to one side separated by a clear plastic partition or some of that heavy nylon netting. Of course, then you run into your pressurization problem, but hey, caveat emptor.

Given that there's no particularly strong advantage to any one shape in such small rooms, they'd probably be rectangular out of sheer tradition, although they might be warped to conform with the shape of the hull. Larger rooms- barracks on capital ships or multi-crewman control rooms- would probably be squat and cylindrical or semitoroidal, harnessing coriolis effect as a cheap form of artificial gravity. Cargo bays would be pretty self-explanatory, probably stacked so high with traincars or Generic Crates that the ship itself is largely obscured, except maybe a set of huge doors taking up the entirety of one wall. Equipment rooms like reactor controls would necessarily depend heavily on what kind of power plant was involved, and since that has yet to be dealt with far as I remember so never mind those. For starters, though, let's just try a small one-person cockpit for a transport or somesuch.

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3ad.html
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Nice link. I'd say the space shuttle

... is our safest bet. Nothing else we have pictures of is both a zero-gravity quarters AND a cockpit AND is designed to take high G's. As for controls, a smooth surface for info display, plus places for the hands and fingers; and for curson control, the eyes will do.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

I think it will not be very possible to do a walk arond in a starfighter like ship as if you were in a seat all the time.

I would be very happy to have my own cockpit interior for my ships to be in Vegastrike.
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

don't forget in all this tho, luxury liners (which that looks kinda like) and military ships will be way different. For a start, I highly doubt most spaceships will ever enter atmo - that would probably be reserved for space elevators and shuttles. Plus, the VS universe _has_ artificial gravity. In reality, I think one of the closest things you could think of to a classy spacecraft would be a luxury yaught in today's world, or a cruise liner. And then when you realise there is a lot more freedom in the engineering due to the control of gravity in the future, you could basically do anything.

I think that those pics have a lot of potential, low textures and all. They already exceed any ship interiors we have, and with a bit more work they could be absolutely awesome.

OT a bit... but I think people in general on this forum need to start doing a bit of work on things they critisize... this forum is about 95% critisizing by people who aren't working on something, and 5% people putting in hard work on a project. It would be great to see more participation or less "It would be better like this".
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Ship Interior

Post by Accu-Accelerated »

Performance, of course, is an issue if you want to be able to walk around inside a ship. But even if this interior was simply a static, pre-rendered image (like the bases currently in VS), it would still be nice and it would add to the game.
zoozo
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Ship Interior

Post by zoozo »

Accu-Accelerated wrote:Performance, of course, is an issue if you want to be able to walk around inside a ship. But even if this interior was simply a static, pre-rendered image (like the bases currently in VS), it would still be nice and it would add to the game.
The performance won't be an issue, in 9 months. Just look at the specs of the PS3. It'll be cheap so it will be general. So why not?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Accu-Accelerated »

It's definitley possible to implement this type of cockpit in VS. I'd actually love to see one, and I'm not saying that it isn't possible because of performance.

But in case there are any problems implementing it, or there are worries about performance, I'm just pointing out that it could be used as a static image, and it would still be really cool.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I'm not sure how good the cell is at raytracing complex scenes with only 256 kilobytes of very fast memory (the rest of the memory must be manually retrieved)
though perhaps that will change with some ingenuity
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

zaydana wrote: OT a bit... but I think people in general on this forum need to start doing a bit of work on things they critisize... this forum is about 95% critisizing by people who aren't working on something, and 5% people putting in hard work on a project. It would be great to see more participation or less "It would be better like this".
Agreed. That cockpit is actually the work of Howard Day, a profesional modeler who is employed in the games industry and also happened to do most of the ship models in VS. I've seen his work and I must say that he has an amazing ability to create seemingly high polygon models that a have seemingly impossible low poly count. If Howie made that model, you can bet your socks that it's ok to use as a game model.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Ryder P. Moses wrote:And a lot of the attractiveness can be chalked up to the high-quality renderer's ability to handle lighting; an actual ingame version would look pretty lame by comparison.
Actually, look at the shots, there is noticable ailiasing. I don't think that's a render, or at least not a high quality one.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

...Oh reeeeeally?

Antialiasing is a filter applied over an image after the fact. A fancy blur filter, basically. It doesn't have to be there. And it doesn't have to be good- he didn't even disable the sampler, he just chose a fairly weak antialiasing filter, presumably to keep his textures crisp. It worked, since the render looks pretty good unless you're paying really close attention.

Doesn't really matter anyway, 'cept that it's worth keeping in mind that that kind of lighting can't be achieved in VS so don't hang any plans on it.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Ryder P. Moses wrote:Doesn't really matter anyway, 'cept that it's worth keeping in mind that that kind of lighting can't be achieved in VS so don't hang any plans on it.
Those blue light thingies and radiosity could be baked into the textures..., couldn't they?
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Depends how much you wanna be moving around. If you want a static set where nothing (including the player) moves and external lighting doesn't interact... yes. It's possible, although I'd still like to keep the excessive lighting to a minimum since it's not something I'm particularly well-versed in.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Come to think of it, this could be an in-game pic if those blue highlights are baked radiosity; and we know that Howard uses baked radiosity with everything. What I don't understand is the reflections of the lights along the bottom of the wall to the right, on the leather panels. They look like straks. If they ARE baked in like that, they'd look very unnatural when you walk around.

R.e.: Aliasing. Both rendered and real time images can have antialiasing (my videocard does up to 4x4 well), but in both cases you have to set it up, so aliasing, or the lack of it, is the last telltale sign to look at, to distinguish between the two. Pretty much the only way to tell, these days, is by looking at the quality of the shadows, but they have to be dynamic shadows, because static ones are already baked in by the radiosity trick. So, there's really no way to know, methinks.
Howard Day
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Howard Day »

Hello! Let me answer some questions for you gents about this particular cockpit.
1: You're seeing just one baked-in map on this model. What you're looking at there is a Glow map. This is pretty much all the ambient cockpit lighting - it doesn't change. The Final model has 4. In addition to the glow map there are: a diffuse color map, spec map, and normal map. All these are there to make the light coming in from outside interact in a reasonable manner.
2: The map sizes are 2Kx2K.
3: You can't get up and walk around. Move your head around, yes - see your body, yes. Move around? No, not at this point.
4:This mesh has a polycount of under 8K. With all the aded control yokes and such, it'll probably jump up to 9.5K
5:We consider this to be a very important graphical effect. There's no hud-only display type in this game. Therefore, we are justified in makeing the detailed ship cockpits by the fact that you see them all the time. They never go away, and any visiblity problems can not be skipped.
6: The game engine does support in-game AA. As well as HDR, Soft Shadows, and Motion Blur. What you're looking at here, though is indeed a render. It will no look much different in-game. Possibly better, guven that you'll have an external lightsource.

Hope this has helped clear things up.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Hey, Howard! Thanks for clearing the mystery. Just curius... Why four glow maps? Looks very nice by the way. I got inspired to work on a ship interior, myself; see my other thread --small cargo ship.
Howard Day
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Howard Day »

Heh, not four glow maps, four maps total. The one you're looking at on that model is just the glow map. There are the three other types of map (clor, spec, normal) but these are intended soley to make the light from guns/explosions/suns look realistic.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Howard: impressive work.

Don't underestimate the dynamicity of interior lighting, though. It could be a very impressive effect if, when damaged, lights flickered and stuff like that. That would definitely need dynamic lighting, rather than baked lightmaps - or at least, switchable lightmaps. Just a though.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

No it wouldn't. You just create an animated glow texture and write a script that tells the game to use the animated texture rather than the static one when X is happening. You'd have to write the script for the lighting, too, so if anything it'd be even easier.

The tricky part is making the lightmaps look good in the first place. Which'd be somewhat easier with everything static, so it might be doable.