[changed title] Mule interiors

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

CoD

Post by CoD »

I'm still working on it :(

Sorry for all this time but... I'm having serious problems with my pc and I'm trying to fix 'em.

I'm planning to transfer all mule interiors from The Gimp to Inkscape (a vectorial graphic program) so it will be easy to zoom in and out, getting dimensions of elements, ecc... ;)

Unfortunately my operating system does not support Inkscape by now and... ehm... while I was on Easter holidays I though "well I've a couple of days without work... let's format some partitions and upgrade the system"....

... now I haven't an operating system :?

As soon as I'll fix it, I'll finish the mule interiors work. I promise you ;)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Good Luck. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
CoD

Post by CoD »

Finally I managed to resolve my problems and I'm finishing the mule interiors.

I'm creating the complete map as an svg file with layers.
I used inkscape, but I think that any vectorial program capable of supporting multiple layers should be able to open this file.

I'll also create some very big png images for thos who don't have a vector graphic program and don't want to install inkscape, but they'll be very big and heavy, so I suggest you to try installing inkscape (it's free and open source)
CoD

Post by CoD »

Finally I made it! :D

I completed the Mule Interiors Chart (version 1.0): 7 decks, docks and mount point placed following in game screenshots and lot of rooms designed following both logic and real big ship interior plans.

Furnitures are placed just to let you imagine these rooms: I let many rooms empty because if you'd like to make 3d rendered images of these rooms you should be free to decide how they should look.

Making this chart was very hard, but now I have a good experience in planning rooms and a big symbol library, so if you like this chart expect some others :wink:

The file is in Inkscape format (SVG vectorial graphic)
I suggest you to install Inkscape ( http://www.inkscape.org/ ) or another vectorial, multiple levels, drawing software.

The file is here: http://www.cod.altervista.org/_altervis ... e/mule.zip just 115,7 Kb

Let me know what do you think

:D
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Hmmm, all I see in inkscape is a very pixelated image with a red cross and "broken image" on it overlaid with the grey shapes of the mule hull...
Would you mind exporting it to say .png?
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Nah, CoD can't export this to .png w/o losing the layers. It's quite interesting what he's done here. On the bottom of the inkscapeGUI there's a list for the different layers. By default most layers are invisible...

As said it's quite interesting, but I honestly have no idea what this aims for?! The grey shapes of the Mule hull are way too pixelated. You can do much better with vector-based gfx. And all in all this idea might be some kinda more interesting when being implemented in a webpage - via flash or java for example.
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

rockstar i believe this was to be a guide for modeling the interior of the Mule which will be possiable with OGRE. that i wonder if we can import this file into blender with it's inport paths SVG function which would be a great time saver 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
CoD

Post by CoD »

Well I should explain a bit how I did the work.

In the Image layer you'll find the 3 images of the mule. These images are pixelated because they are not vectorial: I took these images from wings 3d in order to create the grey shape of the mule in layer Volumes.

These images are not embedded in the svg but only linked, so you need to extract ALL the files in a folder and then open the svg: you should now see the Image layer with the pixelated original image of the mule and then the layer Volumes with grey shapes of the mule interiors.

Now: you can toggle the visiblity of each layer using the layer list at the bottom of inkscape and, if you need a grid, you can toggle it by pressing #
Grid should be correctly set at 0,50 mm with mayor line each 4 lines.
Test it looking at the chart legend: coloured squares should be 4 grid squares wide (i.e. 2 m)

If you unlock a level you can select each room and then read its dimensions in the top toolbar.
Set it to millimeters and read it as they were meters. For example: the tactical room (deck 2, point B) is 4,750 x 4,750 mm wide, i.e. 4,750 meters in real world.

As loki1950 said this is just a guide to interior design, because I'm not good in 3d modeling but I'd like to do my part.
In this thread I discussed with klauss and chuck_starchaser about modelling ship interiors and I said I would provided a project for this work.
So: this file was intended to help 3d modelers in creating mule interiors without having to do all the work to make these room realistic.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

DLd Inkscape. Will see how it looks like. May even take a shot at modelling the rooms.

And thank you, this would also help a lot in the artstyles I'm working on.

:D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
CoD

Post by CoD »

If you have problems with anything (inkscape, my file, dishwasher) just let me know :D

I'm going to design a completely new big cartgo ship, starting with the chart.
This ship will come in 2 different versions: cargo ship and military vessel.

I'll post a rough sketch of this ship as soon as I'll return home after work :wink:
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Looks sweet :-D Nice work!

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Seen it. Played with it. Looks great. ;)

I have some problems tho..

..you see my dishwasher got this thing about ... lol :lol: joke
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
CoD

Post by CoD »

Oblivion wrote:..you see my dishwasher got this thing about ... lol :lol: joke