Hello everyone!

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

had the same problem and found out that you must perform a select-all in uv-select mode before unwrapping.
after this in the uv-window you will be able to see every mesh unwrapped and messed up in variuos position.
ok for grabbing and scaling (the usual g and s keys).
pay attention to rotating unwrapped meshes, since 90% of the time you lose the right xyz model reference (and get distorted textures).

thank you very much for your PM, you are very kind and I won't upload much (and I will zip it first), unless I will find some other space on the internet.

another thing... do you know a fast way to strip a model to reduce it's polycount (as to LOD it?) in blender of course?
"Eppur si muove ..."
(Galileo Galilei just after abjuring to the Inquisition)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Great! Thanks, I'll try that.

I don't personally know any tools to reduce poly count automatically, though I've heard that they exist (though I have NOT heard of them existing as Blender scripts, though I don't discount the possibility); but I've also heard that those tools that do exist don't work very well. I think the best way to tackle the LOD problem is the way Brad Mick, my modelling coach for a little while, advised to me: Paraphrasing: Build the model out of simple primitives, refine until it looks low poly but accurate, save that for the lower LOD, then keep going adding detail.

EDIT: If, as I fear, you end up working on this reduction manually, there's a trick to merging vertexes on a mesh. Suppose for simplicity you got a fairly flat mesh, like a grid, but while there's more curvature on the left side, there's less curvature on the right. Your first reaction might be to try and select pairs of vertexes along a vertical line, and all vertical lines to the right, and merge them. That tends to not look well with smooth shading, though. Instead, merging sets of 3 vertexes at a time, and skipping one, another 3 merged, skipping one, and so on, works a lot better.

Here's an example:

Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

If I'm not mistaken, OGRE has an algorithm for generating lower LODs. It's probably better to have a handcrafted one, though, like you said.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

And come to think of it, probably the best way is to move the original to another layer, and start with new primitives, rather than try to play with the top mesh. I think it would be a lot less work; but then again I don't even know what kind of model it is. But it should be fairly easy to do a low LOD from scratch, having the top LOD only a click away.