MHC-Wolfspider

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Tarran
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

MHC-Wolfspider

Post by Tarran »

This is a medium hunter class ship.. two shield facings..hasn't been skinned..

what I'm really looking for are suggestions/critique

I haven't gone heavily into reducing the count yet, as there are maybe a few more things I want to add, or modify
Do you hear, that whisper, calling unto you
O'childe of the shore
As have your brethern before you
beckoning, to sail to those distant lands
Come
embrace me, your mistress
Upon the coldest sea
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

I like the central body, but the wings... something just doesn't strike right.

As JackS (and others) have discussed in previous threads, wings are necessary for only two reasons: as support for weapon/item mounts, and/or for aerodynamic atmospheric flight.

You haven't (yet) noted if the wings support weapon mounts (e.g. missiles etc). If they do, should we display mount points?

If the wings are for aerodynamic reasons, then the design strikes me as unbalanced. Please note, I am not an expert on aerodynamics, so could someone who does know please confirm whether or not this design would work for atmospheric flight?

Another point, I think you will need to remove the four weapon points, as VS design uses weapon points to attach the selected weapons (see model design in the wiki for details). As a design feature, I like that they are fairly central, but at least one side bank of weapons will always strike your target.

Is that an airlock rear left of centre?
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
Tarran
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Tarran »

You haven't (yet) noted if the wings support weapon mounts (e.g. missiles etc). If they do, should we display mount points?
the wings will likely be shortened and missle mounts added there (I had some someplace else on there, but it didn't look right so I replaced them)

I think for flight, Its the lack of tail fins or thier like that may make it look off.

-=added on=-
upon looking it over again.. it may be the length of wings that look off as well.. as the body is rather squat..

I hadn't actually thought about the wings part, but I did know some things were missing or askewer on it. what I had been doing up until this point was using the item list (the catagories you buy from) as list of details to add to the ship.
Another point, I think you will need to remove the four weapon points, as VS design uses weapon points to attach the selected weapons (see model design in the wiki for details). As a design feature, I like that they are fairly central, but at least one side bank of weapons will always strike your target.
hmm.. the general outline for the wings section in the wiki appears to have its weapons still there.. that could be an error on my perception however.
Is that an airlock rear left of centre?
yep.. thought about fattening the airlock walls section and adding a second wall that was thinner (on top of it, or heading z, however you wish to think of it) and with some extra building and the map, trying to make it appear as one that extended out.
O'childe of the shore
Come
Upon the coldest sea
Tarran
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

variations

Post by Tarran »

here are some variations on the wings

Atmospheric variant

stubby wings variant

fins varient
O'childe of the shore
Come
Upon the coldest sea
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

This is a ship type that I could see being very good spinning around its Y axis.

I like the latter look with the small fins.

Recommend checking with JackS and the wiki as to what potential ship type this could be, might give some extra hints on additional features - I'd like to see this ingame.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Fins is the best one so far.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Very groovy. And done in Wings, too, that's crazy.

The profile looks a little bit blocky, something that could be fixed by rounding out and increasing the tapering on the back portion and making the four primary weapons more irregular (especially the conical portions they're mounted on), but it's a very nice ship overall.

I really like the sattelite dish bit.
Tarran
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

skinned

Post by Tarran »

skinned

O'childe of the shore
Come