A trader ship WIP..

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

A trader ship WIP..

Post by Paslowo »

Called the potkin.

http://edice.arvixe.com/images/potkinwip1.jpg
http://edice.arvixe.com/images/potkinwip2.jpg

Mainly it's purpose is to be a light trader ship, low menuverability, cheap, average speed, plenty of cargo space, and armed with 2 small guns ports.

p.s. I was unable to retreive my old forum account because there were some problems trying to get mail associated with the old account so I decided to make a new one. And yeah the bulk was empty too when I checked it.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Interesting concept. You know, the first thing it occurred to me is this is the equivalent of the front part, cabin and engine, of a Mac truck. I'd imagine having various types of containers that attach to the back of it as a sub-unit. Without them, I'd expect this ship to have pretty good maneuverability, as, unlike long ships, it would have a relatively low moment of inertia.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

might make a good shipyard tug change the guns to heavy tractors no need for speed.

Enjoy the Choice :)
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

The subobjects thing would be really cool with detachable subs.

Without 'em... doesn't look like much of any room for cargo space, really. Could be like a low-budget civilian personal transport, though.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

Okay I got the dude UV mapped and everything else. One last thing I need to do is, find a way on how to make the hull texture look near professional or something like that.

The tutorials on the wiki which I took a look at are pretty much old and looked at a few times. So pretty much I was wondering if theres any new hull/metal tutorials thats related to sci-fi you guys want to point out to me.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Google is your friend.

However, you're not going to get very far without a photo or photorealistic base to work off of- being able to hand-draw realistic texes from scratch is well beyond the abilities of the average dude. For that... well, there's the archives of games you own, photos, online image searches...
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

I've tried google but I havent got any good matches or just same old matches.

I am very patient so it doesn't have to be instant art. I'm not asking for photo-realistc in anyways. I'm still looking into it. Last time I played around with the skinning with the hull texture, looked like crap unfortunitly. :(
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

The traditional way of getting a brushed metal look is to fill a blank image with gaussian noise and then motion-blur it. Myself, I like adding titanium-like rust (patchy, multicolored, but very subtle). I do this by filling a blank image with RGB independent gaussian noise and bluring the crap out of it. (I learnt that from CoffeeBot, for the record.) You could combine, then, brushed metal with titanium rust. Then, on yet another layer you can trace the quad lines in the geometry and bump-map them statically with Gimp, or truly, if you're willing to wait for the Ogre backend with bumpmapping. You could then add white dots onto the specular map to look like shiny metal rivets. And so on, like fudged dirt marks or wind marks (they should be on a separate layer so you can use them to negate specularity where there's marks). And last but not least, a radiosity baking will add tons of realism. Pretty much mandatory from now on, I'd say. There's a tutorial on radiosity baking, by tiny paintings, in the wiki:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... in_Blender

By all means you should come up with a style of your own, but I was trying to point out that if you add many layers of stuff it will sort of come together well.
You probably want to work at 2k by 2k, or even 4k by 4k, with all the layering and stuff, and at the very end save a resized image, to say 1k by 1k. You'll lose some detail, but by the same token it will help hide some details. Pretty tough to work at the final resolution, where the color of a single pixel can make or break.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

I was actually wondering if it would be ok to use one of the random dingbat text from one of the fonts and use it as one of the logos for a mini faction/corp in vegastrike.

Excluding the dingbats fonts that has copyrighted non-fictional corperated logos(like CNN, McDonalds, etc).

I know it may sound a but unoriginal or lazy but I just havent gotten the hand of 2D vector art yet.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Who needs vector art? I've been using it lately, but I always used to just sketch'n'scan logos.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

About this ship again, it has the ability to carry 2 extra passengers on the cockpit part of the ship.

So in multiplayer, you can invite a friend of yours to take a ride on that thing.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Mount some turrets on it and it will be a Purist fighter, maybe. I read that purist ships should resemble "trucks with gunmounts". Please don't hate me :P
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Trucks for cargo ships maybe. I kind of think of purist shipstyle as somewhere along the lines of the NASA space shuttle design. Or the HS Pacifier (Puma). That's just my own conception. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...