Model Dump

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

I'm good at finding things. And what I can't find, I can make.

IIRC, the graffiti is from LA and South Africa, with some of the tags on the cockpit coming from outside my apartment.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

The interior wall-city's done, far as I'm concerned. There's some things that could use thinging, but at this point the returns for any further effort will get exponentially less and it's just a detail anyway. Should have been done a hell of a lot sooner, I did 99% of the work and then put the last minute off for weeks.

Next step is the landing pad, another texture bit, and one that's giving me a pain already before I've even started drawing it. Got lucky with the wall texture in that I had a preexisting tex I could modify into something usable, here I'm working from scratch and as such keep running out of ideas.

After this, I'm thinking of starting on a modular station parts set. I saw from a quick search of the forum that this idea's been kicked around a few times and that there's been offers to code it if someone builds it. Everyone on the entire fucking planet's done a MIR/ISS-based linked-tube station, so I'd rather do something more inventive at least for starters. And no aliens. Aliens suck, and are no fun.

Each component is going to be fairly simple in itself- maybe a thousand polys, and simple to texture- I want 'em relatively quick and simple to make, having enough parts for each station to be distinct from every other and for stations to get potentially pretty damn large without starting to look dull and samey is paramount.

Within those parameters, anybody got any ideas for a design style? I'd like something reasonably varied, but with generic parts that can be duplicated ad nauseam without breaking suspension of disbelief- unlike, say, the asteroid stations.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

This is the most comprehensive info site I found for the ISS:
http://www.ik1sld.org/iss.htm
Not for the value of the shapes (tubes) but for the list of functions served by various modules. Starting from a list of needed functions is probably the best way to go.
The links on the left of the page go one to each functional module, and have detailed schematics with labels for the different sub-modules. So you could even put together a hyerarchical function list. Not that you need to follow it, but for inspiration, I mean.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

A kinda ugly prototype of a station module. Most won't have such a strong vertical profile- they'll either follow the equilateral pyramidial design or be radial- this is just the first layout that came to mind.

The pyramidial volumes allow for a denser overall structure and a more complex, organic feel than a cubic one with six connection points would. Since they're all the same size and the connectors interlock perfectly, they allow a station of any size to be constructed. Ideally, the unused connection points will serve as dockpoints ingame, meaning that any layout is possible too- though some will be more desirable than others, naturally, as different structures will have different armor values and there'll be defensive modules and whatnot.

egore911
Explorer
Explorer

Post by egore911 »

2 ships I modeled today:

Heavyly inspired by Jumpgate
egore911
Explorer
Explorer

Post by egore911 »

And another one:

Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Nice shapes, these would make clean LODs. You're off to a good start- although you might want to make a thread of your own, this is kind of Ryder's thread.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Finally, an hour to meself.

...Aaaand I waste it bashing away at the Ugly Pirate Fighter Thing. Just because, y'know. It irritates me.

I have like half a skinning tutorial put together over the process of making this thing that might see the light someday. Problem is, turns out tutorials ain't so helpful in the generalities and explaining the specific way in which I did one model would be really great so long as anyone reading it was only doing that exact same model. Oh, ugly pirate ship, I'll find a use for you someday.

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Man, that's a gorgeous skin job; love those contrasting specularities.
But that's a Gipsy ship, my friend; not a pirate one ;-) Now, what's with the absence of a gypsy faction in VS?
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Well I've got like 300 texture-shots of graffiti now, had to do something with 'em.

And yeah, space gypsies would be awesome. Space skater punks? Space hobos!
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:roll: It's funny. I also mentioned Space Gypsies for consideration as new factions to jackS. :oops: But, really, there shouldn't be any hint racial mockery in VS.

The models are great, ryder. Just found this thread today. :) If they could only implement different textures for ships of different factions... So far, I hadn't noticed logos or anything on ship sides.

The pirate ships could be used in pirate bases or something. :) They look like surface vehicles (hover?). They remind me of the reavers (that's the spelling right?) in Serenity. :)

I'm looking forward to developing art for the Pirate faction... :wink: Space Punks. hehe
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
DualJoe
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by DualJoe »

Those pirate-ships are looking great.
Brings back memories of my favorite space-sim I-War.
Come to think of it, maybe that runs in WINE now with a nice glide-wrapper.