Kirk is back!

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Jack Cloudy
Explorer
Explorer

Kirk is back!

Post by Jack Cloudy »

Nah, just kidding. The ship you see in the pics is the USS Dawn. I’m working on an attempt to recreate the Constitution. Here’s what I have right now. The details are still a pain, but I’m working on it. The bad part is I’m still an amateur, so it will take ages to get things right. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should change? Just thought I would show it off anyway. If it wasn’t for Vegastrike, I would never have started modelling, and I really like what you've made, makes me jealous :D .
The pictures speak for themselves. I’ve got a top view, front view and side view.
,,That was the worst and most boring movie I’ve ever seen. Lousy special effects.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Looking good. I would double or quadruple the steps in generating the main round part; looks too polygonal at 16. The other sections, being cylindrical, will be fixed by the smooth shading; but the main body... I'd give it 64 steps; and maybe reduce the number of radial points if necessary to keep poly count under control.
BradMick
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by BradMick »

whoa.....64? 128 tris + the caps...another 128. 24 would be the way to go.
LightWave nerd extrodanaire...

"Who need drugs when you got Brad? He's a trip enough already!' - stoner friend of mine...
Jack Cloudy
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Jack Cloudy »

Thanks. Regarding the steps, you do that with the smoothing tool, right?
I'll also need to do something about the undercut near the hangar, it's too straight and needs to be a bit more rounded. A bigger bridge module, and it'll look a whole lot better. I'll see what I can do.
,,That was the worst and most boring movie I’ve ever seen. Lousy special effects.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Okay, here's an idea that might be more palatable to Brad:
Use 24 steps for most of the main disk, then 48 steps for the outermost rim. The two just overlapping; no welding.

If you're using Blender, there's a Spin function. Read this tutorial:
http://free.hostdepartment.com/B/Blende ... index.html
Jack Cloudy
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Jack Cloudy »

Ok, I've made the following changes.
1: I selected the edge of the saucer and applied some smoothing, cutting up each face in four smaller ones. The results is much rounder.
2: The Bridge module has been enlarged a bit, making it more visible.
3: The warp nacelles have been moved up and a bit to the back, so they are now actually above the saucer.
4: The undercut near the hangar has received some scaling and a bit of extruding, making it a bit rounder.
5: the cilinders making up the body underneath the saucer have been smoothed also, after that I had to do a bit of dissolving to get rid of weird lighting effects.

Here are the current statistics of the model.

USS Dawn
NCC-1753

Faces: 3053
Edges: 6348
Vertices: 3455

And I use Wings 3d for this.

I'll see if I can put up a few pics tomorrow. (My internet is crappy so I can't acces my Imageshack acount back home, so school is the only option and it's rather annoying.)
Jack Cloudy
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Jack Cloudy »

Well, here are the pics I promised. The top view somehow refused to be uploaded, so that one is missing. It was the only one that actually showed the smoother saucer, so it is a shame. I’m quite satisfied with the model, so I think I’ll try to work on a texture during the weekend.

(Sorry, but I just had to make a shot from an angle like this.)

(The Undercut has been changed and the Nacelles have been moved and rescaled.)

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Good stuff. I think it needs a brushed metal look and tons of tiny windows.