Back from vacation. I brought you a gas giant.

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Back from vacation. I brought you a gas giant.

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

Well, actually a docking station within a gas giant, if there's any use for it (finally finished it after about a year!) If these are gas miners or scientific platforms or whatever, yo, I don't know.

The design of this thing in my head was quite weird. It had a massive giro in the center of which there was a stabilized habitat, peripheral funnel-like wind catchers, at the end of which there was an eolic energy collector made up by a foward and a reverse propeller. Then I realized that the close-up shot looked better ;)

Link to the somewhat more detailed 1024x1024 texture.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Gosh! That looks amazing! Great work.
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

holy crap. Awesome work, man.

How'd you create that? I can't tell if it's a 3D rendering, photoshop job, or a combination of the two. (probably latter?)
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Thanx dudes. I'm flattered.

@Coffeebot: blender + photoshop. I'm far too impatient to render the whole thing together, so I render the rings and the docking thing separately. Clouds in bryce or terragen, tinted the rings the color of the atmosphere. It's cheap :oops:, but it works :D .
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

That's actually a really good idea for that kind of stuff. Plus, if something isn't quite right, you don't have to waste another 10 hours rendering the whole thing again :D

I'm going to have to try this...I'd always been afraid of doing anything like this because of the render time.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Cool. The way you created that artwork... it has a kind of artistic feel to it... I like.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Just to be aggravating...

The first thing I thought of when I saw that shot, was that it would work very well with the base animations a la Privateer Remake. Specifically, animate the lights, and the gas drifting past.

This would be a suitable landing pad for gas planets that are inhabited (if any).

Sidenote: gas planets that are not inhabited - then not be able to land on said planet? Hmm... <thought>
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Silverain wrote:Sidenote: gas planets that are not inhabited - then not be able to land on said planet? Hmm... <thought>
How about uninhabited planets, period, gaseous or otherwise?
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

thats some awesome work you got there cojl... i reckon it would be fun sitting on one of them gyros ;)
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Hey dudes.

Nobody knows what's at the center of a gas giant (I sorta like Arthur C. Clarke's idea that maybe there's a huge diamond in there ... yummy) so I'm going out on a limb, but just one limb at a time: the gyro is an atmospheric floater, with funnels, sails and propellers (sold separately) to both catch the wind and use it to turn the gyro around. I was going to write a bunch of stuff about superfluidics and ribbed structures to handle friction and tension but nah :D
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

really neat
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

CubOfJudahsLion wrote:Hey dudes.

Nobody knows what's at the center of a gas giant (I sorta like Arthur C. Clarke's idea that maybe there's a huge diamond in there ... yummy) so I'm going out on a limb, but just one limb at a time: the gyro is an atmospheric floater, with funnels, sails and propellers (sold separately) to both catch the wind and use it to turn the gyro around. I was going to write a bunch of stuff about superfluidics and ribbed structures to handle friction and tension but nah :D
Hey cool! I just read a book with one of these generators in...well, almost (it was situated in the ion stream between a gas giant and a moon)...but neat :-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso

Post by Guest »

CoffeeBot wrote:
Silverain wrote:Sidenote: gas planets that are not inhabited - then not be able to land on said planet? Hmm... <thought>
How about uninhabited planets, period, gaseous or otherwise?
How about... no.

"Hey guys! Hey guys! I have a great idea! Let's limit the game!"
'OMG THAT"S AN AWSOME IDEA!!!111'
"Yea, I'ma go start deleting things en masse RIGHT NOW, OMFG!!!!!!111111111111111ONE ONE ONE"
'RaDIKKAL DUDE!! Yo, WEEED Like... kicks like... ass man.."