Logos (and I mean more than one)

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ok... new versions available, same link.
Only far shots were able to show the entire clydesdale's far end...
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

You are right, 31 and 32 are good. I didn't see them before.

I like 13 b9 the best out of your second group of shots... the lighting on the smaller ship makes it all look so much cooler :-) If I flip it horizontally, it would fit in great.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

BTW... I just took a look at them with a not-so-fucked-up monitor, and they're quite darker than I saw them on my own.

You may want to play with brightness (gamma, more likely) a bit, otherwise you miss some nice details.
Wing Commander Universe
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Cool... those flares really make a difference!

@Zaydana: Flash would be a bad idea, since so many linux users use this website and flash support for linux is
anywhere from marginal to nonexistant. People complained when strangelet made his site use flash, and that was
just a homepage, not a communications and information hub.

Plus, we're already scraping up pretty bad against our webspace quota, I don't imagine that flash files
will really help in that department.

So yes, it would look cool, but I would avoid it if at all possible.

@klauss: On a side note, what was used to make that index file? Some kind of shell script? Or was is just made
by hand?
I've been looking for a lightweight (no database/overhead) gallery solution for my website and have so far been
unsuccessful at locating one.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Halleck wrote:@klauss: On a side note, what was used to make that index file? Some kind of shell script? Or was is just made
by hand?
I've been looking for a lightweight (no database/overhead) gallery solution for my website and have so far been
unsuccessful at locating one.
Konqueror has a "make gallery" thingy, that makes thumbnails and all.
If you can run php scripts (but don't want the database overhead), you can do that with a serverside script rather easily (php + gd). If you're interested in the php version, drop me a PM and I may be able to give you some hints (or perhaps the script itself ;) ) - but with Konqueror, you can update the galler, press a button, let Konqueror create the html+thumbs, and upload everything - trivial, and veeery lightweight.
Wing Commander Universe
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

Heres the new web design that i've done up using klauss' screenshot. Constructive criticism is welcome, "that web design sucks" isn't. Can you guys tell me whether you prefer the 3d tabs or 2d tabs? I prefer 2d tabs 'cos they look nicer, but I know theres a few usability nazis out there who will probably rather 3d tabs as they are more visible - so I guess we'll go with the majority.

It'll be a while before its ready to go live, as I still need to code it and do a PhpBB template first. And if I was going to be realllly good, i'd do a template for the gallery and other services we provide as well... but thats a lot of work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@zaydana
This look good...
this is beter than than the curent site... :D

meby a couple idea's...
For the front pages that we use joomla as the cms???
And for the core and projet dev's make we a blog's a look behind the screen's
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Some thoughts:
- in the menu box on the upper right, is it justified to spend top-level real estate on all of the options shown?
- might be nice if a link to the current release (if not the actual files themselves) showed up directly on the front page in a bold and inescapable fashion
- if we can manage to get into the habit of more frequently producing development snapshots, a dispatch link (with a date for the snapshots) like the above for the releases might be nice - it would also allow those unfamiliar with the internals of the project to be able to gauge some more palpable feel of progress (the date for snapshots would keep changing)
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

A nice design. I like layout4 but I'd reverse the tab colours (i.e. make the selected tab lighter and the background tabs darker).
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I like it. I like dark backgrounds, but my concern is that a dark front page linking to white background forums will confuse users. Well designed websites maintain common style elements throughout. Though, of course, one could change the PHPBB theme... Not sure about the wiki pages.
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

thanks guys

jacks: the contents of the sidebars at the moment is just so there something there. When I actually write the layout, I should be able to put anything in the sidebars that we need. While I think it would be a good idea to keep the forum menu where it is if somebody is logged in and browsing the forums, having other boxes at the top for different pages could be a good idea.

charlieg: the tab colors is something that should be pretty easy to change when i've actually done the layout... rename a file and i'll be there. So, once the layout is done, i'll muck around with a few options and show you guys again.

www2: I think we'll just use the current "cms" for the front page - theres no point overdoing the website if we'll never use any of the features. I would argue that being able to leave comments is too much by itself, as spammers take advantage of those comment boxes.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

zaydana wrote: I would argue that being able to leave comments is too much by itself, as spammers take advantage of those comment boxes.
-- Understatement --

/me sighs.

There are several thousand spam posts in the comments sections of news items on our front page at present.

I've half a mind to turn the comments off, actually.

Any comment system would have to be more robust than our current one.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Cool. 8)

Me wonders what those latin text mean. Me will learn speak fluent latin, so I can talk with caesar.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@zaydana
Oke no problem ...
My idea is more for between v0.5.0 and v0.6.0...
And for now is more a project for study...
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Nice! Glad to see my revised aelar shot making an appearance. it never did make it into the official gallery for some reason. :D

I agree with charlieg, use design #4 with inverted tab color, or perhaps even the light color from design #3.

And chuck, the forums template can potentially be re-done to fit the new layout. Zaydana, are you planning to do this?

I'll probably have time to make a matching gallery v2 theme this summer.
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

yeah, i'm definitely planning on retheming the forums. Thats a must. And I think the gallery is equally important, since screenshots are one of the first things most people are going to want to see. So, i'll probably try to get both ofo them done before I actually put anything live.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Cool. As I mentioned before, I can help with the gallery theme if you want. I've made one before for a friend so I have some experience.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Wow... I missed this completely.
Sorry, Zay.

Anyway... not much feedback to give, only possitive feedback: this one rocks. Yap - nothing else to say, I think it's perfect. Everythin fits in very nicely.

Great work, Zay.
Wing Commander Universe
Golden_Crow
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Golden_Crow »

I have just finished a logo/wallpaper that i think culd be of use.
And i thank Hisham for letting me use his text logo.^^ (I suck at doing nice looking texts.)

Any comments?
Ready to help with the development of Vega Strike.
Ask me if you need a quick idea for something.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

nice render 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

.umm. :wink: I don't like the stars.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

First draft of the new website is up. Sorry it took so long, i've been extremely extremely busy with work.

http://zaydana.servebeer.com/clients/ve ... .net/final

For those in the know: my biggest problem at the moment is I can't get the footer to sit down at the bottom of the page without using a container, and i've tried to make a containerless design. If you could fix that without adding container divs, i'd be extremely happy. If not, i'll give it another shot when its not 2:22am.

As for the rounded corners, i've gone for the "thou with the better browser wins" approach. If a browser supports CSS rounded corners, then it will render rounded corners. If not, tough. Most of the other approaches are too messy for my aim of extremely simple HTML, however if I find a decent JavaScript rounded corners script I might eventually add that in. For the record, you need a Gecko based browser atm to get rounded corners (or konqueror, theoretically). However, I hear safari support is coming soon, and I've not got the slightest on whether IE7 will support it or not.

The screenshots need to be larger, but I couldn't be bothered resizing them right at the moment. Don't worry tho, there won't be that much space in the screenshots box in the final product.

For reference, http://zaydana.servebeer.com/clients/ve ... -final.jpg is the image i've been working from. There is a .psd available for it if anybody needs it.

Anywho, once the footer is done, all that really needs to be done is create themes for the various parts of the website, such as the gallery and forums.

Lastly, so far, the markup is XHTML 1.1 compliant. The CSS has a few hacks, so that aint compliant, but i'm not too worried about that. Help from people would be great so long as it doesn't wreck the XHTML 1.1 compliance, and as mentioned before, so long as it doesn't use nested containers divs.

Suggestions may be welcome depending on how happy i'm feeling when I read them.

- James
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

It looks very nice here (currently (temporarily) using konqueror 3.5.2). The bottom looks as in your design. You did use that CSS "clearall" (or something like that) property, right? The corners are not rounded, though. But hey, that's not really a headache. Kudos for the xhtml 1.1 compliance! You used browser extensions for rounded corners -- neat. I think there is a definite stardard coming there with CSS3.
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

Looks good. the rounded corners are nice in firefox, but still looks good in konqueror, anyhow... I look forward to seeing this go live.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

That's really a nice design! great work... :D
VSTrade - A Merchants Guide to Intergalactic Trading!
0.3.0.0 Stable (3 july 2008)