Looking for this again..

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Looking for this again..

Post by Duality »

It's something like an LOD Creator, Mesh progressor or sort of something like that.

Something that creates LODs on a model mainly because, my meshes have a quite amount of polies(talk about 500+).

If they don't exist then I'll manually do them.
I found some tricks on doing it but not so automattically.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Looking for this again..

Post by tiny paintings »

Duality wrote:It's something like an LOD Creator, Mesh progressor or sort of something like that.

Something that creates LODs on a model mainly because, my meshes have a quite amount of polies(talk about 500+).

If they don't exist then I'll manually do them.
I found some tricks on doing it but not so automattically.
nVidia (or was it ATI?) has some tools for automatic LOD creation, I believe. Can't remember the name of the tool, however, and I've heard the results are often poor. Perhaps it can be used for the least detailed LOD, at least.

Blender comes with a little tool called "decimator" that will reduce polycount, too. Unfortunately it doesn't preserve (any) UV-coords or seams.

Also, you don't really need LODs if your models are only a mere 500 tris. One at most.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Hey, TP! Long time no see. I'm getting the hang of Blender, working on a new Demon model, for WCU; I might be using your radiosity baking recipi soon... ;-)
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

500 is a lot?

Optimizers and decimators are pretty common, although halfway decent ones cost a ridiculous amount of money (on the order of hundreds or thousands of dollars). It might help if you specified what format you're working in.

Post by Guest »

Actually, I use .obj for exporting them models.

-D
BradMick
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by BradMick »

you want to optimize a 500 poly model? i hope that is polys and not tris...if its tris....dude, you don't need to optimize a 500 tri model at all.
LightWave nerd extrodanaire...

"Who need drugs when you got Brad? He's a trip enough already!' - stoner friend of mine...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Certainly. New Constantinople, I just realized, is a little under 7000 tris, and it runs really fast on all hardware.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe