Remaking backgrounds...

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

do you want to see more screen shots of new backgrounds?

yes
50%
yes
50%
no
No votes
no
No votes
stop doing this you idiot!
No votes
stop doing this you idiot!
No votes

Total votes: 34

ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

batch file

Post by ace123 »

I quickly made a batch file that renames files matching the pattern of the argument passed in to have a .bmp extension, in case the above perl script does not work (it is supposedly for Unix only).

W2K and WXP(?):

Code: Select all

for %%i in (%1) do rename "%%i" "%%~n%i.bmp"
Unfortunately, this simple thing is "enhanced" syntax in w2k, so might not work on older windoze. For <w2k systems, it will instead add a ".bmp" to the end of the complete filename.

W95, WME, W98, etc.:

for %%i in (%1) do rename "%%i" "%%i.bmp"
Just make a batch file and paste that in.
Then run "mybatch.bat *.jpg" to convert all jpg file extensions to bmp.

Hope this helps :)
enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: batch file

Post by enlightenment »

ace123 wrote:

for %%i in (%1) do rename "%%i" "%%i.bmp"
Just make a batch file and paste that in.
Why go to all that trouble when rename accepts wildcards direclty?

ren *.jpg *.bmp
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

To the above... DOPE, i should use command prompt more often :oops:

thanks for the enlightenment :D

I dont know how my mind works... but for some reason after the first 16 sets were completed i procrastenated for 3 weeks before finishing the last four,

Anyway, heres the (probably) final thing from me. 20 sets, 120 textures, .JPG's renamed as .BMB, @ 6.5 Megs (yay!) This set is ready and waiting to be added to CVS (lets get that activity up again). EVERY old background is now replaced with a new one.

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/finaltextures.zip

Enjoy! 8)
Last edited by hurleybird on Mon May 19, 2003 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

thank you, you're da bomb

-scheherazade
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

w00t hurley
your comms are already in the CVS data and your flares and many many backgrounds are sitting in my queue...
I'll put 'em all in before release *G*
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

OOPS... Sorry. Just realized a mistake. The new textures i posted only had 102 textures and still had the sphere maps. Obviously, something went wrong along the way... :?

Anyway, the new FINAL version with 120 textures (7.5MB) is now available here. http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/finaltextures.zip

Sorry for the inconveinance.

Enjoy!

PS, hellcat. I see that the new comms are now in CVS, but dont they need a new factions.xml to work? i would make one myself but all knowledge of how to was lost on the old forum i beleive.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

arrgh I just committed these other ones you gave me...
anyhow :-) hey themore the merrier

I hacked VS to make the "default" ones work fine unless you wanted to specify something more precise (like these dudes talk DIFFERENTLY to these other dudes)

for instance maybe the Aera have special ugly words for the rlaan that they don't share with the humons
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Sounds like a lot of work... If we ever get the ability to play as Area, or Rlaan etc. then it should be added though. Sorry for the huss... luckily 90% of the stuff is the same.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

well I'm not doiung any more work ;-) just waiting for it to upload...so all is good

ok back to finals-study

gettin' ready to graduate here lol but I gotta pass ma' finals
Darkmage
Merchant
Merchant

map rez

Post by Darkmage »

They HAVE to be 1024x1024, otherwise they won't wrap properly, I found an online tutorial about cub maps and backgrouds, the width AND height of the map has to be the same as the width of the screen rez, so at 1024x768 res the maps MUST be 1024x1024 othewise you get distortion. 512x512 is a bad idea, unless you're running vegatrike at 512xsome weird rez
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

previous textures were 256x256 the only two things which really matter for appearing right in VS is that both Width and height are the same value, and multiples of two. So 515x512, 256x256, 1024x1024, 1048x2048 etc. all work.
Darkmage
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Darkmage »

in all previous images that were 256x256 or 512x512, i could notice distortion on the images, on 1024x1024images I have been unable to noticedistortion... EVEN with images flowing from one tile onto another.
lazyhurleybird

Post by lazyhurleybird »

the previous 256x256 textrures were flawed and distorted by human error, they were not perfect cube maps. The 515x512 images are good for the most part... but the .jpg compression seems to distort some areas (mainly when a dark color turns into black). the current 512 images i am working on improving. Im also considering using .png compression. Will .jp2 compression work? it offers lossless quality but is still fairly small.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I think jp2 is a bit too patent-laden for use...

we're prolly going to have to stick to png :-)
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hellcatv wrote:I think jp2 is a bit too patent-laden for use...

we're prolly going to have to stick to png :-)
yeah....although there are other opensource alternatives like the one used in:

http://djvu.sourceforge.net/

problem is...I have no idea of how legal this or any other thing offering something "similar to jpeg2000 is" :-/

Dan.a
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

I think we should stay with png.

Also i was wondering if a SVG-implemention would be helpful.
It's also free and text based (W3C-SVG, samples).
But i think this would be a bunch of work to implement (parsing/rendering/etc..)
But especially for menu design it would be very cool.

Just my 2c ;-)

Pontiac
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

hurleybird wrote:OOPS... Sorry. Just realized a mistake. The new textures i posted only had 102 textures and still had the sphere maps. Obviously, something went wrong along the way... :?

Anyway, the new FINAL version with 120 textures (7.5MB) is now available here. http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/finaltextures.zip
Okay, just downloaded these, and did a fresh install of 0.3.1 and replaced all of the original background textures by renaming the original dir to backgrounds.old and creating a new backgrounds dir and unpacking this file into it.

Started a new game, and the background is solid white...
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

what system are you in? what background is assigned to that system? What kind of graphics card are you running? If there is not enough video memory available then textures will begin not to render and will appear as white.
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

hurleybird wrote:what system are you in?
Enigma.

what background is assigned to that system?
Dunno.
What kind of graphics card are you running? If there is not enough video memory available then textures will begin not to render and will appear as white.
64m GF3. (Actually, the box also has a 64m GF2 PCI in it for dual-head. I've got a 9" svga hooked up to it at 800x600 for console stuff.)
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

should work. you have enough vid mem. Enigma uses blue_galaxy1, which i just double checked to make sure its named right. Only suggestion is to make sure you backgrounds dir is in the right place, and make sure that blue_galaxy1 is in there.