Space Elevator

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

I'm a little confused as to how it all works. I broke apart the llama bfxm file, and saw it had 3 xmesh files, one for the catamarans, one for the cockpit/body, and one for the lights. Do you just create a new object that is the 3-plane piece, put it where you want it, then export the object alone?
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

CoffeBot: In essence, yes. Then you just merge it with our mesh using mesher (mesher mymesh.bfxm light.bfxm bba).
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Okay, this is getting obnoxious. Every time I load blender, it opens the older version of the elevator car and three bmp textures (that have no files associated with them anyway) -- all stuff I had done, and deleted, in wings. This happens even when I do File->New->[yes, erase all] -- whatever I had been doing, it resets it to this state.

The bmps only show up in the UV Mapper, in the flyout-list (double arrow icon) next to the UV menu.

I'm afraid this crap is going to start screwing with my models -- and even if it's not, it's bloody annoying.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Try File->Save default settings (Ctrl U). That will change the default that loads as a new scene.
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

tiny paintings wrote:Try File->Save default settings (Ctrl U). That will change the default that loads as a new scene.
Aah...that's what I did. So, is there a way to rid myself of those 3 bitmaps listed in the UV menus?

Also, in the creation of models, I assume it's okay to have several blender objects (cube1, cylinder1, foo1) that all get exported into the .obj -> bfxm, etc? Or, will having multiple objects ruin things? I would figure it gets to be a major pita to have to extrude every single part of the model (if not impossible, in a few cases).
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

@chuck: check out our elevator forum. posted you some questions. (or will be, in a moment)
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

@CoffeBot: Multiple disjoint parts are okay afaik.

To delete the lingering textures just use click "x" next to the listbox where they appear.
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Heh, now another Blender question -- is there a quick and easy way to take selected faces and smooth them from harsh angles into simple curves?
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

You mean like W,3? Or W->Smooth?
Or, *hint hint*, subsurf and use normals maps :D
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Yes, exactly like those.

As for normal maps, I didnt think the VS engine supported them.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Normal maps: It will... so feel free to use them. Just create the standard 3-component tangent space ones... not the 2-component compressed ones (warning just in case, I don't think any tool creates them by default).

Tiny: I thought I could hijack this thread a little for a blender/general uv-mapping question. Is there a way to get rid of that zigzagging that sometimes happens when uvmapping stuff? Where, for instance, a straight line is bent across a trapezoidal quad.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

klauss: I'm not sure I understand your problem... a picture to demonstrate, perhaps?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Oh... too bad I didn't get that yesterday, for now I'm at work and won't be able to even bring a picture until tomorrow (lot of wasted time). I'll post it tomorrow.
Wing Commander Universe
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

klauss: AFAIK, using mesh subdivision (W1,W2,W3) instead of subsurfaces. In subdivision, the uv coords seem to be interpolated linearly, and generally tends to look better.
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

@klauss: I just reread your question, and I think I understand what you're talking about. Are all of your seams in the right place? When I was mapping the elevator car, missing a single seam caused that in some places.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

CubOfJudahsLion wrote:klauss: AFAIK, using mesh subdivision (W1,W2,W3) instead of subsurfaces. In subdivision, the uv coords seem to be interpolated linearly, and generally tends to look better.
But that is pretty much infinitely less powerful... subsurfs rock!
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

Yeah, they do r0xx0r, but what to do--their spline mapping somehow is less reliable than linear interpolation :(
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Anyway, I didn't use subsurfaces. I did plain manual uv-mapping. And although mesh subdivision would help, I'm not sure I can subdivide that much (it would take quite some suvidivision to fix the zigzagging).
Wing Commander Universe
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ok, tiny. Here it is:

And, in case it's of use, the uv layour
Wing Commander Universe
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Oh, nooooow I get what you're talking about. And, I don't know the answer ;)
Looking at the UV Map, though, it seems like you have quite a few faces that aren't unfolded in the same proportion as the others.

I'll watch for this happening when I do the greebles on the elevator.
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Alright. Time to rejack the thread to show how the station is coming along. Chuck's posted some things about it in this thread but it's in the contributor help section. It's time for some content vetting ;)

Here's a good distance shot of the platform. Only one section is textured, at this point. Just making sure it looks okay before continuing, and doing serious detailing.

For scale, I give you a conveniently located clydesdale. If you can't read it, the clydes is at 3062 meters from my ship...
...and the SES is at 37274 meters (about 12x's the distance)

Here's a view-consuming closeup of the surface. The black dots are crudely contrived holes where the elevators will pass through. I think my jpg compression was on, because the artifacts on the texture are HORRENDOUS.

And, a view of the tail end, near the center tube. I think I need to make a thicker yellow/black stripe :D
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Nice! What a difference a bit of texturing makes! Indeed, the black and yellow stripes need to be visible at some distance. I like the look, already, though. The texture I made for the holes, I calculated their positions so that they formed an octagon.
When put toghether:
http://www.deeplayer.com/dan_w/goodies/greebles/big.png
I think a regular octagonal pattern would look better. I like your choice of color, though; but I also like having some rimms around the holes.

Maybe with your color but with gray lines of about the same luminance, forming the road networks, it would give it detail without strongly giving away the intent. I find this an interesting concept: Putting greebles, but in a way as if you were trying to hide them, or to make them low key... Come to think of it, that's probably what doesn't work with a lot of greebling. If it were done in a more subtle way, it would probably be paid more attention to.

BTW, regarding scale, I took a shot of my llama in the door of Serenity mining base, zooming out. Just by eye, I'd say Serenity would fit comfortably inside the center tunnel...

The little thing in the door is my llama:

But in the pic below, my llama looks even smaller (the little dot in the middle of the entrance)

CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

chuck_starchaser wrote: Maybe with your color but with gray lines of about the same luminance, forming the road networks, it would give it detail without strongly giving away the intent. I find this an interesting concept: Putting greebles, but in a way as if you were trying to hide them, or to make them low key... Come to think of it, that's probably what doesn't work with a lot of greebling. If it were done in a more subtle way, it would probably be paid more attention to.
Oh, I know the elevator portals are off. I just slapped them on to give the surface something other than just a grid. As for the color, I'm curious as to why it's not the same grey as the tile you posted above, chuck. I eyedroppered (is that a word?) the grey straight from that pic, so I'm not sure why the colors came out as such.

And, actually, WRT to the elevator locations, I was considering making them more than just textures -- from certain angles, you can tell they're just painted dots, especially on the larger ones. Why not make them tubes that travel through the base -- or at least a little distance into it. Use tiny_painting's baked radiosity to give them a glow of deeper interior lighting,

Also, does anyone know how to get the UV map to unfold into straight lines, in blender? It's really hard to align the top and bottom textures if the maps aren't straight. Yes, I know I can rotate them, but I still can't achieve a "perfect straight" with that.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

CoffeeBot wrote:
chuck_starchaser wrote: Maybe with your color but with gray lines of about the same luminance, forming the road networks, it would give it detail without strongly giving away the intent. I find this an interesting concept: Putting greebles, but in a way as if you were trying to hide them, or to make them low key... Come to think of it, that's probably what doesn't work with a lot of greebling. If it were done in a more subtle way, it would probably be paid more attention to.
Oh, I know the elevator portals are off. I just slapped them on to give the surface something other than just a grid. As for the color, I'm curious as to why it's not the same grey as the tile you posted above, chuck. I eyedroppered (is that a word?) the grey straight from that pic, so I'm not sure why the colors came out as such.
Hmmm... maybe the material has a color? Before texturing it was looking creamy, rather than white or grey. Could be Cephid-17 is a brow dwarf :)
And, actually, WRT to the elevator locations, I was considering making them more than just textures -- from certain angles, you can tell they're just painted dots, especially on the larger ones. Why not make them tubes that travel through the base -- or at least a little distance into it. Use tiny_painting's baked radiosity to give them a glow of deeper interior lighting,
Sure! That's the spirit! I think we could have windows in the tunnels too, lit from behind. Specially from the bottom side, where the passenger stations are.
Also, does anyone know how to get the UV map to unfold into straight lines, in blender? It's really hard to align the top and bottom textures if the maps aren't straight. Yes, I know I can rotate them, but I still can't achieve a "perfect straight" with that.
I believe you mean vertically/horizontally-aligned. I'd ask Blender questions at elYsiun, if I were you. I posted a question about the problem I was having when mirroring the side-chunk, that the visibility of all the facets got reversed, and I had several replies in no time.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Here's an early preview of what the top deck of the military section will look like. This texture mirrors 4 times to cover the octogonal top of the base. The top-left corner of the texture is the center of the structure.

http://www.deeplayer.com/dan_w/goodies/elevator/tmp.png