Making Wings3D work

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

hcgern0
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Making Wings3D work

Post by hcgern0 »

Folks---

I know this is off the beaten topic path, however, would it be possible for someone to point me in the direction of how to properly install and/or run Wings3D? I've tried building from source, and I'm either missing some dependencies or using an incorrect version, and the linux binary barfs with a segfault.

TIA,

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

I had the same problem. What worked for me was getting the latest and greatest Erlang version available and the development version of Wings (stable version didn't compile...).
hcgern0
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by hcgern0 »

Well, I finally got Wings3D to work. Here's what I wound up doing:
  • Downloaded/configured/compiled/installed Erlang/OTP R10B-6, with threads enabled.
    Downloaded/compiled/installed ESDL 0.95.0630
    Downloaded linux binary for Wings3D stable version (0.98.29b)
    Created a new startup script, using the compiled versions of Erlang and ESDL and my own SDL installation rather than those packaged with Wings, using the example startup script from the source package README.unix file.
What was happening:
  • Binary version was segfaulting because I have NVidia hardware/drivers, and the binary package apparently wasn't compiled with threads enabled.
    Source version (0.98.29b and 0.98.31) had the following error during compile:

Code: Select all

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/henry/Desktop/wings-0.98.31/src'
    erlc -pa /usr/lib/erlang/lib/esdl-0.95.0630/ebin +warn_unused_vars -I/usr/lib/erlang/lib/esdl-0.95.0630/include -I ../e3d -W +debug_info '-Dwings_version="0.98.31"' -pa ../ebin -o../ebin wings_color.erl
    wings_color: function internal_rgb_to_hsv/3+97:
      Internal consistency check failed - please report this bug.
      Instruction: {test,is_eq_exact,{f,80},[{x,0},{atom,error}]}
      Error:       {unsafe_instruction,{float_error_state,cleared}}:

If anyone could tell me what the above error is, or to whom to converse in order to find out more about this paticular error, I would be most grateful. I also hope this helps others who may have difficulty installing Wings3D on a linux based platform.

Thanks much everyone,

Henry C. Gernhardt, III