The Franklin gets competetion.... Or a update.

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

The Franklin gets competetion.... Or a update.

Post by Ares »

A project i did in March. If ya like it i could finish it as a franklin competetor or possibly the next gen franklin. (current one looks too much like the hellcat from WC.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Nice.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Looks nice. Maybe, IMO, a bit on the small side though?
The general shape does evoke the feeling of a diplomatic transport to me.
Some more detail would do it good.

OT: How's the science ship coming along? I liked the pictures you posted :) /OT
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

small? i thought it looked kinda big for a fighter...
How does it evoke a diplomatic ship? most diplomatic ships don't cary 4 heavy mounts and 2 lights, along with 2 underside mounts for missles fired from internal bays..
I'm working on details.

As for my science ship the mesh for that is.... done. pretty much. i might add some greebles, it does already have a bunch of functional ones.
I may add some greebles, since there seems to be plenty of talk of that lately, i might redo the mesh cuz it has some problems. Maybe see if i can loose the smoothness without loosing the smoothness.... if that makes any sense.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Looks pretty mean. How big is it? The bigger the ship, the bigger the engines; I hope the ones at the wing-tips are just for maneuvering, and the big ones are in the body at the back... Any chance of retro rockets? ;-)
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Ares wrote:small? i thought it looked kinda big for a fighter...
It does kinda look like a cap ship.
Ares wrote:As for my science ship the mesh for that is.... done. pretty much. i might add some greebles, it does already have a bunch of functional ones.
What about a texture? ;)
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Ares wrote:small? i thought it looked kinda big for a fighter...
How does it evoke a diplomatic ship? most diplomatic ships don't cary 4 heavy mounts and 2 lights, along with 2 underside mounts for missles fired from internal bays..
I'm working on details.
The general shape just evoked the feeling of something that could be a diplomatic ship, can't really explain why.
And in case you somehow missed it the Franklin is, and I quote, an "Andolian Diplomatic Transport". (Thus my opinion of making it appear larger, since it's obviously going to need some room to house hotshot diplomats as well as the defensive armament)
If diplomatic transport should carry that much arms, well, that's up to jack.
Ares wrote:Maybe see if i can loose the smoothness without loosing the smoothness.... if that makes any sense.
Makes perfect sense :) Good luck! Hope we'll see that ship in VS sometime soon :)
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

Scale wise, it's roughly the same size as the current franklin. It's more obvious highlighted... I added plenty of windows to the front to give it a much better sense of visibilitythen you'd get in most fighters... I'm aware there's none to the back, but unnn...... thats what cameras are for.

The wingtip canons were supposed to be leech guns.... or some other specialty weapon. i was toying with the idea of were to add manuvering jets but it came out well and i don't wanna mess up the lines... It'll get jets. I'll figure something out...

Ahhh Textures, the one part of any project i DESPISE. (well more acurately UV mapping) I'll make some, the mesh probably won't change at all....
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

IMO, the mesh is perfect. Everything can be solved by texturing.
Although... retro rockets are supposed to be comparable in size to main engines, so it will be a problem... but I guess that a lot of smaller ones could be added by texturing, with black holes (like in those shuttle shots in another thread), if you can't find a better way. But I'm with you in that it's dangerous to touch that mesh. At least, make a backup ;)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

wait.... are we talking about this ship or my science ship?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Me I was talking about this one; and I'm pretty sure Klauss too, from his mentioning the shuttle's maneuvering jets.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... 14_big.jpg
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

llol, i've never seen the shuttles manuvering jets before. Always wondered were they were. looks like behind a retractable portion of the heat shield, heh, cool. Yes i'll add the jets, it'll probably be a bunch of small ones.
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Accu-Accelerated »

Style is definitely reminiscent of a diplomatic transport/the franklin, and it has a good level of detail and a nice shape. Maybe it will have a larger cockpit/large viewing areas? Can we have a look at the bottom and back views also?

I can't wait to see this ship textured!
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

Okay..... unless you've changed the mesh since the last major release i could of SWORN the franklin was a fighter, in fact i have pictures and a mesh here.... i know it is. There is no visual clues anywere on it thats it's anything but. I designed this as a fighter, i like the was it looks, and i'd rather not mess with it.
SINCE WHEN is the franklin a diplomatic ship? I guess that would explain the point defense weapons on it. (wich i feel are a tad powerfull for such a small ship. But SINCE WHEN is it a people mover? I see NO sugestions of this on the mesh...
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Accu-Accelerated »

"Offically" the Franklin is a diplomatic transport, look here: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Ships
elzbal
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elzbal »

Ares wrote:But SINCE WHEN is it a people mover? I see NO sugestions of this on the mesh...
The only indication is on the Wiki. The "Vessels & Installations" page contains a link to the currently-empty page for the Franklin, along with the following description:
The Wiki wrote:Franklin {Andolian Diplomatic Transport} needs new texture, deserves new model+texture

(And since this is my first post, I really need to give my obligatory congratulations to everyone involved in making Vega Strike a wonderful game - and my new obsession. :) )

Edit: Oops, I didn't notice someone had already answered this on page 2 of the thread. :oops:
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

*curses something about 'these people can't make ships that look like what there supposed to be*
I'm not changing the ship simply cuz you can't make a transport that actually LOOKS like a transport. It's a fighter, like it or not. I'll make it's gun mounts a little more apparent.

I suppose the goddard by this reasoning isn't a 'dreadnaught of bombers' it's a pacifist research ship..... right? all the guns and missle mounts are like the 4WD systems on SUV's.... It's all image, noone ever uses em' right? :lol:
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Ares wrote:*curses something about 'these people can't make ships that look like what there supposed to be*
That would be one of the reasons it needed a new mesh ;) Hopefully in creating a new one, such errors would be rectified
cshank4
Merchant
Merchant

Post by cshank4 »

... Ares, you sound disgruntled. The Franklin is, in my opinion, more of a Courier Boat, if you will, then an actual diplomatic transport. Think a shuttle.
Moon hangs around
a blade over my head
reminds me
what to do before I’m dead
night consumes light
and all I dread
reminds me what to do before I’m dead
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

it dosen't look like a 'courier boat/shuttle' either I see no resembalance to it being a people mover. Wouldn't it at least have windows?