New to VS and I want to start skinning...

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Flowers Of Naivety
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Flowers Of Naivety »

Wow thats pretty damn cool...
"The flowers of naivety, buried in a layer of frost"
Concept Artist at: www.reteb.hlgaming.com
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Flowers Of Naivety wrote:And also, I converted the Half-Life soundtrack (for my own use) to .ogg, how do I get it in game? I saw something about putting them in a config file or something under combat and somethign else, but I can't find it now...
You don't have to convert it to ogg. I think SDL-Mixer plays MP3's and WAV's and a few other common types. It's always best to leave something in it's original format. Vega Strike's music just happened to be originally in the .ogg format.

To add music to playlists, I would look in the ".vegastrike" folder in the data directory (I don't think it's the one in your home directory).
You will see a lot of .m3u playlists. Pick the appropiate files (peace.m3u, victory.m3u, etc.)
You can either edit them in a text editor like notepad or you can use a music player like Winamp, Windows Media, etc. to add it to the playlist. Pretty much any music player can load or save M3U playlists.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Halleck wrote:
Flowers Of Naivety wrote:Hey what the hell is all this I hear about Cvs? What is it? ANd why are people talking about it?
CVS stands for Concurrent Versions System. It is a version control repository hosted on sourceforge.net.

Basically, in-between releases, developers still work on the game and make changes to the CVS copy of the game and source code. Users can "check out", or download the intermediate copy of the game, which is generally reffered to as "getting the cvs".

You can think of the cvs as a development version of the game. It usually has more features and more bugs than the current release. When everyone feels it's ready, the cvs is compiled, bundled up into installers for various platforms, and made into an official release.
See How to Checkout CVS
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

There are more modellers than skinners. Perhaps you should track some of the evolving models and offer to skin any that take your fancy.

For instance, these two very recently produced models might qualify [I can barely remember a single skinned Ares model, and Major's aversion to UV mapping might indicate a lack of skinning enthusiasm]:
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

And also the upcoming Convolution model too, when etheral walker finishes it, if he doesn't going (or want) to skin it.
TyKeiL
Merchant
Merchant

=P

Post by TyKeiL »

can you believe i have no aversion to evw mapping. i find it ...

1. easy to understand,
2. satisfyingly time comsuming.
3. lacking in "artistic merit" enough to make it easy.

if anyone needs a model unwrapped i will see what i can do for you. then pass it on.
beans