Hello: new to Vega Strike and computer modelling

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Bulletproof Slinky
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Hello: new to Vega Strike and computer modelling

Post by Bulletproof Slinky »

Hi,

I am new to Vega Strike, and computer modelling. I learnt about this game from a MMO game directory and thus came about this site and forums. I must say, I am quite dumbstruck by the quality of work you guys have done! It is absolutely excellent! :D

I would thus like to learn computer modelling, and make some artwork of my own for the game. Do you have any suggestions for me?

I did learn that Rhinoceros 3D is a good modelling program, and I am considering getting it. What program do you guys generally use? What other programs/materials are necessary or useful?

Thanks for your time and help,
Bulletproof Slinky
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

You'll hear different suggestions from different people. I do all my work in Wings3d.

It has an exporter for Vegastrike's format, is free, and works on multiple platforms. I find it works quite well for my needs.

**edit**
curses, why can't my spellchecker tell that 'exported' is a type on that context? ;)
Last edited by MamiyaOtaru on Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

Well, the substance of the issue you'll find in the wiki (see links above), but there'll be no harm in summarizing the basics here:

- For modeling, the most direct route is Wings3D. It's pretty intuitive, and the basics shouldn't take more than a couple of days to learn. It can be exported to VS format using a plugin meant for wings3d (for more info look here.)

After brushing up on the basics, modeling is mostly learned by practicing and example, so go through tutorials. The more the better. The Wings3D site should provide the necessary links. Regarding Vega Strike integration, visit the HowTos page for details.
Culture20
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Culture20 »

You forgot to mention the best part of Wings3D: it's free! (sure, so is blender, but operating blender is like sticking one's hand in its phononym)

If you're truely new to modelling, you might try anim8tor; it's got an even more intuitive interface than wings3D, but you'll ougrow it quickly (and it's a windows only prog).
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

so is blender, but operating blender is like sticking one's hand in its phononym
On its what?

Oy vey! Did you speak ill of the Blender? Ton is not happy!!!!!!!

Now seriously: to be fair, da bee-three-deeeee is a full-featured, scriptable, production suite for CG movies and interactive 3d apps, designed for efficient workflow (you hate climbing the learning curve but you love the view from the top.) In the other hand, Wings3D is a fabulous modeler, and its designers concentrated on creating an intuitive, strong modeling package. Both design philosophies are equally valid, and it's understandable that Blender's considerably larger set of functions and particular interface are initially complex. Nevertheless, the manual, which is written like a collection of tutorials, is a surprisingly good start.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

Ouch! what's the problem with blender??? if you want to be able to do something you should learn to use the tools before, don't expect you will awake a morning and be a true artist before the night! as for everything in real life you need to learn, and following easy ways from the beginning is not always the best option. I tried rhino a long time, it's a really nice tool, the reference if you want to work with nurbs
I see dead polygons....
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Still, Wings3D is still a good way to start out. You can learn the basic tenets of modelling and texturing there, and if desired, move on to power tools like blender.

I would certainly never reccomend blender over wings to someone who had never touched a 3D modelling program before.
unimatrix
Hunter
Hunter

Post by unimatrix »

Think Blender is bad? you should try Lightwave.

Or better yet tried blender back circa version 1.8 when there were only a few resources online and one book about the subject. At least now there are enough Tutorials online and the newer interface design, after two months of trying to figure out where everything had gone , is not really any better.

Its harder to find things, but easier to see them....if that makes sense.

Still 3D Max has one of the better interfaces around.

It took me nearly 4 years to really become comfortable with Blender
Disclaimer: This is NOT my universe. I am just the Animation Stooge...

Dutch...It's like German, but not....

It's offical: the end is near. I am learning French and Apple is switching to Intel.
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

But the majority of internet users like me, would rather use freeware alternative programs like Blender3D, instead of anything that costs money.

Well mabie a cheap 3d modeling program would be cool.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Heh, I downloaded blender back around 1.8... then I got a whiff of the interface and switched to strata3d. :wink:
I would say it's much improved, but it's still a bit like piloting a flying saucer. However, the new widgets in 2.37 make fiddling with the 3D world a bit easier, IMO.
Duality wrote:But the majority of internet users like me, would rather use freeware alternative programs like Blender3D, instead of anything that costs money.

Well mabie a cheap 3d modeling program would be cool.
Which brings us back to (cough) wings 3d.
Bulletproof Slinky
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Ok so I will go with Wings3D. I have another question though: does it have any known ad-ware/spy-ware problems?
ack2000
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by ack2000 »

Bulletproof Slinky wrote:Ok so I will go with Wings3D. I have another question though: does it have any known ad-ware/spy-ware problems?

no spyware issue with wings.

And my 2 cents I prefer 3DS Max....thhhppptt.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Bulletproof Slinky wrote:Ok so I will go with Wings3D. I have another question though: does it have any known ad-ware/spy-ware problems?
It's FOSS, not "Freeware" ;) Then again, LimeWire was open source and had spyware, but that just meant someone (like me) could come along and make a spyware free version. Anyway, wings3d is clean.
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Halleck wrote:Wings3D is still a good way to start out [...] I would certainly never reccomend blender over wings
No opposition here, specially if you're learning modeling. Full-blown suites are never trivial to crack.
unimatrix wrote:Think Blender is bad? you should try Lightwave.
LOL, agreed. Also built for workflow, TWO separate programs and even more cryptically labeled buttons.
ack2000 wrote:Still 3D Max has one of the better interfaces around.
A matter of opinion. I'm used to speedy lw/blend, so I grow quickly tired of clicking around and scrolling so much to get things done (I hate that stack.) In the made-for-the-curve category I like Cinema4D XL better (somewhat less cluttered, better organized IMO.)

At the end, I still have to look at the manual/tutorials, no matter which one I choose (none of these can be said to be trivial, unless your IQ is 180+.) Once I've learned, though, I'd rather get around quickly, but that's just my preference.
Bulletproof Slinky
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

So which one would you recommend for me? There are so many....

Plus, are all the above mentioned programs free?
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Wings3D. Easy, free, easy to convert to VS :)

With the exception of blender, the others are not free.
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

Anim8or is free as well. I have found Anim8or to be a little more intuitive to use (after following a basic tutorial) Oddly, the user interface isn't very friendly though...
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I would absolutely go with wings 3d, for two reasons:
1) It is intuitive and easy to use, but it is also capable of advanced operations like texturing.
2) A lot of people on this forum are familiar with Wings 3D and can offer you assistance with it. I don't think the same thing could be said about anim8or.
pifactorial
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pifactorial »

The only reason I never tried Wings is because I didn't realize it was OSS. Hopefully after using Blender for so long, Wings' interface will still be "intuitive".
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Do you mean to say that if it were freeware instead of FLOSS, you wouldn't use it?
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Of course, don't forget the indomitable Blender which is probably the most advanced free tool you can get and being developed at a storming pace so improving all the time.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Wow, this thread just keeps going in circles. :shock:
Take a second and read it from beginning to end. You'll see what I mean.
pifactorial
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pifactorial »

@Bulletproof Slinky: You should probably try Wings3D. Then again, Blender is good too.

:P

@Halleck: If I have the choice of OSS or freeware, I choose OSS every time. That being said, I also use a lot of freeware and commercial software, where an open-source alternative isn't available.
ack2000
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by ack2000 »

The problem here is that everyone has an opinion when comes to what to use.

Just download and try out the free versions first. Then if you want try demo version of some of other software. Like 3dsmax has Gmax its a demo but give a light interface what max is like.

This is going to come down what program fits you. BTW there are tutorials for every modeling program out there on the web.

Have fun...
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

Halleck wrote:Wow, this thread just keeps going in circles. :shock:
Take a second and read it from beginning to end. You'll see what I mean.
Naw... We're just experiencing the other Slashdot effect*.

* Anyone familiar with Slashdot knows what I'm talking about ;)
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.