Hello: new to Vega Strike and computer modelling

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Bulletproof Slinky
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Bulletproof Slinky »

I am not very interested in paying a lot for a program when there are other programs out there that can do the same thing as it, for free. So, I downloaded Bender and Wings3d. I have already started working on the Blender tutorial...but I can't seem to find one for Wings3d. Does it come with the program?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

You can start learning wings here: http://www.wings3d.com/userguide.php

Also, you can start looking for tutorials here: http://www.wings3d.com/tutorials.php
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

The fastest, most efficent, and most intuitive (though not too well known) modeling program on the market right now is silo.

It's not free, but fairly cheap @ $110, plus theres a 30-day trial.
Last edited by hurleybird on Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I was tired. I somehow misread the entire thread. At least, that's my excuse.
Shadowmane
Trader
Trader

Post by Shadowmane »

I use blender for everything. It takes a little bit to get used to, but once you're used to it, you work very quickly. Also, there is a brand new version out. You can actually work with it more like you work in Maya, so that's a plus (and you don't have to drop $15,000 for one workstation for it). Wings is alright, but it just don't have everything I need. Of course, I'm not modelling for a game (except in spare time). I'm modelling stuff like animals, people, and other stuff like that. Wings just isn't good for modeling those things.
Major
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Major »

My recommendation for beginners in modeling is Wings3D because it is really easy to learn.
I have set up a small tutorial how to create a space fighter
You can learn the basic functions of 3D-modeling and Wings3D still has many possibilities.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

It's true that wings isn't well suited for ultra-high-poly jobs, but it's fine for ingame ship modelling. I can knock out a halfway decent ship mesh in ten minutes with wings.
Flowers Of Naivety
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Flowers Of Naivety »

Wow... That tutorial was really nice... I made my first model...

And my second one...
Jeez I really like this Wing3d...
"The flowers of naivety, buried in a layer of frost"
Concept Artist at: www.reteb.hlgaming.com
Bulletproof Slinky
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Bulletproof Slinky »

Awesome Tutorial...I have started making some models too. I just do not know how to post them here. Can someone please tell me how?

In addition, is there a "snap to grid" setting in Wings? A "snap to grid" setting is basically a setting that makes it easier to center objects, align them, etc. I would like if there was something like that...