stand clear. planets coming through

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Hm... well, if you get the work done and send the modified files to one of us, we could commit it for you.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The textures submitted here might come in handy, however I am unable to access any of them. Since I am actively updating all textures below 2K horizontal resolution as phase 1 of the improvement roadmap, I'd like to ask the the authors or those who have the textures stored on their machines to come forward and make them available.

klauss:
Carribean planet
Can't access the textures posted.

strangelet:
Magma planet
Archive not available.

Thanks
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

About the inaccessible files, there seems to be some problem with Chuck's FTP. I contacted Chuck for help, but he didn't answer yet. In the meanwhile... do I have your mail address? I could mail them...
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Your carribeans are committed to svn as of yesterday.
Which techniques did you use to create the surface texture?
They look very much similar to the blue marble earth maps.

Would be good if you could email me the other magma planet textures as sson as you have them.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

pyramid wrote:They look very much similar to the blue marble earth maps.
I can recognize the earth continents shuffeled around. South america is moved north and rotated clockwise. Then there are the indonesian islands in the center, then north america merged with africa. :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yep. Caribean was my first shot at the technique, and I didn't do the best job at hiding the sources. I also overestimated polar stretch, which resulted in huge continents (even bigger than I had planned).

Also, the northern polar peninsula, which almost touches the Améfrica continent ;) is a bit unrealistic, in that its terrain should have gradually lost whiteness (iciness) as it approaches Améfrica, or Améfrica should have gradually become much snowier as it approached the Northern Great Peninsula. I wanted to fix that, but it was way too much work.

With toxic disaster, though, I managed to use Mars without showing it so obviously. Yet, their continents are odd-shaped, because I manually shaped them this time. That's where random textures come in handy: next time, I could use a random texture as a basis, and lay down actual textures according to it. It has lots of potential, both to speed up the process and to make it higher quality. But other tasks took over my time before I could try.

Still, ingame, it's not noticeable.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe