Snow landing image

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

the priv mod uses a bunch of animated textures for bases

there was an extension to .spr files to allow it to have animated textures

check the remake's bases out for how to make an animated texture with a .spr (specifically check the mining_base or any number of other on-base sprites
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Cisst
Trader
Trader

Post by Cisst »

ah thnx, will check it out tommorow. it would make an livelier impression of the bases if the're animated
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Sweet.
forlarren
Merchant
Merchant

Post by forlarren »

Ever go riding (motorcycle) on a cold clear morning? There is a reason people call it crisp. Maybe its just a side effect of mild hypothermia but some days it seems like you can see forever. With the far hills being crystal clear it really looks cold. I shivered just looking at it. Keep up the good work.
Space Pirate
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Space Pirate »

:shock: Woah. Great work. A huge improvement on those old images of the Ice planets. Reminds me of the Echo base on Hoth in Star Wars. Really sets the mood of an ice planet well. Are there going to be images for the cargo, shipyard, and upgrade centers?
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Bump.
I just checked out CVS and was rather disapointed that those pictures have not been commited. Cisst has left a long while ago. So, could we at least save those two contributed images and commit it to CVS (and replace the crappy ones there)?
Or is there a reason not to do so?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I see not reason not to.
Although it needs placement of a computer interface first... but I guess that can be faked with gimp and a little motivation.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheldens
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pheldens »

yeah I think it's important to put any clear improvement in immediately, save the politics for later.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Politics?

The reason it isn't in is because cisst was working on a neat bar to go with it ... but I guess RL had stepped in to halt that, and I'd since forgotten about these.

But ya, since it seems like a bar isn't going to be coming up soon, no reason to wait anymore.

Dan

(actually, cisst hasn't "left" ... he just hasn't posted in the forums for a while)
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Lonestar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Lonestar »

Might want to add some frost or icicles on the landing. And a case of beer some station guards left out that morning to cool since those suits in the admin office won't spring for a damn fridge. Bastards!
==========
Lonestar
==========
"Not if we jam it! Down scope!"
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Thanks for bumping this Zeog, it nearly fell through the cracks.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Alright, so what's the next step?
WRT the missing bar scene: either we model one (who wants to?) or we take one from a different scene pack (which one? industrial maybe?) or we just stay with those two scenes and have a lost outpost/uninhabitable ice planet without a bar (that would be my choice).
WRT the computer screen, the possibilities are: We sneak a terminal in one of the scenes with your favourite image editing programm as klauss suggested (who can do so?) or we use a suitable region to enter the computer terminal screen (the little house maybe? - my choice) or we say: there is no terminal on this planet, but there is an extra screen showing the inside of your ship and a computer terminal there (which makes much more sense to me than a fully functional computer terminal on a lost outpost but requires an additional scene, is there already one which we can use?).
Of course, all these arrangements can be changed later as new artwork is provided. For now, I'd choose the version with almost no additional work (defining the klickable regions and commiting it).
Any volunteers? :wink:
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Accu-Accelerated »

I think we can just find a little doodad on the map to put the computer screen link. Near the bottom of the image, there are a few stacked crates and two oil barrels. Near it is a little doodad that could be used as a link to the basecomputer. I think the little house should be the bar. As for the bar, I could do some simple editing of some of the bar scenes in the current set to make a suitable "ice" bar. I remembered there was a gray bar made by Strangelet, but I don't know where to find it. Once I have it I'd be happy to edit it a little to make a bar scene.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Great! :D Here is the complete list of the current CVS bar scenes:
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Thanks! I'll try modding the desert bar or maybe the agricultural one. I'll be posting my results in the next few days.
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Allright, I modified the desert bar image to make a new snow bar 8)

Check it out here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... temId=6614
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Cool. 8)

Poor fixers must get pretty cold, it looks like there are some problems with the insulation. :D
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Yes, cool indeed.

Could you do a further little enhancement? These satellite dishes one can see outside the window remind me too much of that dessert planet. Could you replace everything outside with white mountains and a sky like in those original two pictures?

That would be so great!
Cisst
Trader
Trader

Post by Cisst »

sorry i didnt post this long :s, I had a really busy year, but now i'm back on school, so i'll have some time to spare..

On the subject of thos background images, I think i still have the original image somewhere, so maybe that is usable. I'll see if i can find it when i'm home.