Animation: Thoughts and Ideas (pre-production)

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

unimatrix
Hunter
Hunter

Animation: Thoughts and Ideas (pre-production)

Post by unimatrix »

Thought I'd open the floor to before discussed animation lead time thread for people to throw out discussions on the universe's nature (dim lit, bright lit) and for ideas/script storyboards, stuff.

Once there is some idea of what to begin on, then I can start organizing things and requesting help with things like: "Please send models textured in your choice of .obj files or packed .Blend Files" and get the ball rolling in pre-production.

Not to tread on anyone's toes: I'll take point for the work if there isn't anyone else doing it.

Disclaimer: Its not my universe...I'm just the animation stooge...

all sarcasim intended...
unimatrix
Hunter
Hunter

Post by unimatrix »

At least one huge drag out fight between two large fleets....

Actually I want an excuse to DL and try out blender people .

What is Blender People, well its a poor man's massive. If you don't know what massive is, its the program developed for Weta Digital to create those use CGI battle scenes in Lord of the Rings...

http://www.harkyman.com/bp.html

[/url]
Disclaimer: This is NOT my universe. I am just the Animation Stooge...

Dutch...It's like German, but not....

It's offical: the end is near. I am learning French and Apple is switching to Intel.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Wow, that looks really useful. Would it be applicable to spaceflight?
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

I don't think so. But thats just my opinion.

But it may be acceptable when out of ship person to person interaction gets implemented in Vegastrike.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I'd imagine that even if we were to lift the 'actors' off of the ground, the crowd dynamics Blender Peopel was coded to emulate wouldn't fare to well in terms of spaceflight. From what i've seen, the actors run up and attack each other melee style, which is wholly different from the kind of dogfighting that's seen in VS. We could make use of this if we re-tool it to fit with space.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

the fact that blender people need a ground mesh is not an issue ;) just make it invisible, by setting alpha to 0 and make the ground jagy enough to avoid melee fight
I see dead polygons....
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Re: Animation: Thoughts and Ideas (pre-production)

Post by dandandaman »

unimatrix wrote:Thought I'd open the floor to before discussed animation lead time thread for people to throw out discussions on the universe's nature (dim lit, bright lit) and for ideas/script storyboards, stuff.
Well, as you know VS has nothing of this type (Video stuff) in existance. As a general guide for lighting/colour etc ... I really have no idea. That kind of stuff is an artistic choice that I think should probably match any other "non-game" materials we'll likely end up with (as the in game settings are never going to be something you can expect to stay static *forever*). So for that sort of stuff I suggest you talk to CJL and try to work something out.

As for story stuff etc, I'm thinking you want more of a war time story than the intro campaign will be ;-) So probably talk to Jack about possible events to base it around.

Asking and discussing on the forum is good, but isn't the way to grab someones' complete attention ;-) Expecially if you have such broad questions as you've got :-)

Anyway, ya ... this is something that will (like the stuff CJL has planned) really be good for Vegastrike :-D So talk to the guys I mentioned, and bring the stuff that you want discussed more to the forums/other devs etc ... that's probably the best way to go about it :-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
unimatrix
Hunter
Hunter

Post by unimatrix »

I got a copy of the promo script. Looking through it and I should have my $.02 worth about it ready by tomorrow. So far everything looks extremely doable...once a logo is decided upon...

Back to Blender people. I saw in the documentation about using a transparent terrain as well. Still I think it would work with some kind of ablity to fire projectiles (lasers) calc. Especially for doing back ground work for any epic sized scences.
Disclaimer: This is NOT my universe. I am just the Animation Stooge...

Dutch...It's like German, but not....

It's offical: the end is near. I am learning French and Apple is switching to Intel.