Quest for existing models

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Would you like to have a model/art repository ?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:50 pm

Yes
50%
Yes
50%
No
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 28

Surfdargent
Developer
Developer

Quest for existing models

Post by Surfdargent »

I wondered if you great artists would care to help me create a kind of art repository but not only in their VS format but also in their native format : lightwave, 3DS, wings, photoshop, blender, gimp or whatever.

I'm gonna do something like that for my employer so I thought it would be a good opportunity (yep, I have the ears ;)
So if you are ok, I'd like to get every great model you guys did for VS, mods (ST, B5, SW...) in their native form and if possible/available in VS xmesh of preferably bfxm format. A screenshot of each one would be welcome (a render for a native mesh and a VS screenshot for a VS formatted model).

All of this can also work for music if musicians would like such a system, and also for bases art, and splash screens with their gimp, photoshop or whatever files.

I propose to collect the models at the beginning and also as they are created/updated. So artists can send me their updates so that I can add them. Each model and format combination can have multiple versions available. They will be kept.

Later if the repository is used/viewed and if artists wish to they could upload (create/update/delete some version) their models themselves.

I think that having everything centralized can be nice and even be used as a backup (useful etheral, isn't it ? ;))

Just tell me and if some like the idea I'll tell you where to send/upload me files. This is a seven days poll, but I know you guys, you are coming here at least 7 times... a day ! :)
Alaskan
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Alaskan »

Like a CVS for models?
2 133t for joo!!!
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I'm on! another backup for my work is always a good idea. Where do you want the files to be sent? I think you may extend this stuff to non scifi things. There was, in the old times, something like that on nekeme.net, but with tuxfamily shutdown all disapeared.
I see dead polygons....
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

This would be good. I've got the source files for all the splash screens, the Highborn logo, the layered textures for the Llama, and some other things that other people may want to modify, but won't fit on my webspace all at once.

There's a LOT of stuff though.... like gigabytes, I'd bet.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

I think the general consensus has been that this would be a lovely thing if we had somewhere to host it - are you saying you have somewhere to host it ? :)

I hope you are :):):)
strangelet
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by strangelet »

now is a good time for me - all my shit is up and ready to go, and i have a million render shots
- - above and beyond - -
strangelet
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by strangelet »

btw whose ears do you have? anybody interesting? i totally need a break :)
- - above and beyond - -
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

if we can get hte webspace this will be a great thing to have :-)
a resource for all art things VS! :-D

Dan.a
Surfdargent
Developer
Developer

Post by Surfdargent »

Ok guys, I will have the webspace, that's not a problem.
Alask : yep, a kind of web CVS for VS art but that will allow to view screenshots, dl models...
I could reduce the download access to forum registered users like we did in the past for that dead modelsforum.

For the meantime you can either send stuff to me at stephane.vaxelaire at sign gmail or upload it on 2 ftp : both 100 MB for now but I will have a much bigger one. I'll empty them every morning or night to store on a temporary device if needed.

Those who are interested can mail me at the same address then I'll send you the ftp accounts. Or you can even tell me where I can grab stuff.

The only thing I ask to ease my task is to prepare each element in a single tarball, zip, sit or whatever file named with the model/splash/music name and with a version number (something like wayfarer_1_0.tar.gz) with the following if possible :
- original file format
- a preview of the original model(rendered by modeler)/picture in jpeg or png from, ogg (or mp3 if ogg not possible) for music
- VS file format for models
- a screenshot of that models in VS
- a txt file with comments like : name, version, concerned mod if any, author's comments...
I'd like to have the screenshots to be at least 800x600 if you can (higher rez the better anyway but please not over 1600x1200 ;))

Now do your best, if everything is not in there your art won't be ignored.
strangelet
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by strangelet »

i'm waiting for my models to get vs units of their own. i'm on mac and mostly ignorant of the processes of putting them into the game... besides that the wings VS exporter doesnt seem to work at all on mac
- - above and beyond - -
strangelet
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by strangelet »

... uhh is this going ahead? or have you got my shit already?
- - above and beyond - -
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

Is it there?
http://undone.clanlib.org/~grumbel/show.cgi?welcome
there is already many vegastrike stuffs
I see dead polygons....
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

this is a good idea.
MAINLY because i think all modellers should always be working with the source models, and never with the in game models.
The in game models should be the product of an export process, not of the modelling process in itself.

a way for someone to CO a model, and the C it in when they are done working on it would be perfect.

Especially if we're to add things like visible weapons, engines, afterburners, etc to models. We need to have them accessible to edit when needed.

-scheherazade
Surfdargent
Developer
Developer

Post by Surfdargent »

I'd like to remind all of you that I'm waiting for your artist stuff. Just PM me to know how to upload your artwork or to tell me where to get it.
Of course, there is no hurry.
Targon
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Targon »

scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

surf << next i catch you online, i'll send you the vwep models
they are about 40 megs total for the source model files.

-scheherazade
MasterDirk
Explorer
Explorer

Post by MasterDirk »

It's a nice repo, Targon, but I find it hard to locate things on it. What are the standard names? Searching for Aera just gets me some HUD images, no ships. Is this because they're not there yet, or am I being a stupid 1D10T again?
"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

- Michael Sinz
Targon
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Targon »

MasterDirk,
It was just a reference to the somewhat analogous system I've found while browsing HappyPenguin news.